• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    I have a safe. I am leaving town at some point. But I would like to place my weapons somewhere safe. And in light of MD's stupid laws, I can't legally drive it to one of you guys' house (whom I trust (most of you)) to hold my weapons. And I thought, what if the police dept holds them for me? I know that I could go to an FFL dealer, but they will have to sign in the weapons and may balk at doing that. And yes, all of the guns are legally owned and legit. :)

thoughts?

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Police will not hold your guns. It is your responsibility to secure them at a safe place.

just asking. I am trying to do the "right" thing.

:)

WARPIG [USMC];1673533 said:
    Horrible idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Good lord no!

These.

If you have a safe, why not just lock them up and not worry about it? If that doesn't sit well with you for whatever reason, I'd give them to a trusted friend. Your point about not being legally allowed to drive them to a friends house for safekeeping...ermm...I guess it's technically correct. But what are the police going to arrest you for? Illegally making sure your firearms are safe and secure? I think it's a stretch. But if you want to be technical about it, it says you can transport between places of residence...if that applies to you. Or, if you are a designated collector, you can take them to your friends house to "exhibit" them.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You could disassemble them, and stash the pieces seperately.

Better yet, toss a dozen tarantulas in the safe before you close it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thieves are stupid. They'll take anything vaguely firearms related , and you'll be even more po'd with a buncha guns lacking bolts. Secure the whole thing in one piece.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Even thinking about trusting the police with your guns is insanity. No reason you can't take them to a friend's house. I did the same thing when I moved. My friend held them until I got re situated.

MDphinfan02

May 12, 2012
    This forum gets more funny every day " because i cant legally drive them to a buddys house" my god what do you get pulled over everyday?!?! You let the police search your trunk every time you get pulled over?!? Cmon man this is ridiculous technically your right but cmon this is worse then the dude who had to ask about using a bb gun on birds

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    This forum gets more funny every day " because i cant legally drive them to a buddys house" my god what do you get pulled over everyday?!?! You let the police search your trunk every time you get pulled over?!? Cmon man this is ridiculous technically your right but cmon this is worse then the dude who had to ask about using a bb gun on birds

Same as I was thinking. You're not doing anything wrong, take them to your friends house. If it bothers you that much, transport via FOPA, locked up in the trunk and all.

MH

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are you a designated collector? That would solve your problem. I hardly think transporting your guns to a friends house is going to be an issue, regardless of the circumstances. If you are transporting them in a legal manner, what charge are they going to bring you up on? You would make national news. If you feel what you are doing is illegal, you can always use the 2A, 4A, and even 5A arguments.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ummm, I'm surprised this hasn't been asked..... Why in the world do you have a safe then?

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    Are you a BONA FIDE collector? That would solve your problem. I hardly think transporting your guns to a friends house is going to be an issue.

Fixed. Designated collector helps your cause but it isn't necessary to be a designated collector to be a bona fide collector.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    You could meet a friend at the range if you want to follow the letter of the law. You can transport the guns to the range legally then your friend can legally transport them home from the range. I don't think it's worth the hassle just drive them to a friends. Do you have a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your place?

I just leave them in the safe. I figure if someone gets in my place then in my locked gun room and opens my safe without my neighbor calling the cops, then they did a lot of work. Locks only keep honest people honest, but the goal is to make it not worth the guys time and energy to get the guns. If you make it hard generally the criminal will just look for an easier target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom