• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdgglock19

hdgglock19
    Jan 3, 2010
    havre de grace
    Any one here that can offer an opinion on preventative maintenance and regular upkeep on my truck. Not looking for a hand out just want an honest opinion. Auto mechanics don't have the best reputations but I trust this community. I'm in havre de grave harford county and would like to keep it local if possible

Sorry if this is a dupe thread. I didnt do a detailed search.

Feel free to hijack this if you would like the same services in your area

As said before I am able to pay for your services

Thanks.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    haynes manuals for the specific vehicle have preventative maintenance in the front of the books...I usually pick one up for every vehicle I own...

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    Change the oil every 3k miles if using regular oil 5k with synthetic, grease it everyother oil change, change the antifreeze every 60k miles and run regular antifreeze not the red crap. gear oil 100k miles unless your offroading alot in deep water. transmission fluid and filter around 100k miles unless your towing alot.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Change the oil every 3k miles if using regular oil 5k with synthetic, grease it everyother oil change, change the antifreeze every 60k miles and run regular antifreeze not the red crap. gear oil 100k miles unless your offroading alot in deep water. transmission fluid and filter around 100k miles unless your towing alot.

Make sure you use correct anti freeze. Even if it calls for red. A lot of problems can happen due to wrong coolant. Not all coolant is the same.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Most important thing you can do is regular oil changes. Regular oil I do 3 times every 10,000 (makes is easier to keep track of). full synthetic is recommended for my car. Manufacturer recommends 15,000 miles between changes. I do it every 7500. Car is now 10 years old with 225000+ miles.

Air filter every 10,000.

Not a big fan of ATF changes. If it's burnt, OK change it, but other wise just check the level and keep that system closed. Thsi is especially true if the car is already high mileage and has never had an ATF change. If you do feel the need to change the ATF, do NOT do one of those "Back Flush" deals. Guaranteed that transmission will fail soon after. (My car above with 225000, has never had the ATF changed.)

Coolant should be changed periodically. I do it every three-four years.

Keep you tires inflated between 32-35 psi. Per Obama, this will bring fuel prices back down below a buck a gallon...

I also am religious about rotating my tires every 5000.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Get on a forum for that specific vehicle. You'll learn TONS of information.

This is the way to go. No matter what vehicle I own, I belong to a forum with people who own like vehicles.

Besides helping with basic questions like maintenance, it also provides a good insight in problems/issues that normally arise.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have been involved in the automotive maintenance field since the early eighties.
    Allow me to dispel a myth.
    1. You don't need to change your oil every 3000 miles. check your operator's manual, you will be surprised.
    Once every 5000 miles is more than enough. If you use synthetic you can wait longer. As a matter of fact I don't change the oil filter each time I change oil.

If you are changing your oil every 3000 miles then you are wasting money.
    The evolution of oil changes all the time.

o4twinpeaks

Dec 17, 2011
    My neighbor own's the Churchville Service Center, he's a good guy that doesn't charge people for work they don't need.

I used to work for Al 25 yrs ago when he sold gas. lol Tom at that time was just his mechanic. They always were great people. Al sold out to Tom and moved to fl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom