• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Well you are either deaf, or the speakers on your B.S. meter are broken. The question was asked, I felt it was necessary to post it. If you don't believe it thats up to you, but thanks for calling me a liar! It's funny though, I remember only two people in the room during my CCW interview. Me and the Trooper. I didn't see a third person in the room so how can you even call B.S. on something you do not know.

He was calling BS on the cop asking that (as in, that was a bull-shit question).

I called the MSP and had them bump you up a few numbers on the 1 to 10 scale.

:lol2:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Well you are either deaf, or the speakers on your B.S. meter are broken. The question was asked, I felt it was necessary to post it. If you don't believe it thats up to you, but thanks for calling me a liar! It's funny though, I remember only two people in the room during my CCW interview. Me and the Trooper. I didn't see a third person in the room so how can you even call B.S. on something you do not know.

As mr h noted, I was calling out the ridiculously intrusive questions asked by the MDSP, and not questioning what you wrote.

NOTHING the MDSP asks would surprise me at this point.

Welcome aboard crj200! :thumbsup:

Relax fellas, eruby did not mean that the way it was taken. I understood what he meant. The MSP process is just getting to us because it seems they are over stepping their bounds more and more every day. We are all on the same side here rooting for each other. And believe me when I tell you when typing these posts, it is VERY easy to be misunderstood. I have put my foot in my mouth so many times I'm starting to develop athletes lips.

Last edited:

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    I recall reading that one interviewer asked about contacting a former wife.

These sorts of fishing expeditions are worse than useless in investigating "propensity for violence".

The investigations are entirely subjective, open ended, arbitrary, not subject to review or oversight, and they are being conducted by persons untrained and not competent.

Do these interviewers have credentials in Psychology, Social Work, or Couples Therapy? Are they qualified or competent to render an official opinion on medical or psychiatric questions?

This entire subjective process has to go.

Unfortunately, I cannot see how it will stop until someone gets denied because of what an former spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend said and then sues. The other way would be if someone declines to provide the requested information and is denied and sues.

Either way someone will have to be a test case and it will be several years before that person receives their permit, if ever.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Unfortunately, I cannot see how it will stop until someone gets denied because of what an former spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend said and then sues. The other way would be if someone declines to provide the requested information and is denied and sues.

Either way someone will have to be a test case and it will be several years before that person receives their permit, if ever.

Unfortunate we are at their mercy. And it all depends on the investigator and how reasonable they are. Say they ask to talk to an ex-wife. So they call the ex and she tells a story about how crazy you are. A good investigate will not just take what she has to say without also checking with others that can also back her claims.

If she/he tells about something you did, I would hope the investigator would also ask he/her to give names of others that can also back up what he/she said about you. Also the investigator is always looking for motivation of why any given person is telling them whatever.

Now clearley we want a ccw, so they know that we will do our best to only offer info that will not hurt our chances. The ccw is our motivation. When talking to the ex, the investigators try's to figure out the reasons they are being told whatever they are being told. So if the ex is reporting your a nut, the investigator will try to ask question in a way to find out if your really a nut or the ex is just trying to burn you still to this day.

And that is assuming he/she sounds credible as they tell the story and the investigator can't see he/she is making it up as they go. When questions are asked, they are not only looking for the answer, but they also look and listen how anyone give the answer. A good investigator will always have their BS hat on and what they are always doing is reading between the lines.

So if any of us were really a half of a nut in the past, we would have something to worry about when they want to talk to people in our past. If you were never a nut in the past and have nothing to hide, you don't have as much to worry about as you think.

At the end of the day it's like what my Grandmother would tell me when I was growing up. She would say "if you lay with dogs, you may get fleas".

Through life, and like it or not, we are judged by the people we associate with. So if you the normal guy or gal, but have a string of crazy ex's or others we hung with growing up, our judgment can be questioned if not our reputation be tarnished.

It goes without saying that there are people that are good guys and gals with crazy ex's in their past where we may not want the MSP talking to because they will just say things that are not true.

But I'm sure there are also members here that do not want the MSP talking to their ex's because the ex's have allot of very true stories about how crazy they are and were, and that just maybe they should not have a ccw.

The MSP also know this.

Just MHO.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Remember, if someone in you past tells the MSP something that may stop you from getting your ccw, You will not have a case against the MSP. You case will be against who said whatever about you. And that's only if what they said was not true. If what they said about you is true, you don't have a leg to stand on.

keith7825

MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2009
    Parkville
    had my interview today (pikesville). no problems at all we were on the same page about people with no training, no guns and a ccw . i was told 90 working days. my app. date 3/10 so i'm looking at 7/13.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If asked anything about an ex, tell them you don't know where they are or how to contact them, unless you actually still communicate. Let MSP do the work. Again, don't offer extra information if you don't need to, especially if it could be used as a reason to deny.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Interview tomorrow

Have my interview tomorrow morning in Frederick.

App received on 3/21; check cashed 3/23

References called 5/8

Interview 5/15

Permit received?????

Last edited:

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    OK please fill me in here because I missed something in this thread regarding the 90 days. Is it 90 days from the time of your oral interview in person? After 90 days what is the course of action? I have only received a phone call interview still to this date and that was in April. Should I be looking into why I haven't had one schedule yet?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I believe it was decided it is 90 working days from when MSP receives your application. After that appeal to Permit Review Board.

I'm sure I'll get corrected if it's wrong

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    OK please fill me in here because I missed something in this thread regarding the 90 days. Is it 90 days from the time of your oral interview in person? After 90 days what is the course of action? I have only received a phone call interview still to this date and that was in April. Should I be looking into why I haven't had one schedule yet?

Did the trooper say the phone call was for sure an interview?

Others on the board have said that they got phone interviews only, just checking.

The 90 days starts from when your application is received.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Have my interview tomorrow morning in Frederick.

App received on 3/31; check cashed 3/23

References called 5/8

Interview 5/15

Permit received?????

Wow they work fast.... Cashed your check before they even received it.:D

90 business days is what I am going by BUT for now I would not worry about it until we have a decision on the stay in our favor. They can deny them now if they want so don't worry about hounding them about it yet.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    had my interview today (pikesville). no problems at all we were on the same page about people with no training, no guns and a ccw . i was told 90 working days. my app. date 3/10 so i'm looking at 7/13.

I'm following these discussions with a little trepidation.

As my interviewer was unavailable/delayed, I "interviewed" with another trooper. He verified the info, verified "self defense" without a "G&S" reason and got my wife's cell phone number. We were done in under 5 minutes.

No questions on training or other qualifications, no questions in gun ownership or knowledge of MD laws.

On the other hand, I met all the qualifications in place at the time; no alcohol/drug issues and no tendency to violence.

We'll see.

Freedom

Aug 15, 2011
    All references contacted, 05/14/2012, which was the last step in the investigative part of the process. Application filed on 03/08/2012.

Tellingly, I received my Florida CWL last week, 30 days after sending in the application. No one from Florida called my wife and asked if I was mentally unstable, violent or abusive. No one from Florida called my references and asked if they were afraid of me being armed, if I was a drunk or prone to anger.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    90 business days is what I am going by BUT for now I would not worry about it until we have a decision on the stay in our favor. They can deny them now if they want so don't worry about hounding them about it yet.

Thank you, that's what I figured just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something

He verified the info, verified "self defense" without a "G&S" reason and got my wife's cell phone number. We were done in under 5 minutes.

No questions on training or other qualifications, no questions in gun ownership or knowledge of MD laws.

On the other hand, I met all the qualifications in place at the time; no alcohol/drug issues and no tendency to violence.

We'll see.

This is the same for me, just wondering why some have received calls via phone and asked question while others have had face to face interviews with MSP. I was never asked about what gun I intend to carry or about any training, I was only asked the basic questions, my wife and place of employment were contacted also. Wonder why different Barracks are asking different questions?

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Wonder why different Barracks are asking different questions?

Because they can. Some of the troopers "may" be trying to see if they can "uncover" something that the CJIS check doesn't. I have been thinking about the employer thing, that just doesn't compute unless you are applying on behalf of your job. Seems to me if an employer re-acted in a negative way, that might be used for grounds to deny, in other words fishing----

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I'm following these discussions with a little trepidation.

As my interviewer was unavailable/delayed, I "interviewed" with another trooper. He verified the info, verified "self defense" without a "G&S" reason and got my wife's cell phone number. We were done in under 5 minutes.

We'll see.

Not to worry.

They're making it all up as they go, anyway. There will be direction from the Court at some point, and they won't have any option.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My interview.

Had my FTF interview today at the Frederick Barracks with Trooper L. Went very well. Trooper L. was a very nice guy, very personable. We chatted and made sure all the Ts were crossed. Same standard questions. They want the serial numbers of your handguns to do a check to made sure that the guns were not involved in any crime. Anything purchased prior to 1996, he said, isn't in their database, unless it was registered voluntarily. One of my handguns was purchased in the 80s. He liked my training and noted that some people he had interviewed had no training at all, which he found disquieting even if it is not required. He talked to my EX, my employer and all my references, who all confirmed that I'm a great guy. :) In an event, he is not the decision-maker and he suggested that it could take up to 2 months from now to actually get a decision. We shall see (I know, I say that a lot). My suggestion is NOT to go to these interviews in a combative or confrontational manner. These Troopers are just doing their jobs. They are writing up their reports, you want to to say nice things about you. Be nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom