• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I remember a few years ago when somebody found a live baby Wallabee hopping around in the landfill. I don't think they ever found out how she got there. She eventually ended up at a local rescue.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I wish I'd have read this a week ago, I just shook Leopolds hand a week ago and had a quick conversation with him. He was knocking on doors in my neighborhood. I'll get that email off to him though.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Email sent. I really like the setup at Hap Bakers. It would be great to have something like that closer to me.

Harford County ought to have one at Scarboro landfill. Baltimore County should have one at Days Cove. There is state land east of Rt 40, just south of Joppa. Gov Schaefer had that getting set up developed parkland (part of Gunpowder State Park). After paving a few roads, the work stopped. That would be a good place too.

BTW, there is a nice slough off the little Gunpowder back there. When I fished it years ago, it held some nice largemouths.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    if you're really interested in pursuing a public range at the landfill, contact me by PM. I'm the current President of the Carroll County Sportmen's Association. We're the folks that convinced the County to build the Hap Baker Range and worked with them throughout the process.

Matt Guilfoyle

omalon

Aug 9, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Update

I receiwed the following from Cathy Vitale's office.

Mr. Smith, upon receipt of your 8/11/09 e-mail to Councilwoman Cathy Vitale, we did a little research on the Hap Baker Firearms Facility located in Carroll County at the Northern Landfill. The facility was constructed around 1995-1996 and the primary force behind its creation was the Carroll County Sportsman's Association and Hap Baker. Funding for the range came from the County, the Carroll County Sportman's Association, a grant from the National Rifle Association and the Dept. of Natural Resources so their police could use the facility for training and practice.

Although Anne Arundel County is currently facing budget difficulties, I have forwarded this information and your suggestion to the County Executive's Office for his consideration. Perhaps this is something he may consider in the future.

Let's follow up.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Wow!

Dang it. That e-mail address did not work. Please give me the address again. I will put the bug in his ear as well.

This is sweet!

A little help from some local LEOs to put the feelers out, NRA contact.. seems it could work!

Great job OP and others.

I just sent him an email. Mentioned how I'm at the Naval Academy and I can't afford the expensive fees of private gun clubs in the area and how a public range would benefit a large number of AA residents.

Hopefully that helps

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    What about the old Sudley landfill, that is now a recycling center. Besides its two miles from my house and surrounded by farm land. And its next to a gun club already, not sure of the name. I starting my letter now.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    I'm going to drop a letter in the mail to the exec later this week as well as my like minded lesgislators on the state level. Can't hurt to spread the idea around on varying levels.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I got a response already, perhaps even personal response?

View As Web Page

Dear Most Handsome Guy in the County (edited portion),

Thank you for bringing this idea to my attention. I have asked Jim
    Pittman, head of Waste Management Services in the Department of Public
    Works, to review your suggestions and to contact you at his earliest
    convenience.

Please call on me anytime I can be helpful to you.

JOHN R. LEOPOLD
    County Executive

Shall we contact this Jim gentleman he speaks of with some of our interest?

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    eeesh. Anybody not like guns?

Dear FRANKOCEANXRAY,

Your email to County Executive John Leopold regarding a shooting range at the Millersville Landfill has been given to me for response. I am the Deputy Director of Waste Management Services and responsible for recycling and waste management within the County. First, let me thank you for sharing your idea with us. We are always interested in receiving feedback from our customers.

Although I understand your enthusiasm about providing a public shooting range in the County, I must first say that the Millersville Landfill would not be the appropriate location. This facility is an active landfill and convenience center open to the general public. As such, we have over 40 employees that work at this facility and over 300,000 customers visit each year including weekends. Obviously, their safety is a primary goal. The site includes extensive environmental controls and monitoring devices for landfill gas, storm water run-off and contaminated liquids. It would be ill-advised to allow activities that could unintentionally compromise these systems.

Our County is faced with extremely difficult financial conditions and while this idea could eventually generate additional revenue, this isn't the right time to invest any tax dollars for this type of project. Lastly, we have neighbors living in close proximity to our property line that already have to accept occasional noise from our operation. I cannot expect them to also accept the additional noise that a shooting range may create.

Again, thank you for your suggestion.

Sincerely,

James Pittman,
    Deputy Director

cc: John R. Leopold, County Executive
    Spot77

My response:

Dear Ms. Pittman:

I appreciate your prompt response to the matter. I am sad to hear so many reasons why this cannot happen. The County Executive seemed positive as are some other officials within the county government and many county residents like myself. Borrowing text from a previous e-mail:

....upon receipt of your 8/11/09 e-mail to Councilwoman Cathy Vitale, we did a little research on the Hap Baker Firearms Facility located in Carroll County at the Northern Landfill. The facility was constructed around 1995-1996 and the primary force behind its creation was the Carroll County Sportsman's Association and Hap Baker. Funding for the range came from the County, the Carroll County Sportman's Association, a grant from the National Rifle Association and the Dept. of Natural Resources so their police could use the facility for training and practice.

This is not a new idea. It has been pulled off quite successfully in Carroll County. Interestingly enough,a quick check of satellite maps comparing Carrol County's Hap Baker site to the Millersville Landfill show nothing to substantiate your concerns with neighboring residents.

Of course we know money will always be a concern. As I recommended to our County Executive, everyone could give a little. There is strength in numbers and with several supporting institutions tax dollars wouldn't become a primary driving force to squash the idea.

What area would you recommend to advance shooter safety and firearms training?

Respectfully,

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Yet to reply. Sad. I will keep it in mind and may bounce that e-mail back to County Exec and the folks he recommended to survey the idea. Let everyone know what each other is doing. Something like transperency, right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom