• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hodgie

Jun 12, 2012
    I am going to most likely be moving to MD within the next 6 months and looking to get into the local firearms industry when I arrive. I am going over the MD state laws on firearms and have come across a few things that I could use clarification on if possible.

I found this link on the state police site, I am going to assume this is a complete list by manufacture of what is legal to sell, and purchase in the state.
    http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx

I have also read a bit about "regulated" firearms but see that they can still be owned or obtained most likely by jumping through more hoops. My question is what is on this list and what must one do?

I do see that NFA/Class III items are legal to own with the proper federal tax stamp so that being said why the hell is anything restricted or illegal to own.

Thanks
    Hodgie

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Do yourself a favor and don't try to make this a rational discussion. It will go a lot better for you.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    In short...

Maryland firearms laws are designed to be as cumbersome as possible, limiting the ownership and use to only those willing to endure the restric... sorry, I meant cautionary and sensible limits... the state has so graciously provided us.

Ignore the pain. Just relax and let it happen. It'll be better that way.

Hodgie

Jun 12, 2012
    Well I have dealt with NJ and some other PITA places before so I am used to idiot things and restrictions however it was way more cut and dry then MD appears to be.

Being that I want to be in the firearms business in MD I have to undertake these daunting tasks, but from my search results I see that there is no clear cut understanding of the laws of the land.

Hodgie

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Then there is the concept of moving to Md on purpose to start a firearms business. Md makes it very unfriendly to startup a freestanding business requiring a *Regulated Weapons Dealer* liscence. Unless your business is srtictly involving parts and accesories, it would be much easier on yourself to setup shop accros the border in any of our neighboring States.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Then there is the concept of moving to Md on purpose to start a firearms business. Md makes it very unfriendly to startup a freestanding business requiring a *Regulated Weapons Dealer* liscence. Unless your business is srtictly involving parts and accesories, it would be much easier on yourself to setup shop accros the border in any of our neighboring States.

Agree 100%

Hodgie

Jun 12, 2012

Nothing worth doing is ever easy.
    I see a good amount of shops in the more urban areas selling "regulated weapons" so it's possible, like everything else there is just a few more hoops to jump through and more pockets to fill, like they say the grass is always greener somewhere else, until you get there.

Hodgie

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy.
    I see a good amount of shops in the more urban areas selling "regulated weapons" so it's possible, like everything else there is just a few more hoops to jump through and more pockets to fill, like they say the grass is always greener somewhere else, until you get there.

Hodgie

Often, the green grass in MD is because of, umm, lots of 'fertilizer'... Especially the closer we get to Annapolis.

:lol2:

Not discouraging you at all... we need all the good shops we can get.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OP, why on earth would you want to move to Maryland and open a firearm related business? Set up shop in either VA, PA, DE, or WV, whichever is closer to where you are moving in MD. The restrictions and laws in MD drive me crazy and I live here.

Hodgie

Jun 12, 2012
    OP, why on earth would you want to move to Maryland and open a firearm related business? Set up shop in either VA, PA, DE, or WV, whichever is closer to where you are moving in MD. The restrictions and laws in MD drive me crazy and I live here.

I have other interests in MD, so while I am here I would like to make a living.
    As far as VA and PA depending on the area the is a Firearm for every square Mile. If you are going to invest then do it in a place where you can make a return on that investment. As far as the law's I spent the day on the phone with msp and a long time established shop owner in MD who we would be 0 competition for due to his demographic and to be honest other then annoying there is virtually nothing that is all the hindering.

I hate idiot laws just as much as the next guy epically when it comes to firearms, however MD has very little restrictions compared to what I am used to dealing with so it's a step up for me.

Hodgie

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    As far as VA and PA depending on the area the is a Firearm for every square Mile. If you are going to invest then do it in a place where you can make a return on that investment. As far as the law's I spent the day on the phone with msp and a long time established shop owner in MD who we would be 0 competition for due to his demographic and to be honest other then annoying there is virtually nothing that is all the hindering.

I hate idiot laws just as much as the next guy epically when it comes to firearms, however MD has very little restrictions compared to what I am used to dealing with so it's a step up for me.

Hodgie

MD is not as bad as NJ, yet. Then again, even NY state isn't as bad as Jersey. Beware that our local anti-gun politicians do have serious plans to go for all the cookies in the 2013 legislative session (Jan-Apr). Some people on the Montgomery County delegation and their "friends" want New Jersey style gun control here, and they already have one task force started to that ends. Maryland is also the home of the Joyce Foundation-funded Gun Policy Institute at Johns Hopkins, and they just seem to get all goo-goo eyed and start having wet dreams there whenever New Jersey's gun control laws are mentioned.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Hodgie

I keep forgetting that there are other states with harsher GC laws than Maryland. Must be the smell of the mountains that is turning my brain to mush. :D

Welcome to Maryland. Where are you thinking of opening up the business?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom