Mossberg Model 590 Shockwave 14-1/2" .410 legality/hoops?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A friend asked me about the legality of getting a Shockwave .410 for his wife and I don't know the answer, nor do I know how this transfers.
    https://www.mossberg.com/590-shockwave-410-bore.html

I guess there are two levels: Maryland law and federal law.

a) Overall length is 26-3/8" - does this satisfy Maryland law?

b) Barrel length is 14-3/8" and it's a smoothbore with the pistol grip - does that make this an AOW?

I would appreciate if someone would explain this to me very slowly.

Thank you,
    Ed

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    They're considerd a pistol in MD, and transfer on a 77R. They're on the MD handgun roster.

They're legal on the federal level because the definition of shotgun includes the phrase "meant to be fired from the shoulder". Since these guns never had a shoulder stock, that does not apply, and they are not shotguns. They are 'other' but not NFA, because overall length exceeds 26".

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Here's more details from the guys that make the Raptor (birdshead style) grip:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Here's more details from the guys that make the Raptor (birdshead style) grip:

Great, THANKS!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have shot one in 12 gauge and it was not pleasant. I'm sure a .410 bore would be better, but it isn't my cup of tea.
    Yeah, 12 ga is a bit much. I found the 20 ga to be very manageable. A .410 should be great.
    Agreed to both, but we're talking about an older lady with limited hand strength and very little experience with firearms in general. Can't rack a semi-auto slide, can't fire a revolver double action but, using two hands, can probably direct a few 000 buckshot where they'll do the most good.

Agreed to both, but we're talking about an older lady with limited hand strength and very little experience with firearms in general. Can't rack a semi-auto slide, can't fire a revolver double action but, using two hands, can probably direct a few 000 buckshot where they'll do the most good.
    Has she considered a Mossberg 500 Persuader? The bird head grip on the Shockwave is very uncomfortable to shoot and I'm not recoil sensitive.
    mb50138__03915.1685463592.jpg

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Has she considered a Mossberg 500 Persuader? The bird head grip on the Shockwave is very uncomfortable to shoot and I'm not recoil sensitive.
    mb50138__03915.1685463592.jpg

Most people feel like the birdshead grip is easier to handle than a pistol grip. The recoil pushes back rather than twisting your wrist.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Ive shot clays w/ a 12ga 500 Persuader once :) Held it out somewhat aimed. First shot the recoil caused my grip hand to contact my teeth. No blood. After that I got the hang of it (stiff arm your non trigger hand.) Basically had to shoot as soon as you saw/heard the clay come off the launcher - 1 second max. Else it got too far away to hit w/o a choke. Was fun but I wouldn't want one even for home defense.
    I understand the OPs problem. Someone very weak might be able to run one. Though still have to think a stocked model would be easier to aim/control. Maybe put a laser on it if it just has a grip/birdshead. Shooting from the hip your still need to aim pretty well at close distance with buckshot.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...I understand the OPs problem. Someone very weak might be able to run one. Though still have to think a stocked model would be easier to aim/control. Maybe put a laser on it if it just has a grip/birdshead. Shooting from the hip your still need to aim pretty well at close distance with buckshot.
    I had already suggested a full-stock model, which I too find easier to point intuitively. Agreed, at indoor distances, a shotgun must be aimed like a rifle.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I had already suggested a full-stock model, which I too find easier to point intuitively. Agreed, at indoor distances, a shotgun must be aimed like a rifle.
    I think the best course of action would be for your friend to find someone that owns one already that would be willing to let her shoot it. Once that happens she may gravitate to a regualr shotgun on her own. Maybe a Mossberg Bantam 500 in 20 gauge with a fairly short barrel would be ideal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom