• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    This sucka is officially MINE!

I’ll be heading to the range tonight to fire off a few hundred rounds.

Woo hoo! I’m ready for the zombie apocalypse!

:party29:

Attachments

• Smith & Wesson M&P 22.jpg
      Smith & Wesson M&P 22.jpg
      21.6 KB · Views: 448

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Sweet. If a good conversion is not available then the next best thing is a sub caliber duplicate for inexpensive training and practice. I believe there is a bb or softair variant as well for practicing in your livingroom as well. Now you will need the 9mm/40 version for real life.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Thanks, everyone.

One of the reasons I purchased this particular .22 was precisely to help me migrate to a larger caliber once I establish some sold marksmanship fundamentals.

I'M SO STOKED! This 7-day waiting period SUCKS.

Delayed gratification is NOT how I roll.

;-)

Simms65

Oct 24, 2007
    Inwood, WV
    I'm rather pleased with mine. I pulled the action out of the pistol and pulled the safety levers off the sides. It now is almost a 100% match in feel and operation to my M&P9 FS. The only problem I have with it is every once in a while the first round out of the mag (doesn't matter how many rounds are in the mag) will FTE, and I'll have to TRB. It's good practice for a failure drill at least. :D

The big frustration I have right now is finding extra mags that aren't inflated in price. If you find a good deal on 10 round mags snatch 'em up, because the only difference between the 10 and 12 rnd mags is an easily removed metal spacer attached to the base plate. ;)

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Thanks, Simms.

Question: for the benefit of noobs like myself, what do "FTE" and "TRB" stand for?

And thanks for the tip on the mags; I purchased a pair of 10-rounders off the S&W website today for $32 ea, but if I can convert them to 12-rounders just by removing that spacer you pointed out, that will be a help.

Too bad my gun came with only 1 mag, but 2 extra should do me for a while.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Lots of people throughout history aren't around today because of a .22, normally placed behind the ear at point blank range, but a .22 nonetheless. ;)

Congrats, when you get done cutting your teeth with the baby brother, take a look at the bigger brothers, they're solid performers, I love my M&P .45, just feels RIGHT in my hand.

Gratuitous pic -

View attachment 56952

Last edited:

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Lots of people throughout history aren't around today because of a .22, normally placed behind the ear at point blank range, but a .22 nonetheless. ;)

Congrats, when you get done cutting your teeth with the baby brother, take a look at the bigger brothers, they're solid performers, I love my M&P .45, just feels RIGHT in my hand.

Gratuitous pic -

View attachment 56952

Sweet piece, bro!

I'm looking forward to an eventual upgrade; gotta get my basics down first.

blitzburgh55

May 23, 2011
    Can't go wrong with an m&p. Love my 9 so much I'm getting it duracoated! A 22 is on my long list-o-guns I want.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Smith & Wesson M&P 22: My Review

I'm back from an hour and a half at Gilbert's Indoor Range in Rockville, MD, where I was breaking in my new baby, my Smith & Wesson M&P 22lr pistol.

I LOVE THIS GUN!

I am SO HAPPY I followed my instinct and bought a handgun that fits me well and can help me build my basic marksmanship skills without overpowering my noob tukkus.

I don't have the biggest of hands, and it was SO EASY to load the magazine of the S&WM&P22, compared with, say, the Glock 19, which was such a struggle for me, I couldn't fully load the mag, and that I found frustrating. Not the kind of mindset you want when you're getting ready to fire a weapon and work on your shooting fundamentals.

That was NOT an issue with the S&WM&P22. It was nothing but a pleasure to work with from start to finish.

Next, the magazine slides so easily into the pistol well, it quickly became second nature. The manufacturer warned against slamming the mag in with too much force, but this was smooth, nice and easy.

The S&WM&P22 felt so good in my hands, like a full-size gun, yet light, comfortable and easy to manipulate and control.

In a word, the gun functioned like a DREAM.

I pumped 300 rounds through that handgun without a single problem -- effortless. The slide worked nice and easy, loaded or unloaded, with safety or without. And it had that last-cartridge slide lock feature I enjoy so much with my Marlin 60 .22 rifle.

Next, the ambidextrous thumb safety seemed perfectly positioned for my thumb as a right-handed shooter. I will note the safety seemed easier to push down with my thumb than to push up.

The magazine release button was extremely well positioned too and functioned quite smoothly. I believe it can be reversed for left-handed shooters.

If you don't know, the S&WM&P22 has a magazine detach safety, meaning it's mechanically impossible to fire a round from the pistol if the magazine is not in place. I especially like this, as a noob, because when I'm reloading at the range, I know I can put the safety on AND pull the mag out and have TWO mechanical safeties providing an extra level of protection against accidental discharge (in addition to my own careful firearm handling).

And I noticed no problem at all with the trigger. During my online research, I took note that some shooters complained that the trigger didn't have an audible or physically detectable trigger reset after firing the first round.

A COMPLETE NON-ISSUE as far as me and my trigger finger were concerned. It seemed like I could instantly tell exactly where my finger had to pull in order to fire the next round.

The gun also has a slightly larger trigger guard than you might expect, which would make it easy to use with a glove on.

The sights worked fine for me too, with the front sight having the white dot facing you, and the rear sight being plain black, making it quite easy to see the front sight in the sometimes uneven lighting at the firing range.

The S&WM&P22 also has an adequately sized accessory rail under the front of the barrel, so my new mini- tactical light fits perfectly underneath, in case I have to use it in the middle of the night to wax me some zombies.

And the S&WM&P22 comes with a small tool you can use to untwist the cap off the front of the barrel -- in case you want to pay a $200 excise tax on top of a regular sticker price and equip your .22 with a sound suppresor.

You can't add or subtract anything on the rear of the pistol handle, so you'll want to make sure you can live with the way the gun fits your hand as is. It fits my hand quite fine, so that's not an issue for me.

Now, I haven't cleaned or oiled the gun yet or stripped it down, but from the videos I've seen online, it looks like a pretty easy and straight-forward process.

The S&WM&P22 comes in its own S&W plastic case with the usual kind of padding. The case feels a little skimpy right around the carry handle. If I can find a nice hard-shell case, I'll probably opt for that; in the meantime, it should be fine.

Also, the pistol itself comes with only one magazine, and for $400, some people think one extra mag should have been included. I agree.

I think you could easily fit anywhere from 1 to 3 additional mags inside the standard case. I'll find out soon. I ordered two extra mags today from the S&W website.

The final package comes with a padded wire lock that fits nicely through a small hole right inside the case's handle.

Being just a noob, and not having stripped it apart yet, I'd give the overall package a grade of 97 or 98 out of 100. An extra mag ought to have been included at that price point. And a slightly more substantial plastic case seems called for as well.

I love this gun; works like a dream; functions smoothly, easily, flawlessly; can't imagine a complaint that could be lodged against it.

If you've been thinking of a Glock 9mm or .40 cal but found that just a little too much to handle comfortably and accurately, THIS GUN SHOULD BE PERFECT FOR YOU.

In fact, if moving up to that caliber is your goal, the size of this gun and its dimensions will make the transition a quite smooth process.

For all you locals in Montgomery County, I'll add an interesting aside, if you'll indulge me a moment further. When I purchased this firearm at Atlantic Guns in Rockville on Friday the 13th, I didn't know it came in a 10-round version and a 12-round version. But after I made my buy and was engaging in my daily drool on the Smith & Wesson website while I waited for the dreadful 7-day waiting period to expire, I noticed the two iterations.

So when I went in this morning to pick it up, the guy behind the counter at Atlantic Guns -- who was NOT the guy that sold it to me -- I asked him which version it was. He said it would be the 10-round. "In fact, I don't think they make a 12-round version."

Having drooled over this weapon for the better part of two weeks, I assured him there was a 12-round version.

So, come to find out, when I'm loading my magazine for the first time this evening at Gilbert's, lo and behold, to my pleasant surprise, I discover I have the 12-round version after all! And the tag plasted to the bottom of the carry case confirmed as much.

The moral of this tale being, just because you work in a gunshop doesn't mean you know everything there is to know about guns -- even the guns you're selling, apparently -- and just because you don't work in a gun shop doesn't mean you don't know what you're talking about.

But because I've had such a great experience with my new purchase, I'm feeling generous, so I'll say in his defense that perhaps he hadn't had his first cup of coffee yet -- even though it was 9 a.m. by that point.

Just saying.

Okay. I love this gun. Look for me and my M&P at Gilbert's again SOON!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom