• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You'll need a case of tissues to clean up the tears flowing from most of these guys.....

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Personally, I'd rather have a daughter in a cat house than to be responsible for doing that to that rifle. But this is America, to each his own.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Meh

fig,grass_green,mens,ffffff.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would have used a side mount and a magnified scope with a turned bolt handle.

Pretty neat though.

I like my suppressed 91/30 retro PU Sniper

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think some people are a bit over-sensitive. There's not a lot of options if you want a bolt action in 7.62x54R besides a Mosin... in fact, that's pretty much the only option. Seems silly to complain someone's using an old beater surplus rifle as a base for their custom build.

While the core action isn't a world beater, the Mosin can turn out pretty excellent groups with match ammo if you rebarrel it with a good heavy barrel, use a FF stock like the Archangel mentioned in the article, and maybe add the Timney trigger. The guy in the article had the right idea, he just didn't go far enough with it.

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    My answer to the OPs question is both. I don't think it's right to modify these weapons, but I do think its pretty cool. My thoughts are if someone wants to do a project in which they cut a perfectly good barrel at least start with a beat up 91/30 instead of an M44.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    No way its under $800 MSRP with gunsmithing (per the video), but a pretty neat project. As a collector, I would use nothing better than an "ABB" (already been butchered) or "grade B" (scratch & dent) rifle. Recoil reduction is really impressive compared to my M38.

I would hack off the extra metal on the cocking piece to improve locktime since the new trigger has a safety.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I guess this is not wildly different than taking, for example, a classic car and tubbing it out, adding a blower, NOS, etc.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Not dig'in the stock at all.

I'd like to know if that mag is for real and if all the crappy feeding mechanisms went away. Mosin's suck for feeding. They're better off re-built as single shot toys.

An 5/16 inch allen wrench is a must for a turned down bolt handle.

Cool brake though.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    My answer to the OPs question is both. I don't think it's right to modify these weapons, but I do think its pretty cool. My thoughts are if someone wants to do a project in which they cut a perfectly good barrel at least start with a beat up 91/30 instead of an M44.

Why, they only made 8 trillion of the ugly bastards. :rolleyes: They can be had for hundred dollars. :omg:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not dig'in the stock at all.

I'd like to know if that mag is for real and if all the crappy feeding mechanisms went away. Mosin's suck for feeding. They're better off re-built as single shot toys.

An 5/16 inch allen wrench is a must for a turned down bolt handle.

Cool brake though.

Yes, the mag is real. No, Mosins don't have crappy feed mechanisms.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Early production mags did have some feeding issues, reportedly that's been resolved.

If the guy knows for a fact it wasn't a rarer model, by all means, do what you do and enjoy your rifle as you want.

Chad - don't remind me about your Mosin. I got a previously bubba'd 91/30, and it's very tempting to have some fun with that. Thankfully the funds aren't there right now, otherwise it'd be game-on.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Early production mags did have some feeding issues, reportedly that's been resolved.

If the guy knows for a fact it wasn't a rarer model, by all means, do what you do and enjoy your rifle as you want.

Chad - don't remind me about your Mosin. I got a previously bubba'd 91/30, and it's very tempting to have some fun with that. Thankfully the funds aren't there right now, otherwise it'd be game-on.

;)

missing_the_cheese

Dec 29, 2012
    Perry Hall
    I saw that the other day as well. I thought it looked like a lot of fun to shoot! Yeah it's not a perfect restoration of the original but there's so many out there that if someone wants to hack up some I say go nuts, its your gun do what you want with it. I've always wanted a Mosin so I could go blast cheap surplus however the range I'm a member at won't let us bring them in so it's kept me from pulling the trigger.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    If I had a Bubba gun that was beyond hope of restoration I might consider adding a stock like that... But no way id take a good condition surplus rifle and purposefully modify it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom