• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Just got off the phone with MSP, the Kimber 1911 I purchased on Feb 23 was not faxed over until March 3rd by Christian Solidier. The very nice person I spoke to on the phone said that my paperwork had been seen today and that I had been sent for further review and she is estimating that it will be another 2 weeks before It will be reviewed. That will put me at 11 weeks or 77 days waiting.

If anyone is considering purchasing anything now don't go to Christian Soldier, I have heard other people complain of the same thing which Is why I called MSP in the first place. If you buy from them you will (at this point) add an additional 3 to 4 weeks to your wait time.

This is my first purchase from them and my last. That day I had been driving from shop to shop and they were the first one I found exactly what I was looking for. I would cancel the sale if I hadn't waited this long already.

Thanks for the post. I purchased 2/27 from them and now I know when the clock started.. assuming of course that mine was in that pile and not in any later one.....cripes.....

Turtle Man

Mar 17, 2013
    I got an email from MSP on Friday. They said my fax was recieved on 3/25 and that they are working on 3/1 & 3/2.

Finally. In to March. I'm the 14th. 46 days today. Does anyone know if these things are being processed seven days a week?

Miykael

Feb 14, 2013
    I know some people are saying they are on March, but i'm still waiting on a purchase from Feb 23rd. I wish I knew what the hold up was. I've never committed a crime, never had even a speeding ticket.

Hopefully soon I guess. All I can do is wait. If I don't hear anything by the end of the week i'll call. I've really been trying to be patient but it's been well over 60 days now.

Chasenificent

Designated Collector
    Jul 28, 2011
    Hagerstown MD
    I know some people are saying they are on March, but i'm still waiting on a purchase from Feb 23rd. I wish I knew what the hold up was. I've never committed a crime, never had even a speeding ticket.

Hopefully soon I guess. All I can do is wait. If I don't hear anything by the end of the week i'll call. I've really been trying to be patient but it's been well over 60 days now.

Definitly not easy to be patient after 60 days...this is stupid to wait this long. This wait time is just foreshadowing to the wait with these new MD gun laws coming. Honestly, if I didn't just buy a house I'd be looking to move.

Miykael

Feb 14, 2013
    Definitly not easy to be patient after 60 days...this is stupid to wait this long. This wait time is just foreshadowing to the wait with these new MD gun laws coming. Honestly, if I didn't just buy a house I'd be looking to move.

Funny you mention that. I am now actively preparing to leave the state. It may take a year or two but I can't raise a family in this state any longer. I will be moving as soon as I can afford it. That is... unless the western half of the state is able to secede and form "Free Maryland" or "West Maryland" whatever they want to call it :D

Chasenificent

Designated Collector
    Jul 28, 2011
    Hagerstown MD
    Funny you mention that. I am now actively preparing to leave the state. It may take a year or two but I can't raise a family in this state any longer. I will be moving as soon as I can afford it. That is... unless the western half of the state is able to secede and form "Free Maryland" or "West Maryland" whatever they want to call it :D

Good luck with the move...as for western md seceding...lol good luck with that one

Woodnickel

Mar 28, 2013
    East TN
    I spoke to Msp today. They said they are working on the "beginning of March". Also said that 60 percent of all submittals are going to review.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I got a reponse form the Commander to an email i Sent .

Thomas Williams -State Police- <thomas.williams@maryland.gov>
    4:56 PM (0 minutes ago)

to me, Ted.Sophocleus
    Mr. Txxx
    The current backlog for the firearms background check is 50 days. The law
    states that the state has seven days to complete the required checks. On
    the eighth day if a dealer has not heard from MSP the dealer may release
    the firearm without penalty.
    Most dealers have decided to hold onto the guns pending the completed
    checks and we applaud their patience.
    The Maryland General Assembly took action by providing us additional
    manpower and technology to help alleviate the problem. But it takes time
    to hire qualified people and purchase the right software and equipment. We
    are working on it. The problem creating the backlog is a combination of
    record high volume gun sales, old technology and limited qualified
    personnel.
    If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me
    directly.
    Tom

Last edited:

Woodnickel

Mar 28, 2013
    East TN
    I got a reponse form the Commander to an email i Sent .

Thomas Williams -State Police-
    4:56 PM (0 minutes ago)

Mr. Thomas
    The current backlog for the firearms background check is 50 days. The law
    states that the state has seven days to complete the required checks. On
    the eighth day if a dealer has not heard from MSP the dealer may release
    the firearm without penalty.
    Most dealers have decided to hold onto the guns pending the completed
    checks and we applaud their patience.
    The Maryland General Assembly took action by providing us additional
    manpower and technology to help alleviate the problem. But it takes time
    to hire qualified people and purchase the right software and equipment. We
    are working on it. The problem creating the backlog is a combination of
    record high volume gun sales, old technology and limited qualified
    personnel.
    If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me
    directly.
    Tom

Without penalty. Uh huh

Last edited:

tcfrank

Feb 22, 2013
    I completed paperwork on 3/1...not sure when it went to MSP.
    picked up on 4/26. I was expecting another week of waiting at least. Not sure why I had such a "fast" turn around compared to some others. I have a pretty common last name and I routinely have my background checked for work.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So do we know what day those under "review" are on?

60%!!!!! What??? That means that 60% of applicants turn up in some prohibitive condition in one of the 17 databases??? I find that incredibly hard to believe, unless one of those 17 databases is who came to Annapolis to testify or who has a late emissions test! This is BS!! Maybe they are creating a condition to delay even further...

*** Is an umbrella considered an impervious surface? Beware the tax man today, don't stand on the grass when the drone flies by. ***

Turtle Man

Mar 17, 2013
    So more than half are are going to review. I wonder if it's always been this way, or it's the MSP's way of buying more time than the "fifty days" they claim to be taking to ruturn a ND. Many here are way beyond that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom