• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I am a rifle newb but I have been looking at a tactical looking 22LR and I wanted to get some advice on these 3 models. I was originally looking at the Mossberg 715T and M&P 15/22 and was going to go with the Mossberg due to price and I had heard the 15/22 arent really that accurate (not sure how true that is). Then I found the Ruger 10/22 Tapco and I had heard nothing but good things about the 10/22 but then I also read that sometimes the stock barrels are hit or miss as far as accuracy and then M&P 15/22 is better stock, so I am back to square one. Any Help would be appreciated.

Mossberg 715T ~$350

Ruger 10/22 Tapco ~$450

M&P 15/22 ~$550

These are essentially the prices I have found, if anyone knows of any better deals at any IP's please also feel free to share. Thanks

Last edited:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    You can get a stock 10-22 and turn it into anything for 100-$300. Anything from a SCAR to a heavy MG. I already have my tactical precision 10-22 and my next one will become a Thompson SMG. After that I want to build a tripod mounted multi AA gun or heavy MG.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    You can get a stock 10-22 and turn it into anything for 100-$300. Anything from a SCAR to a heavy MG. I already have my tactical precision 10-22 and my next one will become a Thompson SMG. After that I want to build a tripod mounted multi AA gun or heavy MG.

What is the average price of a stock 10/22? Would I be better off buying it already upgraded or buying a stock and upgrading the talco stock and muzzle brake? Like I said I found one of those for 450.

Udon

Dec 2, 2012
    Columbia
    Depend of what kind of look that you want out of your 10/22. Other then the Receiver, you can buy all after market parts to upgrade the 10/22 to many different look or style using Archangel kit or DIY Airsoft part. If you decided to upgrade, always can buy cheap or used one and do it as a project gun in slowly upgrade each parts. But if you want out of the box, M&P 15-22 might be better

marylandondeck

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore County
    believe it or not , i had a bull barrel 10/22 with a mounted scope , and my friend has the mossberg , the mossberg is a shooter , just using the factory irons (plastic lol) we were busting targets. if it came down to it , you have to decide how much your willing to spend , the mp5 in .22 is also a fun shooter.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Talco = TALO???

Tough choice between 10/22 and M&P15-22. I've got both. Wouldn't get rid of either.

NukeNick

Jan 27, 2013
    I own one of the 715t mossberg rifles and I must say that it does not "feel" as sturdy as a 10/22. All the plastic, plus the extreme hassle of taking it apart for cleaning is a pain. The magazines for the 715t are flat out weird and dont seem like they can withstand the test of time.

All in all though I still like the rifle a whole bunch and would still recommend it be bought, but with everything out there for the 10/22s it is hard to not grab one of them.

Nick

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    15/22 are accurate. don't buy any marlins without going over very well, qc is down on new ones. no aftermarket for mossie 22s.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    New 10/22's are junk IMO. After upgrading a 10/22 with a Better Barrel, Stock, Sights it FAR exceeds the cost of a 15-22. You still need a tool to tear one down to clean and lube and Mags dont drop free and are hard to load.

The mossberg has no aftermarket support and is really a cheap gun.

The 15-22 has Rails, Free Float Handguard, Heavy Barrel, LIGHTWEIGHT, Threaded Barrel, Adjustable Stock, NICE Iron Sights, Last Round Bolt Hold Open, Drop Free Mags, Affordable Hicaps that load EASY, Uses AR15 Furniture. The 15-22 takes down with no tools and is super easy to clean. You can use some aftermarket AR15 Triggers and theres Extended Chargers and Safeties.

The 15-22 cant be beat for value and performance. Its simply the best .22 auto made

marylandondeck

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore County
    New 10/22's are junk IMO. After upgrading a 10/22 with a Better Barrel, Stock, Sights it FAR exceeds the cost of a 15-22. You still need a tool to tear one down to clean and lube and Mags dont drop free and are hard to load.

The 15-22 has Rails, Free Float Handguard, Heavy Barrel, LIGHTWEIGHT, Threaded Barrel, Adjustable Stock, NICE Iron Sights, Last Round Bolt Hold Open, Drop Free Mags, Affordable Hicaps that load EASY, Uses AR15 Furniture. The 15-22 takes down with no tools and is super easy to clean. You can use some aftermarket AR15 Triggers and theres Extended Chargers and Safeties.

The 15-22 cant be beat for value and performance. Its simply the best .22 auto made

the mossberg definitely is cheap , plastic , and the one with carry handle has it built in , BUT if you are short on funds , it is a nifty little shooter. i don't own one but i have shot one quite a bit. the 15-22 is by far the best out of the bunch .

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here

The man knows his stuff. I love the 15-22. It never misses a range trip and is the perfect rifle for new shooters. It's light, reliable, and eats everything. Buy with confidence, and if you find extra mags let me know!

jettoblack

Jan 23, 2013
    I bought the Mossberg 715t first but then I decided to get the S&W MP15-22 as soon as I saw one in stock.

For the $200 or so extra for the MP15-22, you get controls that work just like a real AR and a much easier takedown/cleaning process.

I can't speak for accuracy until I get to take them both to the range.

I'll probably consider selling the 715t if anyone is interested. It's not a bad rifle at all, but the MP15-22 is better.

jettoblack

Jan 23, 2013
    My range report for the Mossberg 715T and the S&W M&P 15-22:

This was my first chance to shoot both rifles. My friend and I traded off between the two. Due to the .22 LR ammo shortage we could only put 100 rounds of CCI Mini-mags through each rifle.

At 75ft, both rifles were plenty accurate for our skill level.

The S&W feels much more solid, the magazine was much more comfortable to load and release, and it just feels better overall. We both agreed completely that the S&W is much more pleasant to shoot. The Mossberg wasn't terrible, but the magazine loading and release were definitely its weakest points.

The S&W had 1 FTF and the Mossberg had 4 FTFs, but they all appeared to be bad rounds (clearly bent or deformed), so it may have been bad luck. Neither rifle had any jams, FTEs or loading problems.

I know from experience that the takedown and cleaning of the S&W is a breeze (pretty much just like a real AR), and the Mossberg is a bit of a pain - not difficult, just time consuming and fiddly.

Conclusion: The Mossberg is not bad and is a good deal if you're looking for this type of rifle, but the S&W is clearly better and worth the extra $200-250.

Wood5443

Sep 23, 2012
    Lexington Park
    10/22 Tapco

I have the 10/22 Tapco kit and it is awesome. It is a lot of fun. You can't go wrong with it. The 15-22 is another good choice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom