• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expendables

Sep 8, 2010
    Parkville, MD
    Hey guys I need some help and advice.

I want to purchase an MP5 pistol thats on the handgun roster. Does anyone own an MP5 SBR thats 29 inches? My goal is to SBR it but if its impossible in MD then I'd rather not buy a 2,000 dollar pistol.

Im aware of current SBR laws and threads, just looking for some specific advice in reference to SBRing an MP5 pistol because its my dream gun!

Thank You!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I'm in the same boat (see this). Since I don't like the look of the AR-style stocks on the '5, my solution was to get two A3 stocks and cut 'n' paste (i.e., cut-out and weld-in) ~one inch of the metal bars from one stock to the other to meet the 29" OAL requirement. Initially, the gunsmith told me "no problem", but, now, they're saying the metal may not be amenable to welding and I'm supposed to get the final word....well, yesterday.

My backup plan—since MP5 end caps're easy to swap—is to just use one of the stocks, as-is, outside Maryland (e.g., at the NRA range, which I frequent) and use a sling in-state.

Expendables

Sep 8, 2010
    Parkville, MD
    Yea I'm looking at the Zenith Z-5RS, I'm gonna sig brace it while I'm waiting for my stamp, but I'd rather not pay that for a M4 stock. HK Parts has a UMP stock that is 11 inches from the pin hole which would put the OAL at 28.9 so there's gotta be a way!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My backup plan—since MP5 end caps're easy to swap—is to just use one of the stocks, as-is, outside Maryland (e.g., at the NRA range, which I frequent) and use a sling in-state.

You mean less than 29" SBR out of state and pistol in state?

If so, you can't get the Form 1 or Form 4 approved if you live in MD for an SBR less than 29" long.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, but you have to make it 29" minimum to get to approved to make or buy in MD.

Same as with an AR, you can have a shorter upper, that you only use outside MD. As long as you keep the longer upper that the Form 1 or 4 is based on.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Would an legal MP5 pistol on the MD Handgun register be considered a copy of an HK94 when turned into an SBR?

No, SBRs are still technically considered handguns under the Public Safety Article, therefore handguns cannot be assault long guns. If that makes your head hurt, don't worry that just means you're a logical human being trying to understand MD gun laws.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    As described in another thread, I picked up a not-too-silly-looking, AR-style Magpul stock that made the 29" OAL and used that for my Form 1 stamp (approved). And, as it turns out, the Magpul stock's so much more comfortable that I don't even mind having it on the '5. But when shooting in VA, I've been kitting it out with the OEM A3 stock.

That said, I think schnejerator's design is a brilliant use of the A2 stock and worth considering if you've got the machinist skills (and tooling).

schnejerator

dabbled in pacifism once
    Sep 26, 2014
    haggistucky
    As described in another thread, I picked up a not-too-silly-looking, AR-style Magpul stock that made the 29" OAL and used that for my Form 1 stamp (approved). And, as it turns out, the Magpul stock's so much more comfortable that I don't even mind having it on the '5. But when shooting in VA, I've been kitting it out with the OEM A3 stock.

That said, I think schnejerator's design is a brilliant use of the A2 stock and worth considering if you've got the machinist skills (and tooling).

Thanks. I almost went with the AR style too - there are SO many options and it's super easy.

FWIW I have a small mill and am a not an experienced machinist. I think this could be done on a drill press too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom