• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    PF Flyer,
    Fill out the paperwork they send you and you'll get them back after they check to make sure you have nothing in your background that makes you a prohibited person.
    I doubt there will be any damage or engraving done to the firearms if they aren't evidence in crime.
    Keep us updated on how this goes for you.

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    Think metal membership card. It must be worn (visible) at all times while on the range
    Ah, thanks, that makes sense. I can't believe that MoCo has gotten this bad that the OP has to go through this BS. Maybe MoCo always was this bad and I was just lucky when I lived there, I never had problems with police and guns/ammo in my car.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have lived here all my life and the MoCo police are never exposed to civilians with firearms because no one can carry. So they completely over react when dealing with the situation. Even after carry is legalized, it will take lot's more of these encounters before the cops become educated. He also may have had the misfortune of dealing with a rookie.

Pathetic but true. Go across the Potomac and the cops don't give you a second look. They had to be educated on OC too. Now they get it. (most of them anyway.)

:sad20:

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    I've dealt with these clowns before, after they took a bunch of my guns when i had an a car accident coming back form the range.

They will give them back, 6 months later with number scribbled into the receivers with a sharp object. ... and they will first have to "investigate" to make sure that whatever firearms are yours. This will involve hassling your dealer for any regulated items.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I'm figuring we may not have all of the facts. A couple of folks have asked how/where the OP was carrying his firearm and I have not seen a reply. Another factor could be location where the OP was stopped. Was it outside of a reasonable route of travel between range and home?

Not saying MCPD were correct, but also don't know if the OP was in the right, since the facts/details of the situation have not been shared.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well you guys do what you guys do. I'll consent to a search. And yes I was kidding about the cocaine and machine gun under the seat (sarcasm is lost in text I suppose).

As they say, You can't fix stupid....

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    HoCo Police were actually pretty good about returning firearms. No engravings or anything like that (although they did mix up the mags between two different pistols). I got the run-around bigtime at first; the key though was finally getting the "packet" or paperwork from them. I don't know if it's different from department to department, but it seemed once I finally got somebody to send me the appropriate paperwork, it was a pretty straightforward process. If you've already gotten the "return my gun" paperwork, you're probably already on your way to having them returned is my guess.

I filled out the paperwork for the return, which isn't completely unlike a 77R, and within a week or two I got a letter in the mail saying 'Yup, you're good-to-go, bring this paperwork with you to the property room and we'll hand over your gun." I went to the police station, and a cop met me in a small room off the lobby. He opened up the case and handed the pistol to me to inspect before walking off with it. It was kinda surreal having a uniformed officer hand me a .45 in the middle of a police station to be honest.

Like I said, my big hassle was just getting them to send me the paperwork to start the process. They fed me some line about how they had to have the officer that brought it into property approve it to be released; I dunno if that's really the case or not. Maybe it is and that one cop was just dragging his feet bigtime for one reason or another. But, if you've got the paperwork, I think you've got a good shot at getting the gun(s) back without a lawyer or even too much hassle.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Your calling me stupid because my opinion differs from yours?

Nah, it's because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Or maybe it's because you can't understand that what this guy was doing WAS LEGAL, yet you still argue that "well, just do everything legally and you'll be fine."

Your reading comprehension skills are so low they can't even be measured.

paradox

Oct 20, 2010
    MoCo

If you've never seen this before, it will knock your socks off.
    This is the most compelling argument I've ever heard on any legal subject.

Thanks. That was really informative. It did knock my socks off. :thumbsup: If this does not convince anyone that you should not talk to cops, and much less let them search your belongings, I don't know what does.

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    Well you guys do what you guys do. I'll consent to a search. And yes I was kidding about the cocaine and machine gun under the seat (sarcasm is lost in text I suppose).
    Oh my! :sad20::sad20:
    Why would anyone give up their rights? But its your right to be stupid. Good luck to you in the future.

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm sorry to hear that you've had to deal with this BS. I do not miss living in MD whatsoever!!!!

I recently moved to CO, where I can drive around w/ a loaded handgun in my truck w/o a CCW. Also, I just got my CCW, which cost me $52.50 for CBI and $100 for a 5 year permit fee. It took me 90 days from date of application to get my permit.

I hope that things in MD change someday for those who wish to CCW or at least go to/from the range w/o worrying if you're compliant w/ 1000 different BS regulations.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Like I said, my big hassle was just getting them to send me the paperwork to start the process. They fed me some line about how they had to have the officer that brought it into property approve it to be released; I dunno if that's really the case or not. Maybe it is and that one cop was just dragging his feet bigtime for one reason or another. But, if you've got the paperwork, I think you've got a good shot at getting the gun(s) back without a lawyer or even too much hassle.

When police take firearms, or any other property for that matter, they indicate on the property sheet whether it is to be held or released.

If the seizing officer indicated your firearms were to be held, it necessitated getting that release before the next step in the process.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    When police take firearms, or any other property for that matter, they indicate on the property sheet whether it is to be held or released.

If the seizing officer indicated your firearms were to be held, it necessitated getting that release before the next step in the process.

That makes sense, and I figured must have been the case. Unfortunately, instead of telling me that, they just kept giving me the 'check is in the mail' routine. I have no idea why, I guess they figured that was easier than explaining why they had to hold onto it? I had no interest in fighting the system, I just wanted to know what the deal was. Oh well, it worked out peachy in the end, which was sorta my ultimate point anyway.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Your calling me stupid because my opinion differs from yours?

Absolutely not, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is and no matter how many experts disagree with you. I'll never assume you're stupid because you disagree with me.

Now, not listening to the advice of professionals on a matter that you know little about, that might be what we call stupid around here. You're also apparently not open minded either and that's perhaps even more dangerous.

Good Luck Out There,

Mark

PS - You didn't happen to vote for Barrack Obama too, did you?

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    First let me preface this by saying the vast majority of police are respectfu of civl rights.. The second thing i would say is that especially in this state that video will hopefully engrain in my head to never talk to the police.

Thaimonkee

Jun 2, 2010
    Bethesda
    Isnt there anything he cn do since the Police Illegally took his guns? I mean he was coming home from the range. But im still unsure how he was transporting it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom