• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    The trooper who handled the transfer said that when I get the 77r back I need to write the date that the handgun was transfered to my daughter. I told him, "I gave her the handgun yesterday, she is my daughter and it is a gift.

It is my understanding that I should get a copy of the 77r mailed to me, I fill out the date that the handgun was trasfered, sign it, and mail it back to the MSP. Is this correct?

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    The trooper who handled the transfer said that when I get the 77r back I need to write the date that the handgun was transfered to my daughter. I told him, "I gave her the handgun yesterday, she is my daughter and it is a gift.

It is my understanding that I should get a copy of the 77r mailed to me, I fill out the date that the handgun was trasfered, sign it, and mail it back to the MSP. Is this correct?

You are correct.:thumbsup:

BIGCHRISS197

Jul 4, 2013
    When you pick up the firearm, most dealers give you your copy of the 77r. Only thing missing is the ND stamp and the NTN. Unless MSP finds something later, that'll most likely be all you get.

This is my experience. others may be different.

Thats what my dealer told me when i called about mine, they said if you havent heard nothing by now youre good.

Losdog317

Feb 22, 2013
    Has any one been to Accurate Pawn On Rt1

I went there last week and that place is packed from wall to wall.
    Any one have knowledge of this store.
    Prices seem fair.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    When you pick up the firearm, most dealers give you your copy of the 77r. Only thing missing is the ND stamp and the NTN. Unless MSP finds something later, that'll most likely be all you get.

Thanks, yes that is what I got when I picked it up.

I was wondering if another copy of the 77 with a big ol' ND stamp may still be forthcoming.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Correct. I am still waiting on a gift transfer from my father to myself on September 24th. Guess I'll give them a call now.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    If the dealer did an 8-day release, are they supposed to forward the ND paperwork to the buyer when it eventually arrives or is that a dealer's decision whether or not to mail it out?

See next quoted post below.........

THIS ^^^^^.

This ^^^ is mostly correct BUT incorrect due to one thing omitted in your post; your daughter MUST sign it too.

Thanks, yes that is what I got when I picked it up.

I was wondering if another copy of the 77 with a big ol' ND stamp may still be forthcoming.

Nope.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Some catching up-Private transfer at MSP 10/27/13 paperwork to finish transfer received 4/5/14. You would think we were transferring a Class 3 weapon. Chris

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I just got off the telephone with Corporal Durkee and found out that my daughter's handgun gift transfer was approved on December 18, 2013. He said that my paperwork is most likely in a pile awaiting final dating and then it will be mailed out to me.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I just got off the telephone with Corporal Durkee and found out that my daughter's handgun gift transfer was approved on December 18, 2013. He said that my paperwork is most likely in a pile awaiting final dating and then it will be mailed out to me.

Hmm...I wonder how far you'd get if you owed the MSP something within 7 days, took 2 months to actually do it, and sat on it for another 3 months.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hmm...I wonder how far you'd get if you owed the MSP something within 7 days, took 2 months to actually do it, and sat on it for another 3 months.

Funny that you should ask... The trooper who performed the transfer told me that when I get the paperwork back to get it signed, dated and returned to the MSP within the week or I may get a visit. :rolleyes:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Funny that you should ask... The trooper who performed the transfer told me that when I get the paperwork back to get it signed, dated and returned to the MSP within the week or I may get a visit. :rolleyes:

Funny how that works, huh?

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    (d) (1) (i) A licensee who sells, rents, or transfers a regulated firearm in compliance with this subtitle shall forward a copy of the written notification of the completed transaction to the Secretary within 7 days after delivery of the regulated firearm.

Isn't the MSP the entity doing the transfer in a private sale or gift transaction? Maybe they broke the law; do you think?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Fun fact to know and share.... Did you know that the 77R is not in compliance with the law?

PSA 5-118...
    (c) Each firearm application shall contain the following statement: "Any false information supplied or statement made in this application is a crime which may be punished by imprisonment for a period of not more than 3 years, or a fine of not more than $5,000, or both.".

This does not appear on the form anywhere.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Isn't the MSP the entity doing the transfer in a private sale or gift transaction? Maybe they broke the law; do you think?

My mistake.
    Found the generic form in PSA 5-124
    (a) (1) A person who is not a licensee may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by a licensee to the Secretary.
    . (2) As an alternative to completing a secondary sale of a regulated firearm through a licensee, a prospective seller, lessor, or transferor and a prospective purchaser, lessee, or transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency.
    (e) (1) (i) A person who sells, rents, or transfers a regulated firearm in compliance with this subtitle shall forward a copy of the written notification of the completed transaction to the Secretary within 7 days after delivery of the regulated firearm.

Kinetic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 4, 2013
    (e) (1) (i) A person who sells, rents, or transfers a regulated firearm in compliance with this subtitle shall forward a copy of the written notification of the completed transaction to the Secretary within 7 days after delivery of the regulated firearm.

This is starting to make my head hurt.

In-family gift transfer at MSP barracks (much like in tc's case) in mid-August. Not a peep since. I have nothing on paper that shows anything about this transfer.

Guess I'll be giving Pikesville a call tomorrow.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is starting to make my head hurt.

In-family gift transfer at MSP barracks (much like in tc's case) in mid-August. Not a peep since. I have nothing on paper that shows anything about this transfer.

Guess I'll be giving Pikesville a call tomorrow.

That section of the statute applies AFTER the ND is received. "completed" means after the transfer happens (which is supposedly supposed to happen when the ND comes back, which is supposed to be issued in the 7 day timeframe the MSP claims for their background checks).

There are two signature blocks on the application, one for when the app goes in and the other for when the transfer occurs. So the second trip to MSP is for their records with both signatures. The FFL's made duplicates when they did a transfer before the ND came back (after 7 days to be compliant), and flagged them as duplicates. So people don't have to re-sign them when the ND comes back.

So in other words, they can take 8+ months to do their wizardry and randomly mail the disposition to you at any time, but by golly you better get that paperwork back in 7 days. No ifs ands or buts.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    So in other words, they can take 8+ months to do their wizardry and randomly mail the disposition to you at any time, but by golly you better get that paperwork back in 7 days. No ifs ands or buts.

So what happens if it's late or got lost in the mail or some other sort thing like that? I never got any confirmation that they got my post-transfer signed 77r after I mailed it.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So what happens if it's late or got lost in the mail or some other sort thing like that? I never got any confirmation that they got my post-transfer signed 77r after I mailed it.

You would not get a confirmation automatically, did you send it registered mail???

Who know what would happen on their end, but I have a feeling if they squawk about it, things could get interesting, given their long and drawn out not disapproval process.

You definitely should call, they have been done with August applications for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom