• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    If you take anything for pain, ADHD, anxiety, insomnia, etc. you are probably on the DHMH list. No idea if this affects your ability to get an HQL or 77r "not disapproved" but it might down the road.

"The PDMP also assists federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, health occupations licensing boards and certain DHMH agencies in the investigation of illegal CDS diversion, healthcare fraud, illegitimate professional practice and other issues."

More info:
    http://adaa.dhmh.maryland.gov/PDMP/SitePages/PDMP_FAQs.aspx

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Did you know just about every purchase (non cash) is tracked and stored in a DB somewhere, which of course means the government has access.

:tinfoil:

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Looks like LEO's will have access sometime this month. Maybe it's the tinfoil speaking, but I don't like it one bit.

I guess background checks and fingerprints will be needed for prescription drugs now. :tinfoil:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    My concern is that some nut does something stupid, and the news reports that he was diagnosed with anxiety, ADHD, etc. Now some Dudley Dooright legislator drafts legislation to ban anyone taking a scheduled drug from owning a gun.

Not that much of a leap IMO.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    From my standpoint, this gives me a woodie. I am so sick of patients getting narcotics from multiple prescribers. I just caught a patient of mine who is 63. Really nice lady. She has been getting a HUGE amount of hydrocodone from multiple prescribers. She isn't taking all of it....what do you think she does with it? She is just one of many I have found.

Most primary care docs have the same experience. The police do nothing. I am sick of prescribing to people who may someday sell those pills to your kids or mine. I love the idea of having a way to police my patients. Narcotics are not a Right. I don't think anyone but docs needs access, though.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    From my standpoint, this gives me a woodie. I am so sick of patients getting narcotics from multiple prescribers. I just caught a patient of mine who is 63. Really nice lady. She has been getting a HUGE amount of hydrocodone from multiple prescribers. She isn't taking all of it....what do you think she does with it? She is just one of many I have found.

Most primary care docs have the same experience. The police do nothing. I am sick of prescribing to people who may someday sell those pills to your kids or mine. I love the idea of having a way to police my patients. Narcotics are not a Right. I don't think anyone but docs needs access, though.

I'm sure abuse happens and people shop docs. But as with all of these types of monitoring programs, we're just one event away from having this info used against us in further suppression of our rights. That's my concern.

Edit: I certainly see the value from the clinicians perspective.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Guys, it is not just Maryland. Many states have been active on a similar program for several years now. WV for at least 5 years. Each night, my pharmacy uploads CDS data for C2 thru C5 items.

This all works hand in hand with the regs on pseudoephedrine. The PSE monitoring is real time. Processes like a credit card transaction.

MD pharmacies went live 8-20-13 for daily reporting. We were required to generate info dating back to 1-1-13.

My wish for the whole thing, in line with what teratos said - is it should all be real time and come back to the pharmacy that Mrs Jones just picked up a similar order at the big box store. Any prescriber, whether MD, DO, DDS, CRNP, PA-C, needs access along with all pharmacy operations.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

Doc as you know my wife works for a Dr. : She also says it's a good thing. She has told me many stories of patients get narcotics from many providers. You know they are selling it in many cases.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Guys, it is not just Maryland. Many states have been active on a similar program for several years now. WV for at least 5 years. Each night, my pharmacy uploads CDS data for C2 thru C5 items.

This all works hand in hand with the regs on pseudoephedrine. The PSE monitoring is real time. Processes like a credit card transaction.

MD pharmacies went live 8-20-13 for daily reporting. We were required to generate info dating back to 1-1-13.

My wish for the whole thing, in line with what teratos said - is it should all be real time and come back to the pharmacy that Mrs Jones just picked up a similar order at the big box store. Any prescriber, whether MD, DO, DDS, CRNP, PA-C, needs access along with all pharmacy operations.

I agree with you and teratos on the prescriber and dispenser having access. Not so much with the state and LEOs.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    This stuff is going to deter folks from seeking treatment. If I had a case of depression, I'd be darned if I sought help for it, for fear of disqualifying myself at some point in the future. Does anyone in Annapolis think this stuff through??

Most depression meds are non controlled and hence not reported.

If you are talking about things like alprazolam and lorazepam, those certainly are.

We should all be more concerned about what our PBM insurances are doing with our usage files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom