• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I were carrying any weapons while being stopped by a LEO, I should say, "Officer, I have legal and unloaded firearms in my vehicle". Perhaps, being naive, I would just get myself in trouble by being upfront and honest.

This is protocol in some states when carrying concealed under license.

Probably I should remain silent.

This is the correct answer.

Wearing a Range Badge should, in all reality, signify that you are NOT someone of suspicion but rather one who follows the Law and abides by the Constitution. FPS and other LEOs could give their impression on this scenario.

I am not a LEO (or a lawyer.) Just want to clarify that.

What would you expect from someone who is legally transporting any weapon or weapons to or from a Range or is legally transportation ANY firearm ? Should they voluntarily announce that there are weapons in the vehicles? Perhaps silence is the proper way to go. Need an answer, just asking.

To be honest, the LEO's would always prefer to have all the available information, but they aren't lawyers, and to be honest that is the opinion you are really looking for.

Law Enforcement Officers (and this isn't a slight at them) are not experts on how to protect your legal rights nor is that their interest. Their job is to detect violations of law and act as an agent for the state to apprehend those who violate the law. (They also act as first responders for non-criminal emergent situations, but even then, their primary job is to detect violations of the law and everything else is ancillary.)

Mark

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Then you deserve whatever happens to you as a result... whether you had knowledge of the contents of your vehicle or not.

So does this mean I can't call you to bail me out when the cops find my cocaine in the ashtray and the machine gun under my front seat? :rolleyes: I know what's in my car, I have nothing to hide. Unless you have a bunch of strangers driving your car, you of all people should know what's in your car.

Back to the OP, I would find the Officer and contact their Supervisor and inform them of the situation. If you really want to pursue this legally then it's your right to do so. Good luck.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Crap like this is why I'm glad I don't like in Maryland any more, it's getting as bad as New York and New Jersey.

BTW, what's a "range badge" and where / why would one be wearing one?

A range badge is like a political button they used to make at election time. If you are a member of the AGC range you get one to identify yourself as a member. Think metal membership card. It must be worn (visible) at all times while on the range

On another note: if you read the post, the OP was carrying legally, that is why he can get his guns back WITHOUT being prosecuted. The prosecutor did not agree with the LEO that confiscated them.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    So does this mean I can't call you to bail me out when the cops find my cocaine in the ashtray and the machine gun under my front seat? :rolleyes: I know what's in my car, I have nothing to hide. Unless you have a bunch of strangers driving your car, you of all people should know what's in your car.

Back to the OP, I would find the Officer and contact their Supervisor and inform them of the situation. If you really want to pursue this legally then it's your right to do so. Good luck.

You are kidding right.

Tell me, how many laws does Maryland have? Feel free to use google.

n1hook

Feb 28, 2010
    Parkville
    Never give consent. Don't answer questions. If asked for a drivers license and registration/insurance card comply anything else you get what happened to you.

It does not violate any law to NOT give consent to search that means you voluntarily gave up your Constitutional rights Why would anyone do that with the gun climate in maryland amongst politicians and some law enforcement agencies. This state protects and encourages illegal aliens to come to Maryland, they call them New Americans, you don't count.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Sounds a lot like some of the Open Carry cases recently. You were blatantly transporting to/from the range as evidenced by your range badge.(Her probable cause?) I say get the SAF or one of the Lawyers on here to sue the crap out of her and the dept. Your rights have and continue to be violated not to mention what they have done with an engraver all over your guns.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    And this is why I want to GTFO of Montgomery County. Personally I do my best to not get pulled over, and I transport firearms daily. I have never been asked in Maryland to have my vehicle searched, and I have never been asked whether I have firearms in the car or not.

Hell in PA I was pulled over for traffic stuff (running stop sign, speeding) while carrying. The issue of me having a gun never came up. Wasn't asked, didn't tell.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Amendment IV
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The 4th amendment:
    Use it or lose it!

Maybe half the time I've gotten pulled over the officer has asked if I had weapons and if they could search my car(I guess it has something to do with all my gun stickers?)
    I always have weapons of some sort, but I will NEVER admit this to the police!
    They don't need to know and I don't need to tell them.
    Nothing good can come from telling the police you are transporting weapons.
    When asked to consent to a search I say no, go get a warrant.
    When pushed simply ask the officer if you are free to go or if you are being detained.
    They can't detain you for very long if they are not charging you with something and they can't legally search your vehicle without a warrant, probable cause, or your permission.
    Don't consent, don't answer questions, and don't leave your weapons or illegal items/substances in plain view and you should be fine.
    (I am not a lawyer)

parashootman

Dec 7, 2007
    They usually don't bother me after i show them my MSP CARRY PERMIT.
    Support MSI, and you too will get the same advantage!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    This is the kind of autistic logic that will cost you thousands of dollars. No offense, but following the law isn't always enough.
    ]

Which thousands? Never had problem with the law. Maybe a ticket or two in my 20's.

Have I been stop and searched. Nope. Have I been arrested. Nope.
    Have I used a lawyer before. Nope.

Am I a perfect citizen. Haa!

My point is . Y is he worried to drive to/from the range. If he's following the regs and law?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Which thousands? Never had problem with the law. Maybe a ticket or two in my 20's.

Have I been stop and searched. Nope. Have I been arrested. Nope.
    Have I used a lawyer before. Nope.

Am I a perfect citizen. Haa!

My point is . Y is he worried to drive to/from the range. If he's following the regs and law?

He was going to/from the range. Officer saw his range badge and decided to intentionally violate his rights and confiscate his guns. Prosecuter found nothing to prosecute but they refuse to release his illicit legal firearms after they engraved all over them. We need to sue them into recognizing our rights.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    He was going to/from the range. Officer saw his range badge and decided to intentionally violate his rights and confiscate his guns. Prosecuter found nothing to prosecute but they refuse to release his illicit legal firearms after they engraved all over them. We need to sue them into recognizing our rights.

was commenting on boxtop post not the OP. :):innocent0

its sucks that the OP had to deal w/ the issue.. but should not scare anybody else of legally transporting their firearm.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I hope you didnt have anything of great value or collectible as they're most likely going to get engraved with an electic pen. You're definitely going to have some issues getting them back bro, and I would definitely consult with an attorney. Best of luck man and let us know if we can help out.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'll consent to a search cause I know I have nothing to hide.

You just made the case for not consenting to a search or talking to police. The OP thought he was legal and because of the ignorance of the MoCo police officer and consenting to a search he now has no weapons and has to jump through hoops to get his legally possesed property back.

You have constitutional protections to prevent this kind of crap. Cops are always conducting a fishing expedition. If you don't consent, without RAS the cop cannot search your vehicle. The mere wearing of a range badge is not RAS. Why give them an opportunity?

As per previous advice:
    Don't consent to a search
    Don't talk to the police other than what is required by law. (id)

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Well you guys do what you guys do. I'll consent to a search. And yes I was kidding about the cocaine and machine gun under the seat (sarcasm is lost in text I suppose).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The point of the OP is simply being legal is not enough. Too often MD LE agencies ( and urban and politically correct generally) are ramped up in the mind set that all guns are evil, confiscate everything, let God sort it out later.
    Some States have explicit requirement that if carrying under auspicies of CCW permit, required to notify LE .
    Other than that definatly Don't volenteer . If directly asked, seperate discussion of simply direct answer vs standing on fifth .

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom