• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    So does it apply to centerfire rifles only? Thinking about getting a S&W 15-22 pistol and SBR'ing it

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Say hello to my little .22 friend

22sbr.jpg

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    Yes, Rimfire can be as short as you want.
    Won't stop the atf from disapproving your form 1. Even when you cite/quote the relevant state statute which lays it out. Didn't even bother trying to "ask the experts" or email the examiner. Stated reason was "setup violated state oal min".

Just resubmitted it as/with a spare 11.5 5.56 upper I had laying on shelf. Depending on how Im feeling I reconfigure it with .22lr setup before hitting the range.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Won't stop the atf from disapproving your form 1. Even when you cite/quote the relevant state statute which lays it out. Didn't even bother trying to "ask the experts" or email the examiner. Stated reason was "setup violated state oal min".

Just resubmitted it as/with a spare 11.5 5.56 upper I had laying on shelf. Depending on how Im feeling I reconfigure it with .22lr setup before hitting the range.

Plenty of people here have had them approved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I havent had a problem.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Jiminy Christmas, what info do you have on that upper and mag? I like it! :evilgrin3
    CMMG upper and RTB .22 10 round(or go out of town and remove pin for 25 round cap)

The upper needed a little ramp work with the dremel, but now feeds fine.
    The mags can be 'fixed' with a torx driver and pliers to pull the blocking pin(s).

:brows:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Md statute says it's a go. Just F1 it for anything else and slap a short .22 upper on it for some jolly old fun.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    CMMG upper and RTB .22 10 round(or go out of town and remove pin for 25 round cap)

The upper needed a little ramp work with the dremel, but now feeds fine.
    The mags can be 'fixed' with a torx driver and pliers to pull the blocking pin(s).

:brows:
    Oh boy.
    December has been expensive. This one needs to wait for January.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is the text guidance I was given on this forum, don't recall the source but it worked for me to get an approved less than 29" OAL rimfire SBR, in this case it was a Ruger Charger 22.

--------------------------
    The following statements or something similar, should be annotated in the correct sections on the Form 1, for rimfire SBR's less then 29 inches. There is also character limitations, so use your words carefully and be aware of which boxes can take new-lines on the online form.

4h. Additional Description:
    <trust name>, <city> <state abbreviation>
    22LR RIMFIRE CALIBER CARTRIDGE, IN ACCORDANCE WITH MD LAW. <---new-line

4i. State Why You Intend To Make Firearm.
    TO BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH MD CRIMINAL LAW ARTICLE 4-301.
    ------------------------

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here's a deal from Right To Bear:

or mix and match to build your own:

Although I think the M&P 15/22 is not a bad way to roll either.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah I thought about building one up with one of my lowers, but the S&W has some things going for it (for me)…

Since I also have a M&P 15-22 rifle, I already have 20+ standard cap mags. The mags are great, and flat out work.

A place local has the 15-22 pistol “on sale” for $450.

Last edited:

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    This is the text guidance I was given on this forum, don't recall the source but it worked for me to get an approved less than 29" OAL rimfire SBR, in this case it was a Ruger Charger 22.

--------------------------
    The following statements or something similar, should be annotated in the correct sections on the Form 1, for rimfire SBR's less then 29 inches. There is also character limitations, so use your words carefully and be aware of which boxes can take new-lines on the online form.

4h. Additional Description:
    <trust name>, <city> <state abbreviation>
    22LR RIMFIRE CALIBER CARTRIDGE, IN ACCORDANCE WITH MD LAW. <---new-line

4i. State Why You Intend To Make Firearm.
    TO BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH MD CRIMINAL LAW ARTICLE 4-301.
    ------------------------

Yup that is literally what I put on the form verbatim, having read it here from people that got theirs approved by doing so. Still got disapproved saying it would violate state law. Resubmitted it as a 11.5 5.56 the next day and that got approved 2 weeks later a few months ago.

Dont know if I got an examiner having a bad day or she just didn't know or care to check. Either way no point in arguing with a fed gov beuracrat, and from what Ive read it got approved faster than it would have taken a response from "ask the experts".

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    Yeah I thought about building one up with one of my lowers, but the S&W has some things going for it (for me)…

Since I also have a M&P 15-22 rifle, I already have 20+ standard cap mags. The mags are great, and flat out work.

A place local has the 15-22 pistol “on sale” for $450.

I've heard engraving the S&W 15/22 can be difficult/not possible since it is all polymer. If you have a bunch of 15/22 mags and a stripped lower, check out the better mag adapter. I run this with a RTB 4.5 upper and it eats remington golden bullets like candy.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've heard engraving the S&W 15/22 can be difficult/not possible since it is all polymer. If you have a bunch of 15/22 mags and a stripped lower, check out the better mag adapter. I run this with a RTB 4.5 upper and it eats remington golden bullets like candy.
    He can engrave the barrel. Perfectly legal.
    (admittedly, I am not a huge fan of M&P 15s nor their M&P 15/22s)

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Hmmm with the new brace "ruling", I guess now is as good a time to get the 15-22. I was going to do it anyway, so at least I don't have to worry about engraving

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom