• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    To me, that looks just like it is supposed to. Right now that bolt is cocked. Bolt handle and cocking piece are in line to slide into the receiver. And the little square tab on the bottom of the cocking piece that contacts the sear is in between the two "ears" on the bottom of the slide. At this point, if you pull the trigger back all the way, the sear should cam downward and the bolt will slide into the receiver.

What ever you do, don't pull back on the cocking piece and rotate it to the left. The bolt will fall apart again.

Hope the pics help.

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    The bolt looks good. IMO it's easier to just never user the safety. In lieu of a safety, just walk around with a full magazine but no round in the chamber. They also sell stuff like the below link if it's important to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Stacker-Cocking-Safety-Nagant/dp/B00A1WC2B2

Watch this just to make sure you're doing the safety right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYU0At2tEeo

i dont plan on using the safety, but watching the video, when i bring the cocking ring back all the way, the firing pin cocks. when i disengage the safety, i pull the trigger and the rifle dry fires. as long as nothing is wrong with the rifle itself, i dont mind.. just strange.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    i dont plan on using the safety, but watching the video, when i bring the cocking ring back all the way, the firing pin cocks. when i disengage the safety, i pull the trigger and the rifle dry fires. as long as nothing is wrong with the rifle itself, i dont mind.. just strange.

I think the designers were of the opinion that if you take out the bolt, there's likely to be a reason that includes dumping the mag.

One day I'm gonna buy the translated Russian FM for the 91/30.

Regardless, if dry fires annoy you (they annoy me), when you pull the trigger, grab the roundy bit with your thumb and use your thumb to ease it forward once it releases. That's what I do...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    To avoid dry firing is simple. Check this out. Rotate the bolt handle up 90 degrees but do not pull back, pull the trigger fully to the rear and hold it there, and at the same time rotate the bolt down 90 degrees. You will see the cocking knob move forward with no firing pin slamming home. This simply disengages the sear from the cocking piece/hammer.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    I think the designers were of the opinion that if you take out the bolt, there's likely to be a reason that includes dumping the mag.

One day I'm gonna buy the translated Russian FM for the 91/30.

Regardless, if dry fires annoy you (they annoy me), when you pull the trigger, grab the roundy bit with your thumb and use your thumb to ease it forward once it releases. That's what I do...

To avoid dry firing is simple. Check this out. Rotate the bolt handle up 90 degrees but do not pull back, pull the trigger fully to the rear and hold it there, and at the same time rotate the bolt down 90 degrees. You will see the cocking knob move forward with no firing pin slamming home. This simply disengages the sear from the cocking piece/hammer.

yup. figured that our a couple days ago while watching a video. i havent had a change to take it out to the range, so i just dont want the thing to malfunction on me, or worse...

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    not really related to the safety, but this has been on my mind recently. it is quite difficult for me to cock the bolt to load a chamber in the rifle. i applied breakfree clp all around the bolt and around the surrounding receiver and it is still quite difficult to cock the bolt.

i remember working the bolt flawlessly at the gun store, so i know there is something that isnt quite right going on here. could it be that breakfree is not the best lubricant?

i would also like to add that i have not taken the rifle out to the range.

commiezapr

May 13, 2013
    Bethesda
    picture of the bolt after taking out of the rifle.

i plan on never using the safety, but i just want to make sure nothing is wrong with my bolt.

Looks good to me. You should definitely use the jagged teeth tool to check firing pin protrusion if you've messed with it.

Last edited:

commiezapr

May 13, 2013
    Bethesda
    not really related to the safety, but this has been on my mind recently. it is quite difficult for me to cock the bolt to load a chamber in the rifle. i applied breakfree clp all around the bolt and around the surrounding receiver and it is still quite difficult to cock the bolt.

i remember working the bolt flawlessly at the gun store, so i know there is something that isnt quite right going on here. could it be that breakfree is not the best lubricant?

i would also like to add that i have not taken the rifle out to the range.

Are you having difficulty pulling the bolt back completely? Or just having trouble rotating it?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That bolt is under a lot of tension due to a very strong firing pin spring and could be the problem because Mosin's cock on opening. In the past, I've taken a coil or two off of the firing pin spring and it helps loosen the bolt while still making the gun go bang. I do not recommend you do this. Just saying it may be normal. Some Mosin's just have stiff bolts.

If your saying you can't chamber a round easily, I would not worry too much about that. Sometimes it takes a lot of force to make the extractor snap over the case rim. Mosin's were never engineered to be precision guns. Just the opposite. If you want smooth, buy a Turkish or Yugoslavian Mauser in 8mm. The Krag is the ultimate in smooth.

Also, any crud in the locking lug area of the receiver can be causing interference with the locking lugs on the bolt. Clean that area really well (spotless). CLP is fine for what you're using it for.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    Looks good to me. You should definitely use the jagged teeth tool to check firing pin protrusion if you've messed with it.

yup. i made sure the firing pin protrusion was acceptable.

Are you having difficulty pulling the bolt back completely? Or just having trouble rotating it?

trouble rotating it. once i get the bolt handle facing up, i have no trouble cocking it back to chamber a round.

That bolt is under a lot of tension due to a very strong firing pin spring and could be the problem because Mosin's cock on opening. In the past, I've taken a coil or two off of the firing pin spring and it helps loosen the bolt while still making the gun go bang. I do not recommend you do this. Just saying it may be normal. Some Mosin's just have stiff bolts.

If your saying you can't chamber a round easily, I would not worry too much about that. Sometimes it takes a lot of force to make the extractor snap over the case rim. Mosin's were never engineered to be precision guns. Just the opposite. If you want smooth, buy a Turkish or Yugoslavian Mauser in 8mm. The Krag is the ultimate in smooth.

Also, any crud in the locking lug area of the receiver can be causing interference with the locking lugs on the bolt. Clean that area really well (spotless). CLP is fine for what you're using it for.

i havent chambered any rounds. when i dry cock, it is quite difficult. like i said, it worked flawlessly at the gun store, which is why i chose this one, but now, its hard as shit. i just dont want any damage to the rifle, i have no trouble with the tension, but i dont want there to be damage being done to either the receiver or the bolt.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    yup. i made sure the firing pin protrusion was acceptable.

trouble rotating it. once i get the bolt handle facing up, i have no trouble cocking it back to chamber a round.

i havent chambered any rounds. when i dry cock, it is quite difficult. like i said, it worked flawlessly at the gun store, which is why i chose this one, but now, its hard as shit. i just dont want any damage to the rifle, i have no trouble with the tension, but i dont want there to be damage being done to either the receiver or the bolt.

There is stiff and then there is something's not right. It sounds like the later. Without seeing it, it's impossible to say. Sorry. Good luck with it.

It just hit me! Did you dry fire it in the store and try to re-cock it??? If not, you were working an already cocked bolt and that would have been as smooth as smooth could be.

commiezapr

May 13, 2013
    Bethesda
    If this is a new problem then something might be misaligned. Please post pictures. Have you fired the gun since the problem started occuring?

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    There is stiff and then there is something's not right. It sounds like the later. Without seeing it, it's impossible to say. Sorry. Good luck with it.

It just hit me! Did you dry fire it in the store and try to re-cock it??? If not, you were working an already cocked bolt and that would have been as smooth as smooth could be.

yes i dry fired and recocked with no problem.

Sure the bolt is assembled correctly?

i am 95% sure it is properly assembled.

If this is a new problem then something might be misaligned. Please post pictures. Have you fired the gun since the problem started occuring?

i have never fired the rifle.

picture of bolt getting ready to go back into the rifle

20130613121759.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom