• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    In other threads there was discussion on the wisdom of pursuing an active agenda. Start small, and easy. Incremental steps.

One suggestion I have is to address the requirement for FFL's to send in spent brass on a purchase. Eliminate this need.

I suspect even the MSP would get on board with this.

Easy arguments to make in favor of this:
    1) It serves no purpose. MSP would agree no crimes are solved using this.
    2) Efficiency. MSP spends something dealing with this pointless exercise.
    3) FIL Efficiency: Remove a burden from small business.

Etc.

Will this change life as we know it? Of course not.

What it does do is begin a path of working on small incremental steps toward a distant goal.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If we eliminate all the unneeded and wasteful programs, then the State would have no reason to keep raising our taxes.

Do you really expect that to happen?

In the States eyes, the more hoops gun owners have to jump throught he better.

The spent shell casing program is simply a hoop.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Don't you guys watch TV? They always get the bad guy by matching the spent shell casing because, as we know, bad guys buy their guns through a FFL and always get new ones. Used guns don't look as pretty.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If we eliminate all the unneeded and wasteful programs, then the State would have no reason to keep raising our taxes.

Do you really expect that to happen?

In the States eyes, the more hoops gun owners have to jump throught he better.

The spent shell casing program is simply a hoop.

Now we have the HQL. That is a much bigger hoop than the useless spent brass.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think there is more chance of repealing the unused wasteful spent casing law than HQL

They won by small taps, we should fight back the same way. It should be on the list for '14. We should start making a list of all the possible tiny clawbacks and send it to our pro-2 reps ... over and over

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Retired Capt. Tom Williams (MSP Legislative Liaison) said there were around 35 cases solved with spent shell casings. I know it's ridiculous but, that's what they are claiming and they will use that to make their case. I was also told the machine they have to process the casings doesn't work and has been sitting in a corner collecting dust for years.

I would much rather use the efforts to ditch the HQL process.

The next GA session starts in January 2014, being prepared for that should be our primary objective. The two existing lawsuits are already set in motion and being handled but, the next session could bring more stupid laws. I'm also not buying that the GA wouldn't introduce another gun bill because of the elections coming up. I wouldn't put it past them, not with their arrogance.

Just sayin' :innocent0

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I believe the MSP themselves tried to get the requirement dropped years ago.

No Legislator will vote to drop it. Their opponents would throw it in their faces at the next election.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Perhaps the difference now, is the Dem machine now KNOWS MD is business unfriendly, and they edge around the issue of inefficiency. Wrap this around efficiency and small business friendly. Allow them to tout their reasonableness in unwinding useless regs, and thank them for doing it.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    Tom Williams' primary job, possibly more so than any other person, is to implement the Governor's gun control agenda, so "grain of salt" and whatnot.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    With respect to the OP, this is not a new idea. In fact, it almost happened last session. You could see the light click on, kind of agreeing it could go, then oh wait a minute, I forget the real reason it exists is to make less handguns available and harder to get, therefore it saves lives and must stay (for the children).

With all the stuff going on these days, this is kind of down at the noise level. If you really want something that bad that the manufacturer won't do a spent shell for MSP, then you can find a slightly used one, or arrange to have it sent to an FFL that can fire a casing and provide it. I believe there are ways to make it happen I think.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Easy arguments to make in favor of this:
    1) It serves no purpose. MSP would agree no crimes are solved using this.

The rank and file, yes, the suits, no.

2) Efficiency. MSP spends something dealing with this pointless exercise.

I believe funding for this was cut a couple of years ago so on paper it costs nothing.

3) FIL Efficiency: Remove a burden from small business.

Unfunded mandate. Making life hard for legitimate gunowners and dealers is what most politicians in this state are all about.

But I agree with the concept. No reason we should be on the defensive all the time. I'd rather see effort spent on repealing HQL crappola and eventually all "regulated" firearm purchasing BS.
    Etc.

Will this change life as we know it? Of course not.

What it does do is begin a path of working on small incremental steps toward a distant goal.[/QUOTE]

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It might be more fun to hit them with info requests to confirm or deny that the shell casings can be produced in a timely manner, and that chain of custody has been preserved. :)

Impeaching the claim that is has solved crimes may be useful as well ..

here is the thing -- we can use this as an example of how the state has no credibility on this issue.. it may actually help in the long run.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Retired Capt. Tom Williams (MSP Legislative Liaison) said there were around 35 cases solved with spent shell casings. I know it's ridiculous but, that's what they are claiming and they will use that to make their case. I was also told the machine they have to process the casings doesn't work and has been sitting in a corner collecting dust for years.

I would much rather use the efforts to ditch the HQL process.

The next GA session starts in January 2014, being prepared for that should be our primary objective. The two existing lawsuits are already set in motion and being handled but, the next session could bring more stupid laws. I'm also not buying that the GA wouldn't introduce another gun bill because of the elections coming up. I wouldn't put it past them, not with their arrogance.

Just sayin' :innocent0

There is a lawsuit in place regarding the HQL. No sense spending any legislative effort in getting the HQL changed while the lawsuit is pending. Figured the entire reason for the lawsuit was because we had a favorable SCOTUS at this time. If the state repeals the HQL, then the case becomes moot and there is no possibility of a precedent setting decision.

So, in the meantime spend some effort trying to get the spent shell casing law repealed, or come up with a list of other 2nd Amendment related laws that we should attempt to change through the legislative process.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think a better case can be made for ditching the waiting period for anyone with an HQL. Anyone who jumps through those hoops cannot have made a snap decision to purchase a pistol.

And it makes life considerably simpler for people from outside the I-95 Axis. I rarely buy at Maryland gun shows, simply because if I buy a pistol, I'm signing up for 4 hours of driving to pick it up.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    This might be a good goal for the '14 electoral session. Maybe we could go after making Tasers legal to carry as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom