• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    Long gun or regulated pistol in MD? I got a shop in Keyser, WV that sold one to a MD resident and says he treats them like handguns. I've thought otherwise. I tried calling MSP in Pikesville, but looks like they are closed for a snow day.

Discuss...

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Long gun or regulated pistol in MD? I got a shop in Keyser, WV that sold one to a MD resident and says he treats them like handguns. I've thought otherwise. I tried calling MSP in Pikesville, but looks like they are closed for a snow day.

Discuss...
    Not regulated, unless some store owner is setting their own policy or making up law. For an out of state dealer to try to understand MDs law...well, I can't blame them for being extra cautious, but what he is doing is his policy.

It's clearly not a pistol. If a PG on a shotgun made it a pistol, it would be illegal to install one, as this would constitute making a pistol from a long gun.

If it's barrel length is over 18" and it's overall length exceeds 26-1/2", then it's a long gun. Shorten either measurement and it's either a SBS or AOW and is federally regulated as per Title II firearms law.

If it transferred like a handgun, than this would imply a regulated firearm, but it's very easy to see that it's not on the regulated list: http://msp.maryland.gov/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf (FYI, the Mossy 500 BullPup is a whole nuther critter).

I've heard you have to be 21 but don't need a 77R
    You heard inaccurate information. In this situation, either it's a long gun and transfers on a 4473 to anyone over 18, *OR*, it's a regulated firearm and transfers on a 4473 with a 77R and the buyer must be over 21. There is no hybrid, any Title 1 firearm requiring a minimum age of 21 requires a 77R. In this situation, we have a long gun that will transfer on a 4473 to anyone over 18 and otherwise qualified.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Not regulated, unless some store owner is setting their own policy or making up law. For an out of state dealer to try to understand MDs law...well, I can't blame them for being extra cautious, but what he is doing is his policy.

It's clearly not a pistol. If a PG on a shotgun made it a pistol, it would be illegal to install one, as this would constitute making a pistol from a long gun.

If it's barrel length is over 18" and it's overall length exceeds 26-1/2", then it's a long gun. Shorten either measurement and it's either a SBS or AOW and is federally regulated as per Title II firearms law.

If it transferred like a handgun, than this would imply a regulated firearm, but it's very easy to see that it's not on the regulated list: http://msp.maryland.gov/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf (FYI, the Mossy 500 BullPup is a whole nuther critter).

You heard inaccurate information. In this situation, either it's a long gun and transfers on a 4473 to anyone over 18, *OR*, it's a regulated firearm and transfers on a 4473 with a 77R and the buyer must be over 21. There is no hybrid, any Title 1 firearm requiring a minimum age of 21 requires a 77R. In this situation, we have a long gun that will transfer on a 4473 to anyone over 18 and otherwise qualified.

Yeah, I figured that was more likely the case. I do know that some shops say 21 and only 4473 'em. However, when I was a PA resident and bought a PG Mossberg I had to do pistol ppw.

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    Should be one like this:

51340.jpg

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I am not a lawyer nor a dealer, but this is how it goes to my understanding. Debra has it right.

Since it is not a shotgun (to be fired from the shoulder in order to be a shotgun) or a rifle it is not able to sold to someone under 21 by an FFL.
    Since it is not a MD regulated firearm (it is not a pistol and even if it was it has a barrel over 16" excluding it from regulated firearms definition and is not on the AW list for long guns) it is not treated as one by the state.

To get around the fed problem, if a dealer puts a butt stock on the Mossberg and sells it with it attached even though it is sold with the" pistol grip only" in the box, it is a shotgun (meant to be fired from the shoulder) and one can sell to someone 18 years old.
    (This is based on a 1998 ATF newsletter and I am sure nothing has changed)

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Novus is correct - federally. The feds only exempted longguns (shotguns and rifles) from the age 21 requirement. Pistol grip "other"s can only be sold to those 21 and over according to the instructions on the 4473.

As far as dealers putting on a standard stock, that may raise some unlicensed "manufacturing" issues with the with the federales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom