• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    OK, what are your experiences with Marlin's Micro Groove rifling? Is it better or worse than traditional rifling? Accuracy-wise? Cleaning-wise. With such small, shallow grooves and knowing how dirty most 22LR ammo is, it seems as if it may dirty up quicker and/or take more effort to clean. Am I off on this? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    my 60 is micro rooved and it no different to clean than anything else IMOH.
    pretty darn accurate for a cheap gun to. better or worse:shrug:

I will say that the 795 has a much shorter and smaller dia than my 60 of the early 90's

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    my 60 is micro rooved and it no different to clean than anything else IMOH.
    pretty darn accurate for a cheap gun to. better or worse:shrug:

I will say that the 795 has a much shorter and smaller dia than my 60 of the early 90's

The Marlin 60 is a great gun. We love ours. Everyone should have one.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Marlin is a lot for the money. Micro rifling has worked in the Marlin 60 and in my 336 35 remington.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I've had a few over the years and all have worked well.
    The model 39a is one of the most accurate .22s I have owned for a stock gun.

Old Skool

Mar 7, 2010
    Parkville
    To address your questions in order.
    I also have no bad experiences with this type rifling, or Marlin rifles in general. They
    are designed to be hunting arms, not match grade rifles. They are a great value for
    the money. Being better, or worse, than traditional rifling is a mater of perspective.
    Marlin uses this micro grove technique as a means of economy. In 1950 they adopted
    the button method of rifling their barrels. It resulted in faster production, better bore
    finish, longer tooling life, and more uniform dimensions. If you want the zenith in
    accuracy, pay attention to the custom makers (Hart/Shilen/ Lilja etc.) as they do not
    use this micro grove technique. As for cleaning, it should be easier with less height
    to the rifling. Though in reality you never have to clean a rimfire rifle's bore. It is the
    carbon ring that must be removed, just ahead of the chamber. It is this constriction
    of .0002-.0004 inch that must be removed to allow the rifle to reach full potential of
    it's accuracy. This is the area of bench rest shooting i am refering to, and has little to
    do with your average Marlin rifle. Old Skool

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Thanks guys. Should have stated that my questions come from the angle of two kids working through a bulk box in an afternoon. Not really concerned with match-grade accuracy. Looks like the 60 may fill the bill very well. Sold tons of them @ Dave's in the past, just never worked with one personally. Thanks everyone and great post Old Skool.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Micro-groove in a .22 is awesome. Micro-Groove in a centerfire with jacketed bullets is also great. Micro-groove in a centerfire with cast bullets isn't so good.

rbart48

Dec 30, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    I have two Marlin rifles; a Model 80DL with peep sights (my first range gun) and a Model 989-M2 (my first autoloader fun gun). Never had any problems with the Micro-Groove rifling. Both of the guns were accurate and easy to care for. I got the 80DL when I was 13 (1962) and the 989-M2 in my early 20's. I have had a great deal of pleasure shooting both of them.

rbart48

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom