• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sep 22, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Yesterday, 10/29/13 I got live scanned and completed my application with the PCN and submitted a copy of my hunters safety card. Even though I know I didn't need the card because of being a previous handgun owner I figured it may expedite the process for MSP. Well I logged into the application page today, 10/30/13 and my status was already updated to "active". Meaning it's been approved and will arrive to me in 14 days or less.

I was very surprised by MSPs fast turn around in less than 24 hrs for approval! I really felt like this process would be drawn out and delayed but it was not. Hats off to MSP for the speedy turn around time on these licenses and if anyone else is holding out for fear of delay, have no fears.

Incase anyone is looking for the company I used, I went to Absolute Investigative Services on E Joppa Rd in Towson and those guys were great, retired dispatchers, fire and police guys. I was in and out in 10min!

Good luck to everyone else doing their HQLs hope this helps clear any questions up for turn around/wait time.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Yesterday, 10/29/13 I got live scanned and completed my application with the PCN and submitted a copy of my hunters safety card. Even though I know I didn't need the card because of being a previous handgun owner I figured it may expedite the process for MSP. Well I logged into the application page today, 10/30/13 and my status was already updated to "active". Meaning it's been approved and will arrive to me in 14 days or less.

I was very surprised by MSPs fast turn around in less than 24 hrs for approval! I really felt like this process would be drawn out and delayed but it was not. Hats off to MSP for the speedy turn around time on these licenses and if anyone else is holding out for fear of delay, have no fears.

Incase anyone is looking for the company I used, I went to Absolute Investigative Services on E Joppa Rd in Towson and those guys were great, retired dispatchers, fire and police guys. I was in and out in 10min!

Good luck to everyone else doing their HQLs hope this helps clear any questions up for turn around/wait time.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a phone # for them and how much did they charge?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I used Absolute Investigative Services to do all my printing for my NFA paperwork back in September, and used the same Livescan # when doing HQL stuff online this weekend. I went "active" on Tuesday.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I went to absolute yesterday. Do we have to mail the livescan confirmation to the MSP, or not? Earlier threads on the hql said we did, if you read the instructions carefully, they say you don't. You could not have been approved in one day if we have to mail in a hard copy.

I was going to call MSP today but if anyone knows, that would be great.

Thanks

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I got fingerprinted at Frederick sheriff's office on Tuesday, submitted my hql app Tuesday afternoon. 3 things still pending on mine, but it's moving along.

not happy about having to get it, but refuse to let this state trample my rights any more than they already have. contemplating a move to W. VA.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I went to absolute yesterday. Do we have to mail the livescan confirmation to the MSP, or not? Earlier threads on the hql said we did, if you read the instructions carefully, they say you don't. You could not have been approved in one day if we have to mail in a hard copy.

Thanks

When you apply on-line you will need to supply the receipt number.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I got fingerprinted at Frederick sheriff's office on Tuesday, submitted my hql app Tuesday afternoon. 3 things still pending on mine, but it's moving along.

not happy about having to get it, but refuse to let this state trample my rights any more than they already have. contemplating a move to W. VA.

zero action on mine yesterday, seems to be stuck in progress waiting on the same 3 items, one of which is the MVA pic.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008

I submitted mine today - we'll see if it goes as well as yours. Only I didn't submit a copy of the Hunter Safety. I guess they have it on record, and again, will find out if that is not sufficient. Owning a firearm should mean I don't need the hunter safety training recorded anyway.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008

Thanks

Was told they electronically forward the prints to the MSP.

-Tom-

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I submitted mine today - we'll see if it goes as well as yours. Only I didn't submit a copy of the Hunter Safety. I guess they have it on record, and again, will find out if that is not sufficient. Owning a firearm should mean I don't need the hunter safety training recorded anyway.

You have to have owned a REGULATED firearm. And you would have needed to fill out the exempt from training form, giving the firearm information (Make, Model, Serial Number).

And if you did that, there is no reason to mention the hunter safety course.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    You have to have owned a REGULATED firearm. And you would have needed to fill out the exempt from training form, giving the firearm information (Make, Model, Serial Number).

And if you did that, there is no reason to mention the hunter safety course.

Well, I did both. And frankly I was amazed that within 2 hours of starting the entire process (fingerprints and all) the checklist showed only two items remaining: The MVA photo and DHMH check.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Well, I did both. And frankly I was amazed that within 2 hours of starting the entire process (fingerprints and all) the checklist showed only two items remaining: The MVA photo and DHMH check.

What number series is your HQL?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    What number do I need to get from the Sherriff's office when I get fingerprinted for my HQL to enter on the website? Heard some folks were given the wrong number (i.e.reciept number versus transaction number).

Thanks,

Dave

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    Will have to let you know once approved. Still showing the same two items not completed in the checklist.

Well I applied on the 7th and all but two items were completed within about 2 hours.

The MVA photo took until yesterday and approval today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom