• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I love my 930 SPX! Great shooter, feeds and cycles everything, shoots as fast as I can pull the trigger, and stays on target through rapid fire without much coercion from me. Great value when compared to comps like Benelli.

The JM version is quite popular, and if I didn't already have the SPX, I would get one. I find the large aperture sight on the SPX gets in the way sometimes and slows down target acquisition, seems the JM version would solve this. For longer range slower fire, I would probable lean toward the SPX.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have a SPX as well , love it . So for I have about 500 rounds through it consisting of a mixture or 2 3/4" and 3" buck , 2 3/4 " and 3" slugs and cheap 2 3/4" low brass #8 and have not had a hiccup out of it .

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have both a 930 Tactical for HD and a 930 JM Pro for 3-gun use. No gun is perfect but I am very happy with the price/performance of the 930 JMP. I have the 24" 9+1 version, plus I am thinking about adding the 2 round cap to the end of the mag. Right now I often load an extra round in the mag when I pick it up or when the buzzer goes off because many stages often have 10 or more shotgun targets. Division capacity for all except open is 9 rounds in the gun before the timer goes off.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I have both a 930 Tactical for HD and a 930 JM Pro for 3-gun use. No gun is perfect but I am very happy with the price/performance of the 930 JMP. I have the 24" 9+1 version, plus I am thinking about adding the 2 round cap to the end of the mag. Right now I often load an extra round in the mag when I pick it up or when the buzzer goes off because many stages often have 10 or more shotgun targets. Division capacity for all except open is 9 rounds in the gun before the timer goes off.

Nice strategy! I hadn't thought of uploading to over 8 right when the buzzer goes off.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Some organizations won't let you put the rounds in your hand if your have to start with the shotgun in a ready position, so right now I hold the extra round with my teeth. Many pros use a 13 round extended mag that goes past the end of the barrel.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I have a JM 930. So far it has only seen 50 rounds. The jury is still out. I had 3 failures to go into battery. This was with Winchester 1 1/8 ounce loads. The gun might just be new and tight. We will see. In all fairness I was running the gun hard and it was right out of the box. Before I take it out next time I'm going to disassemble and lube it up real good. If the gun proves reliable it will be a hell of a deal for the 400 bucks and change I got it for.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From other forums, it sounds like the quality varies. Some work great, some have issues.

I ended up biting the bullet and getting a Remington Versa Max Tactical (actually the Zombie Green version :) ). But it is almost twice as much as the Mossberg.

I also could not find a Mossberg anywhere when I was looking.

Hill Top Arms (an IP here) had a JM Pro a few weeks ago if you want one.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I was thinking Vmax, but will try Mossy for now.
    Picked one up from PSA when they had a one day sale. 24" less than 6.

If I continue to shoot 3g, will upgrade in a couple of years to Vmax.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a JM 930. So far it has only seen 50 rounds. The jury is still out. I had 3 failures to go into battery. This was with Winchester 1 1/8 ounce loads. The gun might just be new and tight. We will see. In all fairness I was running the gun hard and it was right out of the box. Before I take it out next time I'm going to disassemble and lube it up real good. If the gun proves reliable it will be a hell of a deal for the 400 bucks and change I got it for.
    I had a couple of those also with Win value pack ammo. Also had one where the extractor ripped away part of that cheap aluminum base of the hull. Switched to Fed value pack and so far it seems to work with fewer issues. But then I have intentionally not been cleaning the gun to see how long it will go. I also switched to a set of Carlson Sporting Clays extended choke tubes. I like being able to see what I have in the barrel at a glance. I figure on going thru this season, then taking stock of what issues I have had and see what might need some gunsmithing. If I had wanted to use a more expensive gun I would have converted one of my Browning Golds instead of selling them. I understand a couple of pros have started building 3g shotguns out of the new Browning A5. Apparently Browning added in the 1st round auto load feature from the Gold models. But like the Golds the barrel cost 2.5x what the Mossbergs do. I will stick with the 930 JM right now.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I had a couple of those also with Win value pack ammo. Also had one where the extractor ripped away part of that cheap aluminum base of the hull. Switched to Fed value pack and so far it seems to work with fewer issues. But then I have intentionally not been cleaning the gun to see how long it will go. I also switched to a set of Carlson Sporting Clays extended choke tubes. I like being able to see what I have in the barrel at a glance. I figure on going thru this season, then taking stock of what issues I have had and see what might need some gunsmithing. If I had wanted to use a more expensive gun I would have converted one of my Browning Golds instead of selling them. I understand a couple of pros have started building 3g shotguns out of the new Browning A5. Apparently Browning added in the 1st round auto load feature from the Gold models. But like the Golds the barrel cost 2.5x what the Mossbergs do. I will stick with the 930 JM right now.

Good to hear a change in ammo helped in your case. I will see what I can find next time I head over to Bass Pro. Are these guns supposed to cycle 1 ounce loads or do they typically run better with 1 1/8?

Speaking of Auto 5s, I picked up a nice Belgian Browning A5 for under 500 bucks on Gunbroker. I was going to cut the barrel, put a 5 shot extension on it, Tru Glo sights, and make a 3 gun shotgun out of it. :D Trouble is when the gun came in and I opened the box I knew there was no way I could cut the barrel on that gun. It was just too nice, so now it's my sporting clays gun. Now I need to find another A5 for my 3 gun project. I love me some A5s. I want to pick up one of the new models as well to add to the collection.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Nice strategy! I hadn't thought of uploading to over 8 right when the buzzer goes off.
    You can also ghost load a 930. If you don't know what that means it is the fact you can fill the magazine and then you can put a round on top of the loading gate and then close the bolt on an empty chamber. If you have a short gun with an 18" barrel and a stock magazine they are usually 7+1. since you can't put a round in the chamber unless you start out with gun in hand that means normally you can only stage it with 7 in the gun when you are allowed 9. that will hurt in a busy shotgun stage. By putting one on the loading gate you increase the capacity to 8 and still meet the safety requirements. When racked it will load the one on the gate and the gate being down will keep it from trying to load one from the mag.
    Better still if you are on a stage with a shotgun in hand start you can actually get 9 in the gun. You can load the mag to 7, have one on the gate and one in the chamber. There are a couple of videos on Youtube showing how to do it. On the 930 the gate blocks the mag if the gun is empty so you can't fill the mag unless you put one in the chamber first (it means don't shoot the shotgun dry or it will slow you up on reloads).
    Basically what you do is load the mag to the max (7) then rack a round into the chamber. Then put an extra round in the mag to bring it back up to 7. Then rack the bolt handle, lock the bolt back, and and grab the round ejected from the chamber. Put that round on the loading gate and then manually place another round in the chamber and let the bolt go home slowly making sure the round on the gate stays there and clears the bolt as it closes. So now with only a 7+1 gun you have 7 in the mag, one on the gate, and one in the chamber and you now max out the 9 rounds you are allowed in the gun for all divisions except Open. On my 9+1 gun I can't do that because I can get as many as 10 in the gun without doing that and I am not allowed to do that except on the clock. Otherwise I could ghost load my 930 to 11 rounds. And you can't add rounds to the mag while there is a round on the gate either. But anyway it helps the guys with the SPX or Tactical versions to reach the division limit.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Good to hear a change in ammo helped in your case. I will see what I can find next time I head over to Bass Pro. Are these guns supposed to cycle 1 ounce loads or do they typically run better with 1 1/8?

Speaking of Auto 5s, I picked up a nice Belgian Browning A5 for under 500 bucks on Gunbroker. I was going to cut the barrel, put a 5 shot extension on it, Tru Glo sights, and make a 3 gun shotgun out of it. :D Trouble is when the gun came in and I opened the box I knew there was no way I could cut the barrel on that gun. It was just too nice, so now it's my sporting clays gun. Now I need to find another A5 for my 3 gun project. I love me some A5s. I want to pick up one of the new models as well to add to the collection.
    Sounds like a plan to me. If you cut the barrel you will have to get it rethreaded for choke tubes. Might be cheaper just to get a 22-24" factory barrel. There are too many types of targets that need different patterns. Some guys try to do everything with an Imp Cyl. or Lgt Mod choke. But some of those really heavy steel plates with the lip on them need #6 shot and a full choke to knock them off. I see too many guys who have to try and shoot some of the plates 2-3 times to hit them with enough lead to knock them off. You don't want that to happen.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Sounds like a plan to me. If you cut the barrel you will have to get it rethreaded for choke tubes. Might be cheaper just to get a 22-24" factory barrel. There are too many types of targets that need different patterns. Some guys try to do everything with an Imp Cyl. or Lgt Mod choke. But some of those really heavy steel plates with the lip on them need #6 shot and a full choke to knock them off. I see too many guys who have to try and shoot some of the plates 2-3 times to hit them with enough lead to knock them off. You don't want that to happen.

Yeah I agree 100%. I should have mentioned I was also planning on getting the barrel set up with some thin wall choke tubes. There may be better options from the factory today than the A5, but in the early days of 3 gun competition they were used quite successfully. There is also something to be said for shooting the types of guns you like to shoot and just having fun. I love A5s, but I bought the JM for a good price and think it is a good value for a gun that is right out of the box.

buttersnipes

Dec 20, 2011
    Annapolis
    I have a JM 930. Works great with all ammo I've run through it (2 3/4 buck, bird [light and heavy target loads], slugs [reduced recoil and full power]). I ran it for 3 days at the tarheel 3 gun without cleaning and it performed without a hiccup. I thought I originally wanted a ghost ring but I was nailing 50yd slug shots on the first try without issue. Love that shotgun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom