• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile at the OP , Md 4-203 is actually less restrictive than FOPA as regards the Methods of transport. The permitted specific destinations are the big thing.

To slightly change one of my frequent sayings :

1. There is the actual Md statute.
    2. There is what various LE Agencies recomend to do.
    3. There is what various individual LE Ofc think the law is.

4. There is what a reasonable person would recomend to do.

Not sure the situation in your area of Cali , but burglaries targeting firearms , and thefts from vehicles are big time in Md , so gun cases that don't look like gun cases , or having them camoflagued inside other coverings is a wise precaution.

Unless you have arrangements to be a guest of a member of the only private gun club , out of the open to public shooting venues within two hours of The Park , all but one offer rental handgun for nominal fee.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    burglaries targeting firearms , and thefts from vehicles are big time in Md .

Point these out, please. There are 3 or 4 thefts from people traveling indirectly home from one particular range, but no "big time" gun thefts I have ever heard of.

Keeping all valuables hidden is good and thefts in general, but you are making it sound like there is a big guns stolen from vehicles problem.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Md has major problem with thefts from vehicles generally. Sometimes initially targeted for electronics , others seeming at random on speculation. Even if initially for steros , GPS , etc , firearms would be certainly taken also as a bonus.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Md has major problem with thefts from vehicles generally. Sometimes initially targeted for electronics , others seeming at random on speculation. Even if initially for steros , GPS , etc , firearms would be certainly taken also as a bonus.

It does, but the gun thefts from cars are very few. You can count them on one hand vs probably 5 digits for electronics.

Its generally an opportunistic crime that you can easily avoid being the victim of.

mcornish86@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore County
    May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful
    purposes?
    Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA
    from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm
    under certain conditions, notwithstanding State or local law to the contrary.
    The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a
    trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and
    destination.
    [18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38]
    Here is the actual Federal law they refer to. I give all my friends and customer's a card with this printed on it to stick in with each firearm they are transporting just in case they need to educate local officials:

§ 178.38 Transportation of firearms.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political
    subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,
    or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where
    such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
    firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If your origin and destination are both in MD, the law you quoted has no bearing on transport of a firearm. MD 4-203 applies.

AG ruling attached

Attachments

• MD AG ruling FOPA.pdf
      30.2 KB · Views: 66
    • MD AG opinion on travel 4-203.pdf
      15.4 KB · Views: 56

mcornish86@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore County
    May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful
    purposes?
    Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA
    from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm
    under certain conditions, notwithstanding State or local law to the contrary.
    The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a
    trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and
    destination.
    [18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38]
    Here is the actual Federal law they refer to. I give all my friends and customer's a card with this printed on it to stick in with each firearm they are transporting just in case they need to educate local officials:

§ 178.38 Transportation of firearms.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political
    subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,
    or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where
    such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
    firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.

Alsk lookup Firearm Owners Protection Act

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Welcome!

And if you don't mind a little suggestion: Try not to leave your house with obvious gun boxes or cases--you just never know who will hear any gossip about that.

Same for when you leave the range. Check to make sure you are not being followed. It is the new favorite way for the Bad People to acquire firearms.

Which means not good to run errands on the way home where you stop and run into the dry cleaners, for instance...

you should see the looks I get in my condo complex when I'm carrying my 700 in its soft case to the car...

good advice...avoid school bus pickup times

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    How about this question. You are a legal gun owner. You are driving your car headed for the gun range and your firearm is properly stored in the trunk. You are stopped by the police for let's say speeding. At some point the officer asks if there is anything in the car he should know about. Do you have to tell him about your legal firearm in the trunk?

Jan 2, 2014
    Lexington Park, MD
    And if it's legal you say" no, there isn't." And then refuse the subsequent request to search, and proceed down the semantics trail. :(

This brings up a good question. Are you required to state you have firearms? It's not against the law to lie to a officer so long as their not a federal LE.

In Kali they passed this atrocious law we refer to as a "E Check". Basically if LE discovers you have a firearm through questioning or they see a infamous gun case you are now required by law to let the LE search the immediate area the weapon is located in and actual open the case to ensure the firearm is being properly stored (I.e. Locked case, unloaded).

So you have the 4th amendment to protect you from search and seizure however now that you have a firearm you wave that right. The name of the game in commie land is to keep your cases covered and/or discreet, and if asked about anything they need to know about always say No!

This is in Kali hopefully that's the only place in America the 4th amendment is trampled on.

Anything similar to that in the MD laws I should be aware of?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This brings up a good question. Are you required to state you have firearms? It's not against the law to lie to a officer so long as their not a federal LE.

Do you have a cite for this? I think it's against state law as well

You don't need to tell LE that you are transporting. As long as you are honest in your answers you should be ok, but IANAL

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

You don't need to tell LE that you are transporting. As long as you are honest in your answers you should be ok, but IANAL

I have nothing illegal sir. I do not consent to a search sir. Have a great day sir. The end :D

Jan 2, 2014
    Lexington Park, MD

Federal law 18 U.S.C. §1001 makes it a felony. Aka Martha Stewart

State law varies but in CA Penal Code section 148.9 covers lying only in regards to your identity. No cases have been brought on lying to an officer with regards to not disclosing info later discovered that I've found in my research. Not saying it's always a good idea to lie but legally a state LE is fair game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom