• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I saw last week that the US House of Reps voted on a bill to allow people to carry firearms on Corps of Engineer property. My fine dumb a** Rep. John Delaney voted against the bill.

If it's the bill I'm thinking of, I believe it stipulates that one can carry on such land as long as it is consistent with the laws of the state that the land in question is within. Which is to say, if you're in Maryland, you won't be carrying unless you happen to have a permit.

If that's the bill in question, then given the status of Morris, it's probably better that your legislator voted against it. If the Morris court is consistent with its initial justification for issuance of the preliminary injunction, then it will wind up ruling that the Corps' prohibition is Unconstitutional, and that will mean that everyone will be able to carry on land managed by the Corps regardless of the laws of the state. That is a much better outcome.

Note, too, that passage of the law you're thinking of would moot Morris, making it unusable in the fight for the right to carry in public. I'd much rather see the outcome of that case before any such law is considered.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    How long before a lawsuit win like this enables us to carry in DC, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Island, etc.? Federal Territories should clearly comply with 2A yet they are some of the most difficult places to exercise the right. No wonder the states have thought 2A didn't apply to them they simply followed the federal government's example of a near complete ban on carry.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    I saw last week that the US House of Reps voted on a bill to allow people to carry firearms on Corps of Engineer property. My fine dumb a** Rep. John Delaney voted against the bill.

I believe you're referring to the SHARE Act (H.R. 3590). It does take Title 36 head on and would moot any appeal to Morris.
    (b) Protecting the right of individuals To bear arms at water resources development projects

The Secretary of the Army shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm at a water resources development project covered under section 327.0 of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations (as in effect on the date of enactment of this Act), if—

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and
    (2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the water resources development project is located.

The Corps owns the Cape Cod Canal in Massachusetts as well as adjacent recreational areas and even the highway bridges that provide the only land access to Cape Cod. It's essentially illegal to carry a loaded firearm or ammunition over the bridge onto Cape Cod.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How long before a lawsuit win like this enables us to carry in DC, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Island, etc.? Federal Territories should clearly comply with 2A yet they are some of the most difficult places to exercise the right. No wonder the states have thought 2A didn't apply to them they simply followed the federal government's example of a near complete ban on carry.

Federal can carry in PR and St. Thomas. No different than being inside the U.S.

That's a good question, are cops covered under LEOSA there? I don't know.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    February 28, 2017 –

This case will be decided by GRABER, IKUTA, and HURWITZ, Circuit Judges.

Bad panel. Ikuta is on our side. The other two are dems.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    February 28, 2017 –

Graber was on the en banc panel in Peruta. Yea, this probably won't end well.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    As we should all be aware, the US Forest Service and the BLM regulate firearms in accordance with State Law (in whatever State that land falls within). We also know that the US Park Service can no longer prohibit firearms, and now goes along with the laws of the State which the Park finds ...

Caution, slight thread drift.

Seems Al (the OP) has not posted since 2014. Anyone know if he is still with us?

Master_P

May 27, 2015
    February 28, 2017 –

Didn't Ikuta author Jackson v. SF?

If so, she's not on our side...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    the government filed a motion to stay
    because they are not going to enforce the ban any longer.
    the Court filed this order after

Filed order (SUSAN P. GRABER, SANDRA S. IKUTA and ANDREW D. HURWITZ) The parties shall be prepared to discuss, at oral argument, whether Plaintiffs have standing. See San Diego Cty. Gun Rights Comm. v. Reno, 98 F.3d 1121, 1126 (9th Cir. 1996) ("As the parties invoking federal jurisdiction, plaintiffs bear the burden of establishing their standing to sue."); id. ("To assert standing on [the basis of a threat of prosecution], plaintiffs must show a genuine threat of imminent prosecution under the [challenged law]." (internal quotation marks omitted)); id. at 1126–29 (looking to the definitiveness of the plaintiffs’ plans, any "specific threat of prosecution," and any "history of prosecutions" under the challenged law); see also Parker v. District of Columbia, 478 F.3d 370, 376 (D.C. Cir. 2007) ("We have consistently treated a license or permit denial pursuant to a state or federal administrative scheme as an Article III injury."). [10339920] (WL) [Entered: 03/02/2017 10:34 AM]

and today the Court said

03/03/2017 53 Filed order (SUSAN P. GRABER, SANDRA S. IKUTA and ANDREW D. HURWITZ) Appellants’ Unopposed Emergency Motion, filed March 2, 2017, is GRANTED. The appeal is referred to the Mediation Office, and its submission is deferred pending further order of the court. The Circuit Mediator will contact the parties to schedule mediation and shall provide a status report to the panel within 60 days following this order. The parties shall provide a status update to the panel on or before April 2, 2017. [10341520] (WL) [Entered: 03/03/2017 08:41 AM]
    03/03/2017 54 Phoned and left voicemail to attorneys regarding to 3/3/17 order. [53] [10341604] (WL) [Entered: 03/03/2017 09:18 AM]

Attachments

• nesbitt motion for stay of oral arguments.pdf
      99.6 KB · Views: 117

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom