• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Not quite as nice as last years Opening Day buck, but I wasn't passing him up :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      188.4 KB · Views: 366

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I am one of the few guys I know who didn't have a father that took them hunting. When I was a kid, dad and 3 family members took a week off of work and literally did not come home. They have a lodge that accomidates everyone and they are either in it or in the woods.

Pretty serious guys. For many reasons dad and I were able to get a farm all to ourselves so he is taking a break from his 30 year spot to hunt with me.

My dad was from Brooklyn NY. I had to learn it all on my own too.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Little slow here in Caroline County. Did see a small doe that my daughter and I just watched for about 1/2 hour probably only 25 yds away.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have seen 9 does and haven't had a good shot at any of them. Now there are over 60 turkeys around me making me crazy.

kauffjd3

Dec 1, 2014
    Mount Airy
    2 foxes and 9 doe. 6 were tiny. 2 were running and no shot, and momma got a pass. She was with the tiny ones. I am kind of second guessing my self, but oh well.

I heard about 10 shots early, and about 3-4 spread out over the past couple hours. East Frederick County. Neighbors are starting to move around outside, so taking a break for now and will go back out around 4.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thanks, guys! It was, "luck of the draw". My Opening Day firearms rule is first buck within range-goes down. It could have been a spike or fork and I would have shot it just as quickly as I did this one.

The guys down at my local butcher seem to agree with me. Old face and nice mass means this is likely an older buck and his rack is getter smaller with age.
    Plus, he was a pedophile and needed to go. He was HOT on the trail of a yearling doe. This seems to happen a lot with the late rut as most of the older does have been bred. Slim pickens for the horny boys this late in the season! ;)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I finally got the bastard that'd been tearing up all my trees in front of my house :D

Dropped him this morning at around 7:45. A 265 grain .444 Marlin practically stopped him in his tracks at about 75 yards. Man I love that rifle.

One broken browtine shy of a ten-point.

PS. Nice looking buck h2u, I hope you took him down with one of your Finns :lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_1736.jpg
      IMG_1736.jpg
      173.2 KB · Views: 266
    • IMG_6037_2.jpg
      IMG_6037_2.jpg
      88.3 KB · Views: 264

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members