• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    So...it looks like I will be moving to Loudon county with the fiancé. Couple quick questions that I am confused on:
    1. I have to get my vehicle inspected, before I get tags and a va DL right?

2. You cancel md's tags, insurance and DL after you get Virginias, correct?

3. How long after getting a Va DL do you have to wait to apply for a concealed weapons permit? How long does if usually take?

Any other tips are welcome as well. I still plan to stay in MSI and come down to Annapolis. I'm not giving up on my native born state.
    Thank you,
    Tom

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I believe you have to wait 30 days after becoming a resident before getting your CCW permit but not 100% positive.

You apply for your VA CCW from the court in the county you live in. They have 45 days to get that to you. If they don't your receipt becomes your permit until it does arrive.

Join VCDL if you have not.

www.vcdl.org

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm only a couple of months behind you. The vehicle inspection is done before tags are issued. Don't cancel any tags or insurance until new ones issued.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    So...it looks like I will be moving to Loudon county with the fiancé. Couple quick questions that I am confused on:

3. How long after getting a Va DL do you have to wait to apply for a concealed weapons permit? How long does if usually take?

Any other tips are welcome as well. I still plan to stay in MSI and come down to Annapolis. I'm not giving up on my native born state.
    Thank you,
    Tom

Welcome to Loudoun County. You do not have to wait 30 days to apply for your CHP. Do it immediately. Mine took 28 days. The 30 day wait applies to purchasing a firearm.

Hansohn Brothers

Jul 3, 2012
    Welcome to the Old Dominion! Yes, apply for your CHP as soon as you have your DL. 30 day wait from issuance of DL to purchase firearms except suppressors.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13

You should have your inspection sticker before changing tags, license no worries, it's about the car

tags yes, just change insurance address and tag info with insurance. When you get your VA DL, they give you piece of paper and your MD license with void stamped out of it, then in 5 days or so you get your VA DL.

You don't have to wait for CHP, go same day, takes about 15 days to get in mail, you do however, have to wait 30 days to purchase firearm after getting license

Thank you,
    Tom
    See answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom