• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I ordered a set of Talleys for a Remington 721. When they arrived I saw that they are the one piece ring and mount all in one. Its my fault, I ordered them by mistake. Is there any reason you wouldnt use these? Should I send them back?

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    if the scope fits, as in proper eye relief and the right height, these type rings would be my preferred mount. A one-piece quality mount such as those eliminate alignment issues and one less thing to get lose. I'd say you lucked out if they will work.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    if the scope fits, as in proper eye relief and the right height, these type rings would be my preferred mount. A one-piece quality mount such as those eliminate alignment issues and one less thing to get lose. I'd say you lucked out if they will work.
    Sorry,I described the rings I got in the wrong way. The whole unit isnt one piece. Each ring has its own base integrated on it.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Are you talking about a one-piece BASE that the individual rings attach to?

If so, one-piece bases are typically rigid and there is no real reason not to use it as long as you can satisfy eye relief as 'pre64hunter' states above.

If you are talking about the integrated ring + base, as long as you can get good alignment, which depends on the precision of the rifle's scope mount screw holes, they're fine. On the tubular Remington action, the integrated ring/base can often be turned around (not swapped) to slightly vary the position to allow for eye relief. just make sure your scope tube is aligned with the ring axes and lies correctly in the bottom of the rings before tightening.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I ordered a set of Talleys for a Remington 721. When they arrived I saw that they are the one piece ring and mount all in one. Its my fault, I ordered them by mistake. Is there any reason you wouldnt use these? Should I send them back?
    I just installed two sets of Talley rings on two rifles I think like the ones you are describing. They're L shaped.
    With new optics one rifle required 0 windage adjustment and the other was about 1 moa when I zeroed them at 200.
    Both rifles are 30 cal and Im pleased with the way the system works so far.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Are you talking about a one-piece BASE that the individual rings attach to?

If so, one-piece bases are typically rigid and there is no real reason not to use it as long as you can satisfy eye relief as 'pre64hunter' states above.

If you are talking about the integrated ring + base, as long as you can get good alignment, which depends on the precision of the rifle's scope mount screw holes, they're fine. On the tubular Remington action, the integrated ring/base can often be turned around (not swapped) to slightly vary the position to allow for eye relief. just make sure your scope tube is aligned with the ring axes and lies correctly in the bottom of the rings before tightening.
    It doesnt have a separate base. Each ring has a built in one. Like DOCO said.....they are L shaped.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I just installed two sets of Talley rings on two rifles I think like the ones you are describing. They're L shaped.
    With new optics one rifle required 0 windage adjustment and the other was about 1 moa when I zeroed them at 200.
    Both rifles are 30 cal and Im pleased with the way the system works so far.
    Thats good to know. I have never used these before. I wanted to assume that since Talley makes them, they should be good to go, but I try not to assume anymore. I have mounted them and everything lined up fine. Shooting the rifle will have to wait for now....I just had cataract surgery. New optics also, so I hope I have the same outcome as you .

Thanks Brian

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It doesnt have a separate base. Each ring has a built in one. Like DOCO said.....they are L shaped.
    Yes, that makes them the "integrated ring" I mentioned above. The "L" shape (offset) is what potentially allows you to reverse them for position changes that may make your eye relief better.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This is what they look like. I used these on my 308 until I needed it to shoot further than 200yds. I had to buy a rail with MOA built into it and separate rings. I personally prefer these due to the simplicity. It's much less of a hassle to mount these than a rail, then rings. Also these don't obstruct the ejection port so you don't have to worry about ejection issues like with some rails. It also makes the mount more streamlined for an esthetics perspective.
    products-2a5ffdc8-1f11-438d-8e42-f9d3abe6229c_10e25d22-57ae-4acc-b38e-ceb248687259-400x386.jpg

sddefault.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Earlier I described installing two sets of Tally rings that were L shaped but that was incorrect. It was the second set that were "L" shaped because they were receiver mounted.
    The first set pictured here needed a base to be installed to manage the front ring because the forward one needed mounted on the barrel.
    One other thing I did recall from the one piece individual bases, the start of the thread for one of the screws needed touched up with a stone to dress the starting threads so it would start smoothly even when the threads for the tap holes were chased out.
    I remember another forum member was having difficulty recently with starting a lever screw or something like that which had blue thread sealant applied to it so at the very least, I would be mindful of the supplied screws to be sure no problems develop when they are fitted. They were 6/48 screws and the threads were pressed instead of turned it looked to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpg
      IMG_1635.jpg
      421.7 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads