• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    For immediate action:

In response to a recent incident involving a bullet strike on an occupied building, the Howard County Council is acting in typical reactionary fashion by proposing an ordinance that will effectively end hunting within the county.

You may not be a hunter and question as to whether it would really matter if this ordinance passed. We contend that any assault on any shooting discipline is an assault on our community as a whole.

Just as we hope that our fellow citizens who do not own a handgun or AR15 will be there when we see the inevitable attempts to restrict them, we need to stand by sportsmen when their rights to hunt are under seige.

We have two items for you to act on:

1. Contact the Howard County Council and let them know where you stand (courtesy of the NRA):

Monday, January 05, 2009

Howard County Executive Ken Ulhman has proposed new hunting and firearm discharge regulations that will virtually ban all hunting within the county.

The measure would double to 300 yards the minimum distance for firing a weapon near a building. The minimum remains 150 yards for those at least 10 feet off the ground in a tree stand and firing downward. The measure also would ban firing a gun toward any building or camp designed for people within the gun's maximum range, or within 100 yards from a public road.

By using obscure language such as "within the gun's maximum range" hunters who have for generations hunted on lands, which have been encroached by development will be barred from future use.

Also, this measure is in direct contradiction to safety measures enacted by the state of Maryland. Maryland Natural Resources Code section 10-410(g) states; "A person, other than the owner or occupant, while hunting for any wild bird or mammal may not shoot or discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards, known as the "safety zone," of a dwelling house, residence, church, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or shoot at any wild bird or mammal while it is within this area, without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant. During any open hunting season, a person, other than the owner or occupant, may not hunt or chase willfully any wild bird or mammal within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant."

Please contact the members of the County Council and encourage them to OPPOSE this anti-hunting measure.

The general phone number for the County Council is (410) 313-2001 and the fax number is (410) 313-3297.

District 1:
    Courtney Watson, Council Member
    Email: cwatson@howardcountymd.gov

District 2:
    Calvin Ball, Council Member
    Email: cbball@howardcountymd.gov

District 3:
    Jen Terrasa, Vice Chairperson
    Email: jterrasa@howardcountymd.gov

District 4:
    Mary Kay Sigaty, Chair
    Email: mksigaty@howardcountymd.gov

District 5:
    Greg Fox, Council Member
    Email: gfox@howardcountymd.gov

2. Baltimore Sun Editorial Opposing the Howard County Restrictions

Believe it or not, the Baltimore Sun published an editorial in opposition to the Howard County hunting restrictions. This stands in stark contrast to the usual editorial stance that we have seen from them and it deserves recognition from our community. While not a perfect editorial, it is notable.

Letters to the editor can be sent to: letters@baltsun.com

Our view: Proposed Howard County hunting rules are wide of the mark

January 7, 2009

In a recent two-week period, hunters in Howard County killed 820 deer, a number that might seem surprising for a suburban county. But deer thrive in the mixed woodland and meadows of Howard's semi-rural landscape, where they both charm and annoy their human neighbors.

Now, members of the Howard County Council are wrestling with the question of what, if anything, they should do to protect residents from potential deadly fire from hunters encouraged to help keep the deer population under control.

The window of a Clarksville day care center was shattered by a hunter's slug last month. Concerned about a potential tragedy, County Executive Ken Ulman has proposed legislation that would double to 300 yards the buffer zone between hunters and buildings, prohibit hunting on parcels of less than 10 acres and forbid the firing of guns in the direction of buildings within their maximum range.

But Mr. Ulman has gone too far. The proposed rules would be challenging to enforce, are disproportionate to the danger and ignore the existing safe hunting rules enforced by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. For these reasons, the County Council should substantially alter or reject them. Make no mistake, guns are dangerous and must be used carefully. But experts say the proposed new buffer zone would be no safer than the old one and shooting limits based on the type of weapon would be useless unless due care is exercised by the hunter, a requirement now in state hunting rules. DNR officials also note that only a handful of errant shooting incidents have been reported in Maryland in recent decades.

If the council still wants to provide extra protection in heavily populated suburban areas, it could pass legislation to forbid all hunting in the county's Metropolitan District, where hunting on tracts of less than 10 acres is already prohibited. That zone encompasses more than a third of the county, including Columbia, Ellicott City and much of the area east of Route 29. It could be expanded to include more developed areas in the western part of the county. Even isolated, residential areas could be defined and included on a district map that is given to all licensed hunters.ll licensed hunters.

Whatever the council decides, the new rules won't take effect until next season. Deer hunting ends in a week and won't resume until September.

Maryland Shall Issue.org
    P.O. Box 314
    Libertytown, MD
    21762-0314
    ph. 240-446-6782

Mission Statement​
    "Maryland Shall Issue is an all volunteer, non-partisan effort dedicated to the preservation and advancement of all gunowners' rights in Maryland, with a primary goal of CCW reform to allow all law-abiding citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon; and to the education of the community to the awareness that 'shall issue' laws have, in all cases, resulted in decreased rates of violent crime."

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    as am i.

i'd like to say though that the balto sun also printed my pro-shall issue letter...there's still hope.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I agree with the stance of protecting all shooting sports and would like to point out that by the NRA description given, this bill probably bans all target shooting as well (except possibly indoor shooting).

Howard County Executive Ken Ulhman has proposed new hunting and firearm discharge regulations that will virtually ban all hunting within the county.

The measure would double to 300 yards the minimum distance for firing a weapon near a building. The minimum remains 150 yards for those at least 10 feet off the ground in a tree stand and firing downward. The measure also would ban firing a gun toward any building or camp designed for people within the gun's maximum range, or within 100 yards from a public road.

Magnum

Feb 5, 2007
    New Windsor, Maryland
    In my letters I`m going to include to ask the Council, that in the shape that our economy is in now, is the County Council prepared to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars of revenue to Howard County that comes from hunting licenses, sporting goods, and businesses that are involved in Natural Resources if they pass Ulhman`s bill.

I think if a lot of people mention the revenue that they will lose on this, most of the Council members should kill the bill real quick.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Anyone else taken the time to get their emails out?

Whether you hunt or not, this IS an issue that affects all of us. We complain about the so-called "Fudds" who won't stand up for us when it comes to the AWBs, Shall Issue, etc but are no better when it comes to supporting them.

We're all in this together and need to look at this issue from a wider perspective than just our shooting interests.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I actually like Magnum's idea about pointing out the revenue loss. I sent my e-mails already, but might do snail-mail and mention that point.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Sent a letter out. Told them that it will cost revenue and will bring lawsuits for auto repair and hospital bills because we dont have enough natural predators in this area to keep them in check.

Here's what I wrote to all five of them:

Greetings Mr. Fox,

I am writing this letter to express my view on the new regulations that if allowed to pass, will ban all hunting within Howard County.

By using obscure language such as "within the gun's maximum range" hunters who have for generations hunted on lands, which have been encroached by development will be barred from future use.

Also, this measure is in direct contradiction to safety measures enacted by the state of Maryland. Maryland Natural Resources Code section 10-410(g) states; "A person, other than the owner or occupant, while hunting for any wild bird or mammal may not shoot or discharge any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards, known as the "safety zone," of a dwelling house, residence, church, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or shoot at any wild bird or mammal while it is within this area, without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant. During any open hunting season, a person, other than the owner or occupant, may not hunt or chase willfully any wild bird or mammal within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the owner or occupant."

Below is part of an editorial from the Baltimore Sun which opposes the regulation:
    In a recent two-week period, hunters in Howard County killed 820 deer, a number that might seem surprising for a suburban county. But deer thrive in the mixed woodland and meadows of Howard's semi-rural landscape, where they both charm and annoy their human neighbors.

Now, members of the Howard County Council are wrestling with the question of what, if anything, they should do to protect residents from potential deadly fire from hunters encouraged to help keep the deer population under control.

The window of a Clarksville day care center was shattered by a hunter's slug last month. Concerned about a potential tragedy, County Executive Ken Ulman has proposed legislation that would double to 300 yards the buffer zone between hunters and buildings, prohibit hunting on parcels of less than 10 acres and forbid the firing of guns in the direction of buildings within their maximum range.

But Mr. Ulman has gone too far. The proposed rules would be challenging to enforce, are disproportionate to the danger and ignore the existing safe hunting rules enforced by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. For these reasons, the County Council should substantially alter or reject them. Make no mistake, guns are dangerous and must be used carefully. But experts say the proposed new buffer zone would be no safer than the old one and shooting limits based on the type of weapon would be useless unless due care is exercised by the hunter, a requirement now in state hunting rules. DNR officials also note that only a handful of errant shooting incidents have been reported in Maryland in recent decades.

If the council still wants to provide extra protection in heavily populated suburban areas, it could pass legislation to forbid all hunting in the county's Metropolitan District, where hunting on tracts of less than 10 acres is already prohibited. That zone encompasses more than a third of the county, including Columbia, Ellicott City and much of the area east of Route 29. It could be expanded to include more developed areas in the western part of the county. Even isolated, residential areas could be defined and included on a district map that is given to all licensed hunters.ll licensed hunters.

Mr. Fox, I am a father of two children. My wife and I are both working parents and I was very angered at when this occurred. I followed the story just to see if the hunter was caught or if some good will come out of this. This is not a step for good. This regulation is reactionary as it should be but it was not well thought. With the obscure writing, it will ban all hunting on Howard County and will defeat any conservation efforts towards the deer population. As a person that was involved in a deer accident, it is not a pretty sight and the damage to anyone traveling the roads. Even with the few predators we have in Maryland, it will not be enough to keep the population under control. That in turn will create more accidents for one, destruction of land and the herds will not be healthy leading to other diseases. I understand the measure and the basic rule for firing a weapon is to look at your target and what is beyond.

Due to the poor actions of one individual do not punish all of the hunters. Aside from revenue that it generates for Howard Co. It is also a wonderful friendship building past time. Even if I do not hunt every season, I still would like the population to be kept under control. They are vermin. Beautiful, but vermin none the less. If any of my vehicles are damaged or any of my family members are hurt because of poor herd conservation will I be able to expect Howard County to award me damages in case such an event happens? I for one know of at least 15 people that will bring legal action if anything like this occurs. I would rather see our county flourish than have to spend our tax dollars paying for accidents on a monthly basis. We could better use those funds for schools and roads.

Thank you,
    Me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom