• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rangerone314

Jan 8, 2012
    Harford County
    Will the Mossberg 715T and HiPoint Carbines be banned under the new Maryland gun ban that comes October 1 of this year?

(The Mossberg 715T is similar looking to an AR15 but uses .22LR and the HiPoint Carbines are "tactical"...quadrails etc but use ammo such as 9mm, .40, .45)

I'm basically trying to get everything before October 1 that will be banned (another AR15, an AK47 or two) and get nothing that won't be banned after October 1.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    i suppose the REAL question is, why would you be buying a Hi-Point Carbine whether it was getting banned or not.

different strokes and all that, i guess

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Will the Mossberg 715T and HiPoint Carbines be banned under the new Maryland gun ban that comes October 1 of this year?

(The Mossberg 715T is similar looking to an AR15 but uses .22LR and the HiPoint Carbines are "tactical"...quadrails etc but use ammo such as 9mm, .40, .45)

I'm basically trying to get everything before October 1 that will be banned (another AR15, an AK47 or two) and get nothing that won't be banned after October 1.

NO and NO....

[/thread]

rangerone314

Jan 8, 2012
    Harford County
    NO and NO....

[/thread]

Thanks, and thanks EL for posting the "detailed summary for non-lawyers".

I actually had read the text of the law a few weeks ago and it gave me a headache, but that is how I figured out enough to send a message to StagArms about the AR15 20-round mags not being able to be ordered for Maryland. (I sent them the MD links for it that the 10-rnds goes into effect Oct & I got my 20-rnd mags a week later)

rangerone314

Jan 8, 2012
    Harford County
    i suppose the REAL question is, why would you be buying a Hi-Point Carbine whether it was getting banned or not.

Probably wouldn't bring out as big of a debate as the Mossberg vs a Remington shotgun debate, but as I understand it, the 1st generation of Hi-Point carbines weren't all that great (including the aesthetics), but the subsequent ones seem to please greatly the people that do have them.

Ideally, I'd like to have firearms that take 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39, 22LR & of course 12-gauge shells. (Have 3 of 5 so far, & like the idea of a 9mm carbine that can take the same ammo as my Glock 17)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Probably wouldn't bring out as big of a debate as the Mossberg vs a Remington shotgun debate, but as I understand it, the 1st generation of Hi-Point carbines weren't all that great (including the aesthetics), but the subsequent ones seem to please greatly the people that do have them.

Ideally, I'd like to have firearms that take 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39, 22LR & of course 12-gauge shells. (Have 3 of 5 so far, & like the idea of a 9mm carbine that can take the same ammo as my Glock 17)

I have a 1st Gen Hi-Point 9mm handgun that is over 25 years old, has over 10,000 rounds through it and not an issue.

This was back when they were called Maverick Firearms (manufactured by Stallard Arms Inc.), the model is OS-9mm.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    (Have 3 of 5 so far, & like the idea of a 9mm carbine that can take the same ammo as my Glock 17)
    idea of a 9mm carbine? no negative remarks on that front. but i guess i would be negative and say there HAVE to be better ways to solve that need without resorting to a Hi-Point.

...but you know, i'll make fun of them and everything, but if they ultimately meet your needs and fit your budget and the gun doesn't fail you, and you enjoy the thing, then to hell with what i think about the Hi-Points, you know?

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013

Certified uppity gun snob we got here. My hi point 4595ts is a great gun.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    idea of a 9mm carbine? no negative remarks on that front. but i guess i would be negative and say there HAVE to be better ways to solve that need without resorting to a Hi-Point.

...but you know, i'll make fun of them and everything, but if they ultimately meet your needs and fit your budget and the gun doesn't fail you, and you enjoy the thing, then to hell with what i think about the Hi-Points, you know?

You don't know Hi Point carbines, then. They DON'T FAIL. They work clean, dirty, anywere in between.

rangerone314

Jan 8, 2012
    Harford County

I do have a StagArms AR15, which I put quadrails on, plus dual rails on the front. On the rails I put a FAB Arms T-POD (front hand grip that button-push splits down the middle into a pivoting bi-pod), tactical flashlight, red laser, EoTech 552 holographic sight, EoTech G3 switch-to-side 3X scope and an Accutact corner sight mounted behind the two EoTechs (for seeing around corners).

Haven't gotten an AN-PVS-7 and an EoTech EOLAD infra red yet; saving up for those by getting stuff like Hi-Point & Mossberg 715T. (A couple of AMD65's and one more AR15 take priority though... I can buy the rest after the ban Oct 1)

Any opinions on the Bulgarian-made AMD65?

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Certified uppity gun snob we got here. My hi point 4595ts is a great gun.
    right, the ultimate position of "do what you want, even if we disagree" is clearly the position of a gun snob :rolleyes:

You don't know Hi Point carbines, then. They DON'T FAIL. They work clean, dirty, anywere in between.
    something tells me a bold declaration of "this gun will never fail you" is 100% based on anecdotal evidence

(A couple of AMD65's and one more AR15 take priority though... I can buy the rest after the ban Oct 1)
    well, this is really the point (and admittedly the point of the thread): you've got to do the AR/AK stuff ASAP and the rest is... less pressing.

rangerone314

Jan 8, 2012
    Harford County
    right, the ultimate position of "do what you want, even if we disagree" is clearly the position of a gun snob :rolleyes:

something tells me a bold declaration of "this gun will never fail you" is 100% based on anecdotal evidence

well, this is really the point (and admittedly the point of the thread): you've got to do the AR/AK stuff ASAP and the rest is... less pressing.
    Discovered a week ago that I can strike 20 rnd magazines off the list of things to purchase pre-October since as I understand it, you will be able buy them out of state (probably PA since I'm closer to there than VA) and bring them in... just can't build them, ship them to or buy them in Maryland.

I assume this will still be true about the 30 rnd mags as well.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County

I have a 995 that has never had a single feed issue or failed to go bang when it was supposed to. It eats the any and all ammo from the cheapest crap to the best and it does not get cleaned very often either (mostly because it is a pain in the butt to strip for cleaning). So yeah, anecdotal except I have one that has had thousands of rounds through it. I suppose you have first hand experience with them?

Hi Point carbines are not pretty. They are not fine pieces of art. They are not for keeping lovingly oiled and displayed in the safe. They are $200 rifles, no doubt. But, they do work very well. They do what they are designed to do very reliably and they do it for a very small capital investment. And, they are quite enjoyable to shoot by most accounts.

To jump on the guy's thread and start pissing down his leg because he wants a rifle that is not the most expensive thing in the gun store is ignorant. You were not even addressing his question, you simply took an opportunity to spout off about his choice in purchase. "I guess the real question is why would you want a Hi Point?" No, the real question he had was "is the Hi Point carbine going to be affected by SB 281?", but I suppose you prefer to hear the sound of your own sanctimonious voice rather than help someone out.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Discovered a week ago that I can strike 20 rnd magazines off the list of things to purchase pre-October since as I understand it, you will be able buy them out of state (probably PA since I'm closer to there than VA) and bring them in... just can't build them, ship them to or buy them in Maryland.

I assume this will still be true about the 30 rnd mags as well.

That's the way I understand it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom