• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    Howdy folks,
    I've been googling info on mre's and even searched this site but other than 'mreinfo.com' i haven't come across any site that gives me confidence in their products. Could anyone suggest a good place to order from?

Wife and I were watching the movie Contaigen and after it was over she actually said that she'd like to have some mre's...just in case. Now granted she actually works in the pharmaceutical industry and travels around the world investigating 'stuff' as she puts it, she was quite serious.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
    O2bwln

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Check out the link in my sig line.. we have plenty of info over there. MdShooters members make up a large part of our membership..

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    And we need your name, address, SSN, occupation, list of any weapons you own, and phone numbers of your closest friends for the Homeland Security list.

May 13, 2005
    For the money and quality, there are other options than MREs. If we need to get into it here that's all good, but I remember this discussion before.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Buy the Sopakco Sure-Pak MREs.

They are made buy a real MRE maker, have more "stuff", like a non-picknic-type spoon, snack, etc. than phony-baloney ones. You usually have to buy the FRH heaters separate from the MREs, this seems to be the case with all civilian makers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For the money and quality, there are other options than MREs.
    This. You've got to remember that you're paying a fairly high premium on MREs for the portability and longevity factors. For long-term food prep, there are far better options.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Buy the Sopakco Sure-Pak MREs.

They are made buy a real MRE maker, have more "stuff", like a non-picknic-type spoon, snack, etc. than phony-baloney ones. You usually have to buy the FRH heaters separate from the MREs, this seems to be the case with all civilian makers.

This is where I buy mine:

http://www.shop.meyerscustomsupply.com/

I use them when at the Undisclosed Location while I'm working on the property because they are no-brainer lunches that mostly taste pretty good.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Forgot to add, that for individual meals, these folks do a good job:

http://beprepared.com/

You'll end up with a catalog in your mailbox about every two weeks though.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    For most suburban dwellers:

More than likely, in most SHTF scenarios, you would be bunkering down where you are. Especially the one in the OP's movie. Bunker down till the contagion burns itself out. So ... portability would not be an immediate issue.

Canned food, would be a better buy IMHO. Canned food spoilage dates are sufficiently long. Generally about 3yrs and can be viable long after it's outdate. Gather up enough canned food for at least a minimum of 3 months supply. More is better here!

- Canned food cost much less. Decent quality MRE's generally run $6-$9ea even when bought by the pallet. Canned food costs per can generally run from about $1.00 - $3.00/can depending on what your buying and where. Meat & vegetable stews are some of my fav's. For the cost of one MRE you can get from 3 to 7 regular cans of food.

- Cans may not be as mobile if you get flushed out of your bunker but chances are, if indeed you do get flushed out - your dead anyway. Keep as many MRE's on hand as you can carry as a backup.

Personally, I save canned food, it's cheaper and has much more flavor though some MRE's taste pretty good - so - I keep as many MRE's on hand as can be carried in case I do have to get out of dodge. Stocking any more MRE's that you can carry is a waste, you'll have to leave them behind, unless you run out of canned food or take on additional members to your team. Most would then be left behind. IMHO!

Don't forget water!!!!!! GUNS!!! And AMMO!!!!!! And, plan, plan, plan so your preps will be flexible. Even a bad plan is better than no plan.

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    Canned food, would be a better buy. Canned food out dates are sufficient long. Generally about 3yrs and can be viable long after it's outdate.

Make sure you have a manual can opener also. That fancy battery operated one will be useless when when you really need it.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Make sure you have a manual can opener also. That fancy battery operated one will be useless when when you really need it.

Good point! :lol2: Better stock more than one of these!
    OH YEA! Nothing worse that trying to open a can with a screw driver!

I bought a bunch of these really cheap and spread them amongst my different bags and vehicles.

41QX-HX53PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They are terrible to work with, but have come in very handy in different situations.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I agree that MREs are a short term solution. It's a lot easier to throw a case in in the vehicle however if you do have to leave. They are expensive per meal but have a whole day's calories or more in a single meal unless you are chopping wood all day or something. They are also good if you have to go to work in inclement weather bring a few in case you aren't coming home and that green food dispenser hamburger starts to look good. Just remember to take it outside to fire up that FRH or someone may think you're a shoebomber or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom