• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    So the textbooks say that making the blunt meplat less blunt improves the form factor of a bullet, thereby improving its BC and resulting external ballistics. Small bullets are especially helped because their meplat to caliber diameter ratio is high (for example a 77gr SMK has a meplat of 0.064" to its .224" diameter, or .29 meplat to caliber, vs a 175gr SMK's .21). This is of interest to me because I reload and shoot the small calibers - .224 and .264.

Using a formula that estimates form factors, I calculated that if I could reduce a .224 and .264 meplat by 0.02, I could improve the form factor by ~7%. A 7% improvement in the form factor reduces the wind drift of a 77gr SMK .224 at 600yds by 8% and reduces the wind drift of a 142gr SMK .264 at 1000yds by 11%. Trajectory is also flatter. Or so the text book says.

My questions are:
    (1) does anyone have any comments on meplat pointing? Any real world ballistic data?
    (2) does anyone have any tools to recommend for meplat pointing? Midway has a die, but it costs big bucks ($200+).

thanks for any advice.

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Your calculations are on line with what is generally accepted (around 7% increase in BC) now BC itself is a flawed concept but we're not discussig that here. It is definetely beneficial, but requires a lot of extra work and expensive gear. The Whidden (sp?) bullet pointing system is the only one I'm aware of off the top of my head.

I believe for f-class it could be useful, but it's a high cost and lot of effort involved for a relatively low benefit. It's up to the individual if it's worth it
    to them. I may look into it sometime, but so far I've been doing fine in f-class without one :D IMO a Sinclair f-class bipod is a better use of the $200. If you have $400, then get the die too I suppose :D

while better BC is nice, in the LR game, as I'm sure you know, consistency is key.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    SMKs are JHPs. Short of closing the hole, what are you actually accomplishing with this?
    The ONLY reason they're hollow points is that finishing the jacket at the nose is a better method for accuracy than closing it at the base.

The accomplishment is that by pointing the bullets, we do away with the deterministic vertical variation caused by the predictable variations in BC by bringing all the bullet points into uniform configuration. Closing the hollow point is a secondary effect and serves no purpose.

Vertical dispersion at long range is usually associated with velocity variation, often a result of poor mating of components or bad neck tension. The bullet brings it's own problems to the table. This variation is admittedly small, but as distances increase they can become critical and stack up, so we must strive to control as many variables as possible.
    ...while better BC is nice, in the LR game, as I'm sure you know, consistency is key.
    Yup, like Oliver says, the actual improvement (albeit small) to the BC is definitely a benefit, but the real benefit does lie in making them more consistent with each other.

The meplat trimmer is another approach to exactly the same issue, it just makes the BC uniformly degraded instead of uniformly improved as does the pointing tool.

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    Another simplier solution

I am all about simplifying things.

A-MAX bullets with the plastic tips. Single load them so not to damage the tips. The 80 gr bullets are great for 600yards high power competition.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I am all about simplifying things.

A-MAX bullets with the plastic tips. Single load them so not to damage the tips. The 80 gr bullets are great for 600yards high power competition.

Yes, the AMax are nice and I enjoy the 80grainer; problem is, they aren't mag length like the 77gr SMKs. Plus I don't think Hornady's AMax at .264 is all that great.

I was hoping someone had a $20 solution to the pointing issue, because I don't want to spend the $200 on the dies. ;)

Attached below is a example of the before and after. This basically works for any bullet with a meplat, which is all of the VLDs and OTMs (i.e. just about anything from Sierra, Berger, Lapau, and JLK). You do need to buy different guides for the different calibers, which adds another $50 per caliber :tdown:

Last edited:

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    From what I read on this sticky thread on the sniper's hide, the loss of BC by just trimming all of your meplats to be consistant is minimal which is offset by the improvement gained by consistancy between bullet to bullet. The tool to sharpen the meplat is very expensive and doesn't give you much benefit for the price. I found the reloading tips on this site to be very helpful.
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1699588#Post1699588

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    From what I read on this sticky thread on the sniper's hide, the loss of BC by just trimming all of your meplats to be consistant is minimal which is offset by the improvement gained by consistancy between bullet to bullet. The tool to sharpen the meplat is very expensive and doesn't give you much benefit for the price. I found the reloading tips on this site to be very helpful.
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1699588#Post1699588

Interesting comments on that link. I especially found the last post on that thread interesting, as it jives with data that I have observed: Berger and Sierra bullets show good to very good consistency, whereas the Hornady's can have a lot wider ES. I have seen that especially with the Hornady 75gr HPBT vs the Sierra 77gr SMK. I don't have any experience with the Lapua bullets, so I don't know how they compare to the Yellow, Green and Red boxes.

I will probably pass on pointing and/or trimming at this time and stick w/ Sierra and Berger bullets.

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    I have been looking at the Widden bullet pointing dies, and will probably buy one soon. My concern is, I will spend a couple of extra hours loading a cartridge that is capable of shooting a 1/4 minute, then load it in a 1/2 minute rifle.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have been looking at the Widden bullet pointing dies, and will probably buy one soon. My concern is, I will spend a couple of extra hours loading a cartridge that is capable of shooting a 1/4 minute, then load it in a 1/2 minute rifle.
    ... and then have the trigger yanked by a 5 minute shooter :lol2:

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA

Mike -
    let us know how the bullet pointing goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom