• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Yes, near Milford DE, sorry, I can't think of the name right now but someone will soon for you I'm sure.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    thanks will check that out ... they used to be all over the place, now they are very hard to find ... where does all this stuff go now????

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    thanks will check that out ... they used to be all over the place, now they are very hard to find ... where does all this stuff go now????

Surplus auction sites, buying lots consisting of several gross at a timebin some cases. Too much competition in this Internet age compared to the way it used to be done .

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for this.

Anyone interested in splitting a lot of something, feel free to PM me. I'm always looking for and interested in deals. I'd be interested in a multiple unit generator purchase, medial gear, clothing, safety gear, etc.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Anyone interested in splitting a lot of something, feel free to PM me. I'm always looking for and interested in deals. I'd be interested in a multiple unit generator purchase, medial gear, clothing, safety gear, etc.

Well we should do a group buy of MDS for all those ammo cans.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    thanks for the link for the liquidation site.

Well what I find on the internet is all just new stuff, or knock-offs etc. I am interested in the old type store, with actually worn and used stuff with some new stuff mixed in.

not like Sunny's Surplus which is mainly new crap with one or two racks of old/worn stuff.

2much2do49

Feb 25, 2009
    Salisbury, MD
    Isn't there a place in Delmar that sells excess military stuff? Its in the same shopping center as Delmar Pizza.

I know my bro-in-law bought some cheap camo from there for hunting.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    not really surplus, mainly new made military gear. some used . lots of police equipment

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I remember the "good old days" when I was a kid in the 60s and early 70s. There were a ton of military surplus stores selling both new, old stock (NOS) as well as true used goods. I think there are two major differences from today. First, during WWII the nation had put virtually all industrial production into wartime. With the dropping of the atom bombs in August 1945, the war ended. Even the cancellation of those massive orders, we still had huge quantities of "stuff" that were already in the pipeline. The government liquidated much of that inventory at pennies on the dollar. That's where the old advertisements in the back of Popular Mechanics for $38 jeeps came from.

Second, IIRC the nation had something like 10 men in uniform during the war. After all those men were released back into civilian life, the government had literally tons of used uniforms, tents, canteens...everything needed to outfit those soldiers, sailors and airmen. Again, that stuff was all liquidated at bargain-basement prices.

Since Vietnam, the wars we've fought have been waged with much smaller forces. Adding to that, the DoD has gotten much better at estimating demand for supplies. So, there just isn't as much excess to be sold off.

That said, I believe that there will be more surplus goods hitting the market over the next few years as we wind down from Iraq and Afghanistan. However, it will never be like the post-WWII years.

Joe

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Shoot over to Dover DE
    Dover Army Navy Store
    222 West Loockerman Street
    Dover, DE, 19904
    P - (302) 736-1959
    F - (302) 736-2659

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I remember the "good old days" when I was a kid in the 60s and early 70s. There were a ton of military surplus stores selling both new, old stock (NOS) as well as true used goods. I think there are two major differences from today. First, during WWII the nation had put virtually all industrial production into wartime. With the dropping of the atom bombs in August 1945, the war ended. Even the cancellation of those massive orders, we still had huge quantities of "stuff" that were already in the pipeline. The government liquidated much of that inventory at pennies on the dollar. That's where the old advertisements in the back of Popular Mechanics for $38 jeeps came from.

Second, IIRC the nation had something like 10 men in uniform during the war. After all those men were released back into civilian life, the government had literally tons of used uniforms, tents, canteens...everything needed to outfit those soldiers, sailors and airmen. Again, that stuff was all liquidated at bargain-basement prices.

Since Vietnam, the wars we've fought have been waged with much smaller forces. Adding to that, the DoD has gotten much better at estimating demand for supplies. So, there just isn't as much excess to be sold off.

That said, I believe that there will be more surplus goods hitting the market over the next few years as we wind down from Iraq and Afghanistan. However, it will never be like the post-WWII years.

Joe

Well said Joe ... but added to that is the info age where it is much easier to get the word out and sell stuff ... POOF! The stuff is sold - gone!

Sometimes its bought by speculators to resell, other times it actually goes right to the end users. Either way, it just plain goes quicker than it did 30-40 years ago or even 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom