• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Hello all. I have been reading this board off and on for that last couple of years but never set up an account. For some reason I really hate coming up with a username and PW so I typically just read different forums with out posting.

I have been in the market for a new LCP or PF9 (I know two totally different guns) and have been trying to make up my mind.

I think I decided on the LCP with the lasermax laser and checked out online pricing vs several of the gun shops in my area. I have always liked A&D Gun and Pawn and even purchased two guns there. When I went to check on pricing I also asked about doing a transfer and the fees involved.

Here's what they told me and I want to know if they are telling the truth or lying to me.

- fee for the transfer plus $MSP fee (I am ok so far)
    - They said that I have to buy a lock from them and they said that legally they were not allowed to let me bring in my own (is this true?)
    - They said that they legally had to charge me sales tax on the whole transaction (is this true?)

They also said that they would have to get a shell casing because they said Buds gunshop won't include this. I have not called Bud's to inquire about this yet.

Let me know what you think.

Balzerde

Oct 21, 2011
    Walkersville, MD
    I purchased a handgun from Buds and had it shipped to an FFL in Frederick. I did have to purchase an approved lock, but was told that if I had one already, I could use it. And there was no sales tax on the order, just the gun lock. That is one of the benefits of buying it out of state. And Buds (or the manufacturer) did provide a casing. Otherwise i was advised that they would have to fire it to have one for the state.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    1. True on their transfer fee and a MSP fee.
    2. This is not the law, but it is apparently their policy. Some shops allow you to bring an approved lock. The gun must leave the shop with the lock.
    3. NO! They do not collect sales tax on an interstate sale. You may owe it to MD, but they should not collect it.

4. The shell casing is a factor of the gun manufacturer, not the wholesaler/retail seller. Bud's should forward it if the manufacturer includes a fired casing.

I'm not crazy about #2 and I hate their response on #3. I'd find a different FFL.

Unless the Bud's price is a lot lower, have you considered buying the gun in MD?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The guys at A+D are good people, but they are always going to take the most conservative approach to anything that might come back to bite them later.

As a consequence, they end up doing a lot of things that are unnecessary, like the ammo log book.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks. I like the people at A&D too which is why I have purchased two guns from them in the past. My issue is when they told me that they HAD to collect the tax and HAD to sell me the lock. If its their policy then I can live with that but don't lie to me.

I would like to purchase the gun in MD and give the money to a local shop and for $10-$20 I will absolutely do that but when you take the tax savings, lock savings (I have one already), and the savings on the gun itself I would be saving well over $50 which isn't chump change to me.

I wanted to use them but I will just have to look elsewhere.

Oh and I tried to give them a chance to get closer to total price but they wont' budge on a new gun which I can understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom