• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    While I can understand the statement about .30cal rifle not being the best for home defense (unless your neighbors and family members are all a long, long way past the outside walls) due to penetration and carry - or unless you are standing off the zombie hordes at 200 yds. But do not follow about 30cal not good for deer. With 30/30, 30-06 and 308 rounds probably taking more US med/large game than any other size caliber.

Also do not understand where 223 can not be good for either deer or HD. A heavier 70gr bullet should do fine on a well placed deer shot and lighter bullets have less barrier (wall) penetration then most common 9mm or 45cal pistol rounds.

Back to OP question....

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have a Mini-30 and am VERY happy with it. I opted to install the drop arm on the stock and add an aftermarket cheek rest. It also comes with a straight tube.
    n1498058837_30219396_2666.jpg

Make sure to get a Ranch Rifle with a serial number that starts with 581- or greater. Some people will complain about accuracy, but this was before Ruger starting making the barrels a little thicker and also making them in house. It will digest any ammo you feed it. It will also toss empty cases almost to the next county. I'm not kidding, unless you have someone change out the gas bearing, fired casings will go 30 or 40 feet. The ATI stock requires you to get a metal frame to install inside the stock. This will make the fit a little tight and will probably need a little work with some sandpaper and a wooden block. Took me 30 minutes or so to get mine fitting real nice. Put a nice optic on it and you will be good to go for deer out to 150 yards, depending on your capabilities. Just make sure you sight in with soft point ammo before you go hunting and not the el cheapo milsurp stuff. I sight in 1-inch high at 100 yards. This will put you minute of deer (vitals shot) out to 150 yards. If your maximum range would be 100 yards or less, then sight in dead on at 100 yards. The Mini-30 is a fun gun to shoot, but not cheap. I will say that is slightly more accurate than the average SKS or AK but you have to modify them to mount an optic whereas the Mini comes with Rings that clamp right onto the receiver.

Also, the 7.62x39 is pretty much equal to a 30-30 and no one would tell you that round is not for deer. Again, just make sure you shoot soft points and not hollow points or milsurp full metal jackets.

Sounds like everyone else got lucky on their guns. My mini30 WILL NOT shoot steel ammo, period. No wolf, tula or any other of the cheap (russian) ammo. Has become kind of a let down. Still can get ammo but its more expersive then I'd hoped. Better think it through and check out perfectunion.com

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    While I can understand the statement about .30cal rifle not being the best for home defense (unless your neighbors and family members are all a long, long way past the outside walls) due to penetration and carry - or unless you are standing off the zombie hordes at 200 yds. But do not follow about 30cal not good for deer. With 30/30, 30-06 and 308 rounds probably taking more US med/large game than any other size caliber.

Also do not understand where 223 can not be good for either deer or HD. A heavier 70gr bullet should do fine on a well placed deer shot and lighter bullets have less barrier (wall) penetration then most common 9mm or 45cal pistol rounds.

Back to OP question....

The velocity of a rifle round is much faster than that of a handgun round. Yes, a .223 can take a deer. There was a thread on hear a while ago discussing the appropriate bullet to use.

seanc

Jan 4, 2011
    balttigger,

Thanks! And thats a great pic. So your advice would be to get the ranch rifle and then have the ATI stock installed? And that shouldn't be to difficult....?

Everyone,

Thanks for all the input. Its been very helpful!

I think that we are certainly leaning towards the mini 30 over the mini 14. I am hoping to have this squared away by the next chantilly gun show!

Thanks everyone,

SC

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    You can install the ATI stock yourself if you have a small skill set. Again, it took about 30 minutes with a file and then a sandblock to get the fit just right so the magazines went in nice and smoothly. Actually, mine is the Tapco stock not the ATI. The ATI does NOT require the stock support bracket but still requires some sanding to fit the mag well area.

Just make sure the serial number is 581- or higher and it will be a Ranch Rifle. The only thing that should require a gunsmith is if you decide you don't want your brass slung three stalls down at the range and get a smaller gas bearing. That requires an inch/pound torque wrench for the gas block.

seanc

Jan 4, 2011
    Awesome. Thanks everyone for the help.

I am really leaning towards the Mini 30 with the pistol grip. So now its time to hit the markets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom