• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You have a good point. However, the answer is a lot more complex than what you summarized in two bullet items. Also, there are many other reasons not to move here other than just bad gun laws.

When it comes to the issue of 2A, it isn't that complicated. More like minded people that support 2A is a good thing.

We do need to hang together. Sad thing is when it comes time to vote most RURAL people don't even vote. PG, Howard and Baltimore counties run the show. That is where we need to start.

The rural areas do vote, the issue is, there are more folks that (think density) in those areas. We have to offset that some how. Part of that is the Dino movement and striking in the primaries where and when we can. The other part is to welcome new residents that are like minded and support them, and hope they move into the politically dense areas.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    New residents also bring the potential for additional voters (spouses, children, etc.) that are 2A friendly and will vote appropriately.

Plus, if in the case of an entire unit moving here (think BRAC), for every one that checks in here there could be 5- 10 that don't and don't understand the message.

If we get that one, that check in here, to be on board, then they, in turn, can help educate those other "newbies" to the issues.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well IANAL, but IIRC if the lower was not assembled into a now banned configuration prior to Oct 1, 2-013, it couldn't be assembled after Oct 1, 2013.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

:rolleyes:

Actually the word from MSP is that they have not come to a final conclusion about this.

So if you do so, you MIGHT be in violation of the law.

So, for now, I would assemble it into a legal configuration or wait a while.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That was my impression and opinion of my local FFL.

You might want to email MSP. A couple of us did and that is NOT the answer they gave (well at least not 2 out of 3 times).

Question:

Are lower receivers purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013 allowed to be built now (September 2014 with no previous assembly) into a banned configuration? ie with a non-HBAR barrel profile?

Answer from MSP:

Sir,

We are waiting for a response from the State for the very same questions that you ask. Unfortunately, I do not know when we will have additional information to provide. Once we receive the information, we will post an FAQ or an Advisory on our website.

Thank you,

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Welcome to Bel Air, hope you like traffic, and to wait 2-3 hours for a table at most places to eat a good dinner on the weekends!

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    ( Numbers only slightly exagerated to make point)

I fell sympathy and even pity for all 12 2A supporting gun owners in NJ. But I can't see moving there just to bolster their numbers to 13.

For the specific question of one person/ family to subject themselves to not justMd gun laws , but taxes , and overall Md environment would be a poor decision for Them. If they were looking to establish a colony of 10K voters all moving into the same legislative district it might make a small difference.

But the idea of delibertly giving people advise counter to their own intrests in hope of making a small difference for us politically just feels sleazy and dishonest.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Sad thing is when it comes time to vote most RURAL people don't even vote. PG, Howard and Baltimore counties run the show. That is where we need to start.

Yet if they did, in record turn out, numerically, they are still defeated.

Hell, my area has been folded into MoCo. It extends past us into Washington County along the Potomac.

A promise you, my representative does not represent me :sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Because a stripped lower is a firearm as well, not necessarily a rifle. I'm trying to think like MSP would. IMO they are not going to interpret anything liberally if they can further restrict it. A rifle is a firearm, but a firearm is not necessarily a rifle. So it goes on a 77r. I'm only conjecturing here obviously.

I don't see them allowing it, but we will have to wait and see.

ETA_I should have said MSP doesn't NECESSARILY consider a lower a rifle. That's why it can be an O or a A on the 77r.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Because a stripped lower is a firearm as well, not necessarily a rifle. I'm trying to think like MSP would. IMO they are not going to interpret anything liberally if they can further restrict it. A rifle is a firearm, but a firearm is not necessarily a rifle. So it goes on a 77r. I'm only conjecturing here obviously.

I don't see them allowing it, but we will have to wait and see.

ETA_I should have said MSP doesn't NECESSARILY consider a lower a rifle. That's why it can be an O or a A on the 77r.

You do know that once it has a > 16 " upper on it its a rifle under Md law. Any > 16" upper. If it has < 16 " its a hand gun. So if it had a < 16 upper followed by, > 16 " upper its either grandfathered or its no longer possible to disassembe and reassemble a non hbar in the state of Md.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    ( Numbers only slightly exagerated to make point)

I fell sympathy and even pity for all 12 2A supporting gun owners in NJ. But I can't see moving there just to bolster their numbers to 13.

For the specific question of one person/ family to subject themselves to not justMd gun laws , but taxes , and overall Md environment would be a poor decision for Them. If they were looking to establish a colony of 10K voters all moving into the same legislative district it might make a small difference.

But the idea of delibertly giving people advise counter to their own intrests in hope of making a small difference for us politically just feels sleazy and dishonest.

I moved to Maryland in 1991, from Virginia. My take home pay decreased by $50 per week, $2,600 per year. My auto insurance increased by 100%, from $400 per year to about $850.

They was 23 years ago, you can do the math.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You do know that once it has a > 16 " upper on it its a rifle under Md law. Any > 16" upper. If it has < 16 " its a hand gun. So if it had a < 16 upper followed by, > 16 " upper its either grandfathered or its no longer possible to disassembe and reassemble a non hbar in the state of Md.

I do know that. The OP was a virgin lower purchased prior to 10-1-13. It was never a rifle so if MSP may interpret it as I think they will, they're gonna say you didn't possess the now banned firearm before 10-1-13, so you can't possess it now.

The question was can he bring a lower never assembled into anything into MD and then make a banned firearm with it. My opinion is no, but maybe MSP will allow it.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3447593&postcount=5

Just my opinion.

Feb 28, 2013
    Hell, my area has been folded into MoCo. It extends past us into Washington County along the Potomac.

A promise you, my representative does not represent me :sad20:

I hear ya. Elijah Cummings sure as hell don't represent me.:mad54:

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I was told that upon moving to MD you were not required to register your handguns, of course this was before SB281, but as long as you already owned it the thought was they can heavily encourage you to register them, but can't make you

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I was told that upon moving to MD you were not required to register your handguns, of course this was before SB281, but as long as you already owned it the thought was they can heavily encourage you to register them, but can't make you

not so, you have 90 days from boots on the ground to register.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    not so, you have 90 days from boots on the ground to register.

Re-read his comment, he was told that before FSA2013, which was correct at the time.

And the requirement is 90 days after becoming a resident, not boot on the ground.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    "As of the prevailing opinion as of the timong of HB281 aka FSA 2013" q bare stripped reciever that might somehow be assembled into a form that is considered Cosmetically incoRrect , would be forever considered an regulated firearm of the mpost possiblavy Evil type by its mefe exustance. A cpl ydars later the forces of Evil and/or their mibions , and/or reaslnably honest citizens blackmailed into doung their biddoing , hint that they might totally overturn previous ruling in good faith , retroactivly criminalize thousands of Md citizens.

( Insert expression of dusmay,)

(Insert expression of prostituting rhemselves).

(Insert expression of said hypocrite whores ; conniting a rude act involving certain hind quarters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom