• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Flying up in the end of May to check the area out to see if it's worth the move or not.

What area are you looking at?

A friendly reminder that NY also has a hands free cell phone law. If driving on I-290, watch out for the cops.

buffalodan

Feb 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I grew up in Buffalo as well, can't give you any advice on guns since I didn't own one while up there but food is another story. Try Pizza Junction (Pizza, try the beef on weck pizza, sounds crazy but it's awesome), Might Taco, Ted's, and get a beef on weck. Also fish fry's on friday are big up there and you can get great ones at a lot of places.

I have family memebers that are cops up there if you have any questions about how they interact with gun owners I'll be happy to ask.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Beef on a weck is good. "Salt Potatoes" are as well.
    Salt Rising? Not so much so (think of bread that smells of old sweat socks!)

Proto

Feb 24, 2011
    Salisbury
    I grew up in Buffalo as well, can't give you any advice on guns since I didn't own one while up there but food is another story. Try Pizza Junction (Pizza, try the beef on weck pizza, sounds crazy but it's awesome), Might Taco, Ted's, and get a beef on weck. Also fish fry's on friday are big up there and you can get great ones at a lot of places.

I have family memebers that are cops up there if you have any questions about how they interact with gun owners I'll be happy to ask.

Please do get more information for me!

buffalodan

Feb 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    OK so I sent an email out asking about how local LEO's interact with gun owners to see if there was anything to be aware of. To give her some background I mentioned the transporting a handgun to the range and stopping for gas/lunch etc. Here is most of her response (left out the family talk):

It really depends on the type of permit that he has. If he has a carry permit, it has to be concealed and he can carry it where ever he pleases, (within reason-airports and I believe schools are definitely out), and if he just has a permit, there are limitations about back and forth to the range etc. You can stop for gas, I don't think that anyone would split those hairs, but if that is the only kind of permit he has, or is applying for, he should just stick to the rules they will give him with their permit. Their are also several other types of permits, but I do not know the names off of the top of my head, but when you stop a person with one, they present it and it tells the exact stipulations.
    I always advise a safe if he has numerous guns.
    Any other questions feel free.

So if you have any specific questions let me know and I'll pass them along, sounds like for the most part they are gun friendly and as with most things NY state permit crazy.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Most "good" NY counties will issue either a "Restricted- business property", "Restricted- Hunting & target shooting" or "Unrestricted". The unrestricted is a full carry permit and businesses do not have signs saying no CCW allowed.

Erie County, Buffalo area, will generally issue only a restricted permit but after a few years, two to three, you can apply to get the restrictions removed and have a full carry permit. That came from the manager of a Buffalo gun shop in November of 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom