• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    At the moment on my Savage 93R17 I have my scope mounted on the factory bases and the the allowance between the objective and barrel is almost paper thin. My question is will the MOA base lower the objective end any more? If so guess I'll need some high rings...

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    If you're putting a sloped rail, like say a 20 minute rail then yes the front will be lower than the back. Don't know whatcha got in mind but hope that helps ya out.

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    Yeah that helps, thank you. I'm just gonna stick with the factory, my mount height right now is just perfect and not worth giving up. Guess I had an idea in my head that I may shoot at a distance that could benefit from a MOA base at some point, so why not. lol

Typical consumer attitude :sad20:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    1) Go to 25 yards, put up a tall target (B34), and put an aiming point near the bottom so your bullets land on paper.

2) Dial up a quarter turn at a time, shoot a few while noting impact and start counting clicks to see how much "Up" you have left right now.

Stop when you run out of scope travel or when clicks no longer equate to measurable reticle/POI movement.

3) Go to a ballistic program, run a drop table out to a few hundred yards in increments of 25.

4) Compare your available elevation to elevations shown on your drop table to see just how far you can dial and make an informed decision.

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    Thank you for the great info Ed. That shall be my next range trip task, and I'll go from there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom