• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ahtucker

Mar 4, 2012
    I ordered one, it came in, IT's Great, none of the problems I see on here, but it's not on the roster yet so I can't take it out to shoot yet.AAAARRRRRRGGGGGG

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    remington is a pretty big company, you'd think they could come up with a new gun one of these days. They haven't really done anything too innovative in a while. The versa-max is pretty nifty thinking, but that's about it. They should dump some loot into an r&d department.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    It seems to me that Remington's quality has been on a downhill slide over the last several years. I have first-hand knowledge of several newer Remington firearms with major issues, which I had never seen in their products from several years back.

A 700 with an issue with the safety. Two 870's which required GREAT force to cycle after they were fired. Another 870 where the barrel flew about 20 feet after it broke away from the lug that attaches it to the magazine tube while shooting factory-loaded birdshot.

The quality of their ammunition has dropped as well. The worst offender is the Remington Golden .22 ammo where the bullets are loose and sometimes fall out of the brass before they even leave the box. The loose bullets also cause major feed issues, and you can hear a lot of variance in the powder charge upon firing.

I think this seals the deal. No more new Remington products for me.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It seems to me that Remington's quality has been on a downhill slide over the last several years. I have first-hand knowledge of several newer Remington firearms with major issues, which I had never seen in their products from several years back.

A 700 with an issue with the safety. Two 870's which required GREAT force to cycle after they were fired. Another 870 where the barrel flew about 20 feet after it broke away from the lug that attaches it to the magazine tube while shooting factory-loaded birdshot.

The quality of their ammunition has dropped as well. The worst offender is the Remington Golden .22 ammo where the bullets are loose and sometimes fall out of the brass before they even leave the box. The loose bullets also cause major feed issues, and you can hear a lot of variance in the powder charge upon firing.

I think this seals the deal. No more new Remington products for me.

yup. My 870 is a couple years old, but it had extremely sticky ejection and would only cycle AA's relatively reliably. Looking at the entrance to the chamber, across on the other side from the extractor was a lip of metal left over from machining the barrel. I had to take some sandpaper to the hump and then polish it out to get it to reliably extract hulls.

As the extractor pulled on one side of the base, it would force it against the lip...the harder you pull, the harder it jams the rim into the lip. The replacement 18.5" barrel I got doesn't have the same problem. I assume they're being cheap and not replacing tooling frequently enough, because I've had a LOT of people buy 870's and have similar problems. At least it's pretty easy to fix, with a little attention to that lip of metal near the chamber entrance.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I forgot one. An 1187 that's been back to the factory 3 times and it still won't cycle. The most recent stoppage was while he was out duck hunting. This time, it jammed up so bad he couldn't shoot at all. It now sits in the back of his safe because he's tired of sending it back, and he doesn't want to sell someone else a basketcase.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I don't think piling on is justified just yet. Should goods being released to the public be perfect, sure, but we do not live in a perfect world. Lots of popular guns out their right now have bugs and issues, even after years on the market.

I am waiting this one out. I am sure things will firm up after 6-9 months.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll echo Tim with this one.

First year, first production run guns rarely are gold out of the box.

If they can't get it right in a few months to a year, then yeah, I'll write 'em off.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I don't think piling on is justified just yet. Should goods being released to the public be perfect, sure, but we do not live in a perfect world. Lots of popular guns out their right now have bugs and issues, even after years on the market.

I am waiting this one out. I am sure things will firm up after 6-9 months.

I agree with you about not piling on when there are problems with a product that is new to the market, but this is not something that has just become an issue. I see this more as a major QC issue coming to a head.

I have a lot of respect for Remington, and I love their older firearms that have proven themselves to be reliable. Forgive me if I came across as bashing them, as I did not intend to come across that way. My intention was to provide constructive criticism.

If they can't get it right in a few months to a year, then yeah, I'll write 'em off.

This isn't a new problem, the examples I gave have occurred over the past three or four years. I absolutely love older Remingtons, and would trust them completely in a life or death situation.

I agree that a new model may have first-year bugs and fixes, but the 870, 1187 and 700 have been around for years. The same goes for the recent QC issues with their ammunition. This seems to be a recent quality control issue, and I don't see another few months to a year fixing the problem.

I feel quite certain that they will address these issues, and I would most likely purchase their products after they have demonstrated that I can safely put my life, and the lives of my family behind them.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Is it rare? Ruger seems to get it right with regularity. It's difficult to find a new SR1911 in a shop these days and the SR1911CMD is even more difficult to find. Furthermore, as their first offering in the 1911 market, it is quite obvious from their reviews, that they did their homework. They were able to make a series 70 1911 that passes the safety tests that the series 80 pistols were designed for. And at around $700.00 average selling price (new), when other quality SS pistols are in the $1000.00 plus range... it just works.

And several other manufacturers are doing a good job with their firearms. But, since Remington became a "group"... the old adage fits them well... "Find something you do well and do it well, don't try to find too many things to do at the same time... or they will all suffer from a lack of attention."

Remington (Freedom Group) has too many irons in the fire and their attention is divided up too thin for all of them to even do average, much less well.

I agree with you about not piling on when there are problems with a product that is new to the market, but this is not something that has just become an issue. I see this more as a major QC issue coming to a head.

I have a lot of respect for Remington, and I love their older firearms that have proven themselves to be reliable. Forgive me if I came across as bashing them, as I did not intend to come across that way. My intention was to provide constructive criticism.

This isn't a new problem, the examples I gave have occurred over the past three or four years. I absolutely love older Remingtons, and would trust them completely in a life or death situation.

I agree that a new model may have first-year bugs and fixes, but the 870, 1187 and 700 have been around for years. The same goes for the recent QC issues with their ammunition. This seems to be a recent quality control issue, and I don't see another few months to a year fixing the problem.

I feel quite certain that they will address these issues, and I would most likely purchase their products after they have demonstrated that I can safely put my life, and the lives of my family behind them.

I'm not "piling on"... not jumping on the band wagon against Remington. Rather I am of the opinion that many of the Corporate Heads of the "Group" don't know a pistol from a hairdrier. And that's what's showing up in their products these days. They should divest themselves of some of their holdings and renew their interest in making the same fine products that got them where they were prior to becoming "The Freedom Group". Sadly, if they don't wake up... I see their reputation sinking further for a while.
    http://www.freedom-group.com
    We are the world's leading innovator, designer, manufacturer and marketer of firearms, ammunition and related products for the hunting, shooting sports, law enforcement and military markets. As one of the largest manufacturers in the world of firearms and ammunition, we have some of the most globally recognized brands including Remington®, Bushmaster® Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms™, Marlin®, H&R®, The Parker Gun™, Mountain Khakis®, Advanced Armament Corp. ®, Dakota Arms®, Para™ USA and Barnes® Bullets.

And that doesn't even touch the sub list of products like oil, cleaning products, safes etc...

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    I knew that I had seen that design somewhere else...

7520_prev.jpg

:lol::lol2:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Just look what happened to Marlin once it was taken over by the ownership group of which Remington is also under. There are real concerns about quality of current production, including old standbys, like Mod 700 and 870. It is just going downhill fast and Marlin is just really bad. On the other hand, Ruger does not produce junk and will repair any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom