• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omnipotent

Semper Fi
    Jan 10, 2013
    MoCo
    Dear Senator Montgomery,

I completely oppose the proposed bill - SB0281 - Firearm Safety Act of 2013. I would like to understand how anything in this bill will actually protect the citizens of this state. Please cite one fact either at the state level or Federal level that show gun restrictions will reduce gun related crimes?

What we do know is the following:

a) In Virginia between 2006-2011 gun sales went up by 73% and at the same time gun-related violent crimes fell 24%.
    b) Since the outset of the Florida right-to-carry law, the Florida murder rate has averaged 36% lower than it was before the law took effect, while the U.S. murder rate has averaged 15% lower
    c) Since the outset of the Texas right-to-carry law, the Texas murder rate has averaged 30% lower than it was before the law took effect, while the U.S. murder rate has averaged 28% lower

I can continue to cite facts that show more guns does not equal more crime. As a matter of fact let’s look at states/cities where gun controls were put in place:

a) During the years in which the D.C. handgun ban and trigger lock law was in effect, the Washington, D.C. murder rate averaged 73% higher than it was at the outset of the law, while the U.S. murder rate averaged 11% lower
    b) Since the outset of the Chicago handgun ban, the percentage of Chicago murders committed with handguns has averaged about 40% higher than it was before the law took effect

I will ask again, please show me some facts, any facts that support such extreme legislation.

All I see this bill doing is creating 2.5 million criminals in the State of Maryland, that up until this point have been nothing but law abiding citizens.

Please do not infringe upon me and my fellow citizens’ 2nd Amendment rights.

Thank you for your time and hopefully your support of the US Constitution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jason,

I appreciate your concern over gun control. The events in Newtown, Connecticut were horrifying. Killing children can wake up a nation to address a major issue. Maryland should not be exempt from this wake up call in this upcoming session.

I have myself added as a co-sponsor to Governor’s Firearm Safety Act of 2013. I believe that a holistic approach to gun control is the best way to combat this issue.

It should not be easier to buy a car than it is to buy a firearm.
    Sincerely,

Karen S. Montgomery

Senator Karen S. Montgomery
    The Senate of Maryland
    District 14- Montgomery County
    301-858-3625
    410-841-3625
    James Senate Office Building
    11 Bladen Street
    Annapolis, MD 21401

She must be smoking crack.....how in the hell is it easier to buy a gun in Maryland than to buy a car? I walk into dealer or person selling car, drop down cash, take car home.

Buy a gun, go to FFL, complete upteen pages of paper work, wait 7-30 days, get approved, go back retrieve said gun, get to put it in my safe because I can't carry it anywhere.

IDIOTS!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Call her and demand to speak to her personally and set her straight. Last I checked there was no criminal background check to buy a car.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    She's a lost cause. Don't waste your time. You're better off focusing your efforts on those who remain on the fence.

Omnipotent

Semper Fi
    Jan 10, 2013
    MoCo
    Call her and demand to speak to her personally and set her straight. Last I checked there was no criminal background check to buy a car.

I would, but I'm not sure I could maintain composure talking to someone so leftist leaning....maybe tomorrow I will be calm enough to try, but I gotta say even having discussions with friendly anti gun people gets a bit heated...with someone so ignorant I might go off the deep end.

I'll save it for Dec 6th, and make my statement directly to her...eye contact is the key.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Got the same response from her to my e-mail about opposing the bills. :tdown:

[sigh]

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Hi Jason,

I appreciate your concern over gun control. The events in Newtown, Connecticut were horrifying. Killing children can wake up a nation to address a major issue. Maryland should not be exempt from this wake up call in this upcoming session.

I have myself added as a co-sponsor to Governor’s Firearm Safety Act of 2013. I believe that a holistic approach to gun control is the best way to combat this issue.

http://ww2.gazette.net/stories/080106/montele73808_31911.shtml

" What is your position on abortion?

I believe prevention of an unwanted pregnancy is primary and do not believe abortion should be used casually. I do believe in a woman’s right to choose."

:sad20:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    People convicted of umpteen felonies and serious misdemeanors buy vehicles at licensed car and truck dealerships every day, even though buying those vehicles is not a constitutionally-protected natural right. Vehicles are easily used as deadly weapons. Almost no experience is required, never mind expertise.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    AUTO RESPONSE!!!! I got the EXACT same response to my email to her. It looks like some of these morons are just ignoring the facts. Oh wait, we're in MD. why would I expect anything different?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    According to her bio on Wikipedia, she has a child with autism.

Maybe her irrational bigotry towards guns is her way of deflecting blame, after Newtown.

Her occupation is listed as "Art Professor", meaning that in the grand scheme of things, she's slightly more useful than a basket weaving instructor, and slightly less useful than a Walmart greeter.

Good luck trying to impart some common sense and rationality into that one.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Check this out!

"In the 2010 elections, Montgomery challenged incumbent Senator Rona E. Kramer in the Democratic primary and defeated her by less than 200 votes."

WE CAN UNSEAT HER EASILY, WE JUST NEED 101 OR MORE GUN OWNERS IN HER DISTRICT TO DO IT.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    According to her bio on Wikipedia, she has a child with autism.

Maybe her irrational bigotry towards guns is her way of deflecting blame, after Newtown.

Her occupation is listed as "Art Professor", meaning that in the grand scheme of things, she's slightly more useful than a basket weaving instructor, and slightly less useful than a Walmart greeter.

Good luck trying to impart some common sense and rationality into that one.

She's less useful than a basket weaving instructor. Basket weavers create something that has purpose.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    A "HOLISTIC" approach!? Really?

Holistic: Characterized by the treatment of the whole person, taking into account mental and social factors, rather than just the physical..

So what the h&ll exactly is "Holistic" about this stupid bill?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Am I reading that right? Sounds to me like she wants to make it harder to buy a car or easier to buy a firearm!

True. She's not thinking logically. She's living for the moment and letting emotion and adrenaline trump prudent reasoning, at the expense of the future safety and well-being of everyone she represents.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Tell its not, you do not have wait seven days to buy a car, and fill out paperwork so the MSP can say yay or nay to you owning a car.

wanman75

Jan 17, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    It should not be easier to buy a car than it is to buy a firearm.

Was that really the line in her response? I can't parse any sense out of it since it is already harder (from a process point of view) to purchase a firearm.

What's her point? Does she mean that she wants to make car buying harder? Or firearms purchasing easier? I would sign up for the latter. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom