• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    These attacks on our Second Amendment don't seem to be going away any time soon. After "assault weapons" it will be "high power sniper rifles" then "SWAT-Style Pump Action Shotguns." Granted, this has not yet passed, but my gut tells me it will.

I need some advice. I'm originally from PA and am considering moving back (just across the line, not back to my hometown). Does anyone know of reasons other than guns to justify this to my wife (who is supportive of the idea)? If we move, my commute will double to 45 minutes +

Are PA taxes better than MD (income and property)?

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    We need all the help we can get here, especially for those of who do not have the option to move, but...

Income Taxes are 3.07% I believe, then something like 1.5% local...and then add in a school tax which is something like 4K a year. Property taxes are generally higher, but depend on the district. The tax rate overall ends up being slightly lower. Sales tax is 6%, the same.

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    How far is your commute to work today?

How valuable is your time? The time that I've saved working and living locally was funneled into having the ability to sleep in longer and using my "extra" time for working out.

What happens when gas is above $5 dollars? Can you afford it?

Is the cost of wear and tear on your vehicles worth it?

It would suck if you moved and settled in to have the same type of gun laws be enacted in PA.

Food for thought.

Jh

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    How far is your commute to work today?
    It would suck if you moved and settled in to have the same type of gun laws be enacted in PA.

This is what worries me in the current political climate. There may be few places, relatively close anyway, to run.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    These attacks on our Second Amendment don't seem to be going away any time soon. After "assault weapons" it will be "high power sniper rifles" then "SWAT-Style Pump Action Shotguns." Granted, this has not yet passed, but my gut tells me it will.

I need some advice. I'm originally from PA and am considering moving back (just across the line, not back to my hometown). Does anyone know of reasons other than guns to justify this to my wife (who is supportive of the idea)? If we move, my commute will double to 45 minutes +

Are PA taxes better than MD (income and property)?

Unique among the states, PA does not tax retirement income, including annuities, 401K and social security and (for federal workers) TSP income. It is a good reason to move there all by itself. Shall issue is just delicious gravy

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    So, hypothetically, if I was a federal employee in the Baltimore area, I'd come out much ahead in retirement?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So, hypothetically, if I was a federal employee in the Baltimore area, I'd come out much ahead in retirement?

Yes, MD exempts retirement income too, but has a cap of $27,100. No cap with PA. You save thousands in taxes, especially if you retire under CSRS (rather than FERCs)

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    PA does not tax any retirement income. Just don't move into an urban area with the higher property tax rates.

State/county property taxes are next to nothing in Franklin County (avg 400-800). But watch the school districts. School boards are autonomous. They answer to no one. Chambersburg area is the worst. Retirees are eligible for a homestead tax reduction, and that helps.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    PA does not tax any retirement income. Just don't move into an urban area with the higher property tax rates.

State/county property taxes are next to nothing in Franklin County (avg 400-800). But watch the school districts. School boards are autonomous. They answer to no one. Chambersburg area is the worst. Retirees are eligible for a homestead tax reduction, and that helps.

Karl,

Do you know anything about school taxes in southern or southwestern York County or where I could find the information?

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    If I could move today, I would move south or west. F the northeast. And VA is no longer a safe option in my opinion.

If the fight is lost here, my Plan B is West VA eventually. They seem like a place that would just never consider some of the ridiculous legislation being proposed

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    My wife and I plan to move to PA in a few years, not quite for the same reasons as you, but for a cheaper home, lower taxes, more land, etc etc. Better gun laws and rights, as esqappellate said, are an added bonus. I'm pretty confident we'll be able to land good jobs there. We're just waiting for our youngest to finish high school (2016) then the hunt begins.

I have lived here my whole life except 2 years in TN (awesome).

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Unique among the states, PA does not tax retirement income, including annuities, 401K and social security and (for federal workers) TSP income. It is a good reason to move there all by itself. Shall issue is just delicious gravy

:thumbsup: That's my situation in a nutshell. It's not all about guns, it quality of life. For me, it's looking like PA more and more everyday. :D

RedWolf762

Jan 18, 2013
    Freedom
    I agree that this state is going down the crapper at break-neck speed and have considered moving to PA or WV myself at times. But before we flee to escape persecution, let us stand together one last time and fight! O'Malley and his crew are coming at us with all they got... Let this be our' finest hour...

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    I agree that this state is going down the crapper at break-neck speed and have considered moving to PA or WV myself at times. But before we flee to escape persecution, let us stand together one last time and fight! O'Malley and his crew are coming at us with all they got... Let this be our' finest hour...

WOLVERINES!!

Sorry I couldn't resist. Seriously though, agreed.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown

I'm not leaving if I don't have to. I'll go down swinging first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom