• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have owned 4 Mosin Nagants in my time, two of them I kept. Granted they are not the most accurate rifles but for the money they are the most bang for your buck. They probably will not win you competitions at Quantico or Ft. Meade or wherever you shoot competition unless you spend more than the rifle itself to get it up to that standard, but from off the shelf it will not let you down. It is easy to maintain, ammo is affordable to shoot, and will shoot where you need to shoot. I have tried to give up on it but I keep coming back to it time and time again. Maybe it is the history major in me that recognizes that it has proven its worth in world events and to this day still soldiers along albeit with our enemies but nevertheless is a battle proven rifle from WWI to Iraq and Afghanistan, it is not going anywhere anytime soon. Plus they are a hoot to shoot at least to me.

LOL, although I could imagine the look on faces if you actually just rolled up on an event, unknown with a Mosin that was accurate enough to put on a good show... It would raise some eyebrows to be sure, especially if it looked like a fairly beat 91/30 externally. It's the gun equivalent of a Hemi Dodge Dart from the 1960's... the ultimate sleeper.

Mark

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    just when i thought i had gotten over my desire for a mosin-nagant....

must scrape up that ~$100 and join the club...

will do computer work for russian rifles? :)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Does anybody know how to accurize a Mosin Nagant? The rifle has never been used. It hits 2 inch groups at 100 yards with huge kentucky windage. How do I fix the sights to match where the point of impact is? More importantly, has anybody used Rock Solid Industries scope mounts?

If your M/N can punch 2" groups at 100 yards with iron sights, that's pretty damn good.

Sounds like it's plenty accurate to me, you just need to drift the front sight left or right with a hammer and punch, depending on whether you want to move the point of impact (POI) right or left.

You didn't say which model M/N you have; if it's an M91/30 your sight radius is 24 1/2", so (assuming 100 yards) every inch you need to move the POI on the target, move the front sight 0.0068" in the opposite direction. (Divide 24.5" by 3600", the number of inches in 100 yards.)

Example: your shots are hitting 12" to the left of the bullseye; so you want to move the POI right 12". Using a hammer & punch (or a screw-type adjustment tool, if you prefer), drift the front sight (12 x .0068") 0.0816" to the left. 0.0816" converts to slightly less than 3/16", if you are using a regular ruler to measure.

As a reference, before you begin adjusting your sight, use the point of a razor knife or sharp blade to notch indexing marks on the moving and stationary parts of your front sight, so you know how far you've moved it.

For the sight radius value of other M/N variants, go here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSpec.htm

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I didn't think it was. Would I be able to purchase one from the show up in York without having to ship it to a MD FFL?

Get your C&R and order one online! The cost of the C&R added to the direct pricing from AIM, SOG, or J&G is cheaper than buying one at a show! :innocent0

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Get your C&R and order one online! The cost of the C&R added to the direct pricing from AIM, SOG, or J&G is cheaper than buying one at a show! :innocent0

Thanks. I'm reading the Curio and Relic FAQ now. Had I been able to take it home with me, I would have bought one today at the show.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You could have bought it in Pennsylvania (or Virginia) and brought it home the same day. It's a non-regulated longgun, and can be sold to out of state residents, as long as it's legal in both states. I'm not up on the details (pretty sure you could buy in non-neighboring states like Tennessee, but I'm not 100% sure.) but Marylanders can definately buy non-regulated rifles in Penna without a C&R.

But don't kick yourself. The C&R is worth getting, and it qualifies you to get your Garand from the CMP.

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    You could have bought it in Pennsylvania (or Virginia) and brought it home the same day. It's a non-regulated longgun, and can be sold to out of state residents, as long as it's legal in both states. I'm not up on the details (pretty sure you could buy in non-neighboring states like Tennessee, but I'm not 100% sure.) but Marylanders can definately buy non-regulated rifles in Penna without a C&R.

But don't kick yourself. The C&R is worth getting, and it qualifies you to get your Garand from the CMP.

I thought so, but I wasn't going to argue with the guy at the table. He told me the rifle would have to be sent to a FFL because they couldn't do the NICS check at the show. I didn't even get into the fact that I was from out of state. It seemed strange to me at the time, but in the long run I'll be happy with the C&R license.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    mightmouse

If you want to shoot at 200 plus yards with a scope then start looking around on the used gun racks for a .223 or .308 bolt gun that you can put a rock solid strong base on for a high power scope. In the long run your wasting your money trying to make the one you have shoot that distance.

Try to get on a shooting team if you want to be a good long distance shooter. There are some in Baltimore that have loaner rifles for their team members until they can get there own. They have AR's and m1's that you can use. The rifle is a very small part of being able to shoot at 1,000 yards. You will need a lot of skill, shooting jacket, mat, Good spotting scope, and a good coach. I am sure I have left a lot off a lot of other things needed.

Just use your mosin-nagant for training until you can get a long distance nail driver.

Check out the AGC web site for teams. There are about 4 different clubs that have teams for your age. All of them have loaner rifles. Start off with the .22s to perfect your shooting before moving up to the long distance shooting. .22 is a hell of a lot cheaper then .223 30/06 .308 because on the average practice you'll be shooting 100 rounds per practice.

Damifinow fish

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Application for the C&R license came fast! I got home from the polls to find a letter from the ATF waiting for me. That took all of two days.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    He told me the rifle would have to be sent to a FFL because they couldn't do the NICS check at the show. I didn't even get into the fact that I was from out of state.

I think the NICS system was down that weekend!

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Application for the C&R license came fast! I got home from the polls to find a letter from the ATF waiting for me. That took all of two days.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but my C&R license came today! I sent out the forms on November 3rd and it only took a little over a month. Nice turn around time. Now to go shopping!

Sirex