• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Here's an article from the Altoona (PA) Mirror that made me consider the SB281 mental health issues as of October 1st:

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/c...2/Judge-denies-man-gun-ownership.html?nav=742

This individual petitioned to have his mental health records expunged and had the support (via letter) from a doctor.

He was denied on the basis doing so would "give him unfettered access to guns".

Now interestingly enough, this individual has a suffiently long record of other issues that are NOT mental health based that I would assume that even in PA, would at least flag him for review, if not get him rejected outright.

I feel that not permitting his mental health records to not be expunged (since he has a doctors support) is wrong.

However, I also scratch my head about the fact he would have "unfettered access" with all of his other issues.

Discussion, opinions?

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    I grew up in Altoona PA......I defy you to find someone that DOESN'T have mental Heath issues.

I'm from the othe side of the laurel ridge (Homer City).

I've been risings the short yellow bus for years :lol2: (or so I am told)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have a problem with that guy possessing guns because of all the criminal stuff mentioned in his background, including (according to the story anyway) an assault where he pointed a Glock at a woman's head.

The mental health issues, that he was allegedly threatening suicide right after a severe head injury, spent three days in a psych ward and has been (allegedly) free of any issues since, aren't an issue in my eyes.

While frankly, after reading the article I'm glad the guy doesn't own any guns, it sounds like a case of the ends justifying the means in the judge's eyes. Sounds like they're using the MH history to take away his guns because of his other issues. That is not a good thing to start doing.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    I have a problem with that guy possessing guns because of all the criminal stuff mentioned in his background, including (according to the story anyway) an assault where he pointed a Glock at a woman's head.

The mental health issues, that he was allegedly threatening suicide right after a severe head injury, spent three days in a psych ward and has been (allegedly) free of any issues since, aren't an issue in my eyes.

While frankly, after reading the article I'm glad the guy doesn't own any guns, it sounds like a case of the ends justifying the means in the judge's eyes. Sounds like they're using the MH history to take away his guns because of his other issues. That is not a good thing to start doing.

Not advocating for him to own.

Just surprised at PSPs claim of "unfettered access" if his mental health records were expunged.

Highly agree his other issues should prevent ownership...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom