Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haven't seen it mentioned yet, also note the next-to-last paragraph

Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20​

The D.C. Area Interfaith Gun Violence Prevention Network is collaborating with the Montgomery County Sheriff and State’s Attorney to organize a gun buyback event on Saturday, April 20, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The event will take place in the parking lot of the United Church of Christ of Seneca Valley at 13421 Clopper Rd. in Germantown.

Established in 2017, the Interfaith GVP Network comprises volunteers from over 40 churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples actively engaged in gun violence prevention efforts, working alongside congregants, clergy, and other advocates to address and mitigate gun violence issues.

Partner organizations supporting this initiative include the United Church of Christ of Seneca Valley and Pax Christi Metro DC-Baltimore.

According to a press release, the April 20 event marks the first upcounty faith-based gun buyback, responding to an increase in gun violence incidents in recent years. Previous successful buybacks were conducted in Baltimore, Rockville, and Upper Marlboro last year.

Community members can anonymously surrender firearms and receive food store gift cards valued at $100 for functional handguns, rifles, and shotguns, and $200 for operational military assault-style weapons and privately made firearms (“ghost guns“). No identification is required, and law enforcement follows a no-questions-asked policy. The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office will assess the firearms, and the Interfaith GVP Network will determine gift card eligibility while providing gun safety guidance.

Montgomery County Sheriff Maxwell Uy guarantees that all surrendered guns will be permanently destroyed with no components repurposed. Participants must stay in their vehicles, transport unloaded firearms in the trunk, and are prohibited from having ammunition in the guns. The sponsors may restrict the number of gift cards per individual, irrespective of the weapons surrendered. Non-functional firearms and ammunition will be accepted without compensation exchange. Gift card availability is limited.

Additionally, the Interfaith GVP Network is seeking financial backing from Montgomery County businesses, network members, faith groups, foundations, county offices, and the public to support this buyback. The goal is to raise a minimum of $30,000 to remove at least 300 guns from the streets, amounting to an average of $100 per gun.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Haven't seen it mentioned yet, also note the next-to-last paragraph

Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20​

The D.C. Area Interfaith Gun Violence Prevention Network is collaborating with the Montgomery County Sheriff and State’s Attorney to organize a gun buyback event on Saturday, April 20, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The event will take place in the parking lot of the United Church of Christ of Seneca Valley at 13421 Clopper Rd. in Germantown.

Established in 2017, the Interfaith GVP Network comprises volunteers from over 40 churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples actively engaged in gun violence prevention efforts, working alongside congregants, clergy, and other advocates to address and mitigate gun violence issues.

Partner organizations supporting this initiative include the United Church of Christ of Seneca Valley and Pax Christi Metro DC-Baltimore.

According to a press release, the April 20 event marks the first upcounty faith-based gun buyback, responding to an increase in gun violence incidents in recent years. Previous successful buybacks were conducted in Baltimore, Rockville, and Upper Marlboro last year.

Community members can anonymously surrender firearms and receive food store gift cards valued at $100 for functional handguns, rifles, and shotguns, and $200 for operational military assault-style weapons and privately made firearms (“ghost guns“). No identification is required, and law enforcement follows a no-questions-asked policy. The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office will assess the firearms, and the Interfaith GVP Network will determine gift card eligibility while providing gun safety guidance.

Montgomery County Sheriff Maxwell Uy guarantees that all surrendered guns will be permanently destroyed with no components repurposed. Participants must stay in their vehicles, transport unloaded firearms in the trunk, and are prohibited from having ammunition in the guns. The sponsors may restrict the number of gift cards per individual, irrespective of the weapons surrendered. Non-functional firearms and ammunition will be accepted without compensation exchange. Gift card availability is limited.

Additionally, the Interfaith GVP Network is seeking financial backing from Montgomery County businesses, network members, faith groups, foundations, county offices, and the public to support this buyback. The goal is to raise a minimum of $30,000 to remove at least 300 guns from the streets, amounting to an average of $100 per gun.

What constitutes a "successful buyback"? Mostly, they are getting inoperable guns, old relics like Iver Johnson revolvers, and an occasional collectors item some older relative has no idea about and is scare will run through the neighborhood killing people (saw this one on the news years ago with a SW Washington DC buy-back; involved a 1st Gen Colt SAA).
    I Know what brain dead mediots & Libtards think is successful, but I just throw this out as fresh meat for you thinking folks to chew on.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Nothing for mags...?

There was one last year they were giving something like $50 per "high cap" mag. If I wasn't so impatient at waiting in lines, I would have made a couple thousand dollars that day, just selling brand new Magpuls still in the plastic!

That reminds me, I've gotta grab a couple more from PSA in Savannah and Green Top in Ashland on my way home next month.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    That reminds me, I've gotta grab a couple more from PSA in Savannah and Green Top in Ashland on my way home next month.

I liked their old location better, but still a nice store!

They sold me a box of .38 they were hiding for for gun purchase customers during the 'Rona and there simply was none to be had.

And it was $30 not $50+. :thumbsup:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I guess an 80% is actually safe and they don't want it, however illegal it is in this state. I think you can buy those real cheap now.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Trying to recall, is it legal to set up in the parking lots and offer more than the buyback people if one sees a desirable piece they just can't see getting destroyed. Post signs to the effect that " We Buy Guns" for Cash type advertising?
    You need to be a FFL to transfer them.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Background checks for everyone involved and for each firearm! Wonder how many of those doing the "buy back" would pass!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Sundazes,

even for C and R?

There has to be a work around for an FFL for modern guns.
    Kind of reminds me of the answer of why does anyone need to carry a gun?

"Because a cop is too heavy to carry around everywhere."
    I believe both parties need to be C&R. CR handguns need to transferred out of state. If in state, they have to go through an FFL. Someone will be along shortly to add or correct my post.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I believe both parties need to be C&R. CR handguns need to transferred out of state. If in state, they have to go through an FFL. Someone will be along shortly to add or correct my post.
    Actually, I hope someone does chime in on the C&R, I am not one, but am curious. especially if some pieces that might be historically significant can be saved from the destroyers.

As for FFL, I can see a small work around. Maybe line up an FFL local to the Buy Back area. Propose to someone with a desired piece, that it is a win win, if they sell to you, Then both parties go to that FFL for the up n up portion and any " good guns" might be saved from the pyre that way too.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Actually, I hope someone does chime in on the C&R, I am not one, but am curious. especially if some pieces that might be historically significant can be saved from the destroyers.

As for FFL, I can see a small work around. Maybe line up an FFL local to the Buy Back area. Propose to someone with a desired piece, that it is a win win, if they sell to you, Then both parties go to that FFL for the up n up portion and any " good guns" might be saved from the pyre that way too.
    I honestly can't see any FFL doing this and incurring the wrath of the MSP.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You could make an offer and have them join you at a gun shop for the transfer.
    Yup, that was my thought.

I don't see any sketchy details about any of that.

Let's say a person has a couple long guns like a 30-30, 25-06 270, 12 gauge, etc,

For example, if we go back 15 years. Would a person be able to legally sell to another Avg Joe without an FFL?

Let's say the days are back around 1997 to maybe 2007 for instance. Would it have been legal for a man to man, face to face sale of 1 or more of these long guns to 1 or more buddies who wanted to buy one?

OR would MD have made the guys criminals for doing a transaction like that?

Conversely, how about now? If the answer was Legal back then, BUT...

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yup, that was my thought.

I don't see any sketchy details about any of that.

Let's say a person has a couple long guns like a 30-30, 25-06 270, 12 gauge, etc,

For example, if we go back 15 years. Would a person be able to legally sell to another Avg Joe without an FFL?

Let's say the days are back around 1997 to maybe 2007 for instance. Would it have been legal for a man to man, face to face sale of 1 or more of these long guns to 1 or more buddies who wanted to buy one?

OR would MD have made the guys criminals for doing a transaction like that?

Conversely, how about now? If the answer was Legal back then, BUT...
    FTF transfers were indeed legal. Handguns went FFL transfer only in 96 I think. Long guns went FFL transfer what, 2 years ago.
    Now, both have to go through an FFL/MSP for a legal transfer.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    FTF transfers were indeed legal. Handguns went FFL transfer only in 96 I think. Long guns went FFL transfer what, 2 years ago.
    Now, both have to go through an FFL/MSP for a legal transfer.
    This is what I thought, Steve. Thanks.

I remember testifying in Annapolis a few years back when the MGA was trying to require even C&R's to get logge din at FFL's.

Our side argued, How would this be possible? Many C&R's don't have serial numbers or anything.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Nothing for mags...?

There was one last year they were giving something like $50 per "high cap" mag. If I wasn't so impatient at waiting in lines, I would have made a couple thousand dollars that day, just selling brand new Magpuls still in the plastic!

Yep. At the last Baltimore County buyback I got that money for my cheap, unreliable/unusable 3rd party mags and a handgun price for a ruined P80 frame. Got new OEM Glock mags. Came away smiling

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    Yep. At the last Baltimore County buyback I got that money for my cheap, unreliable/unusable 3rd party mags and a handgun price for a ruined P80 frame. Got new OEM Glock mags. Came away smiling
    Just the P80 frame? I'm noticed this one says "functional" guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom