• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    A relative of mine is applying to become a MD park ranger. Apparently they have to complete a pistol marksmanship practical.

I have been asked to train them but they don't know what type of pistol they will be using. Would be nice to know what type of pistol so that I can focus the training. At least weather it is SA, DAO, DA/SA, striker...

Does anyone know what pistol the MD state park rangers use?

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    :confused:Wouldnt your relative be the best one for them to ask and get an answer?

Their answer was that it has a slide, and then started talking about caliber, which doesn't really matter anyway. They don't know anything about firearms, thus them wanting to get some basic training prior to this entrance "test."

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have a good friend that's a ranger, I've sent her a message.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For many years the Rangers used stainless M92 . Haven't seen an armed Ranger since DNR Police sent to M&P .

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Oddly I was speaking with a Ranger and the Sheriff last night and talking about live fire training. The Ranger never mentioned was handgun they use.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Does it matter? Basic marksmanship is basic marksmanship. Front sight and smooth trigger.

First and foremost they need to know how to manipulate the firearm. External safety? Hammer? Action? If the pistol is SA/DA then they will need to have experience with the different trigger pull between the two, which could affect marksmanship.

I'm not looking to train them on the exact model they will be using, just one that has similar controls and action type. I have limited time, and they have limited bandwidth being new to all this, so I would like to focus a similar action to what they will be using.

Is your relative going to be a law enforcement Ranger or regular park Ranger?

Not sure. I didn't even know there was a difference.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    This is what she sent me :

No sidearm! In 2006ish all Rangers had to give up their commission or become a Nat. Resources Police officer. We now only qualify with 22s & shotguns (I have one of each) for 'wildlife management'. So we work shifts....alone...all hrs....unarmed. .. Took years but the public is finally catching on. It's only a matter of time till someone gets hurt, or worse, then we will be recommissioned! Your state govt at work saving taxpayer dollars. ... 44 minutes ago · Sent from Messenger

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom