• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    They will spend a month calling all the employers I put on page 10(I think), I work construction and there years I might work for several different contractors, and my bosses do the same. I'm sure that a few of them from the 5year ago period have moved to different contractors a few times.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Guy, I think most of us agree with you that it should be limited to the HR validation question.

However, it does not appear that MSP is taking that route. There has been at least one other poster in the thread who stated that his boss called and told him what the MSP wanted to know, which included being asked if the boss thought the employee should be allowed to have one.

Okay, put that way it makes sense. IMO the MSP is playing with a class action lawsuit.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    lx1x,I was referring to the medical part only as per rmsand's post.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

but if he was complaining about medical records being private.. (hence i replied). applying for permit seems more access are given to them. how deep they would snoop.. i dont know.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    They will spend a month calling all the employers I put on page 10(I think), I work construction and there years I might work for several different contractors, and my bosses do the same. I'm sure that a few of them from the 5year ago period have moved to different contractors a few times.

:lol: was wondering about that.. myself.

been working where im at for 16+ years.. all in all.. 3 companies total since i graduated from HS.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Kinda seems like they are of the mind " hey, if we call their boss, the word will get out before long and it will change some peoples minds about putting in an application. ".

I will freely admit that it would have changed my mind about applying. Unfortunately, it is too late, as the application is in the FedEx system now and will arrive on Monday. Discussing this with the wife, I can deal with easily. Discussing this with my boss is intrusive, unnecessary, and potentially career limiting.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    :lol: was wondering about that.. myself.

been working where im at for 16+ years.. all in all.. 3 companies total since i graduated from HS.
    When I sat down to fill the application out I was scrambling for pay stubs hoping I wouldn't overlook any for the past 5 years, what a PITA that was. I just got a call today to go back to work pretty soon, so I guess if I get the "call", I'll give them his name and number since I've worked for him before.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I will freely admit that it would have changed my mind about applying. Unfortunately, it is too late, as the application is in the FedEx system now and will arrive on Monday. Discussing this with the wife, I can deal with easily. Discussing this with my boss is intrusive, unnecessary, and potentially career limiting.

In my case, it doesn't make a difference. I'm the office's designated gun nut :D

If you lose employment over this, the state should pay you handsomely.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    It is NO business of my boss if I do or do not have a permit.ibang1!

Agreed!

They called my work and verified that I work there, AND then asked my boss if I was a responsible person and should be able to have a gun permit. I do not know why they need to ask additional questions other than does (NAME) work for you? -- Thoughts?

That is some BS right there.

Maybe because your boss spends alot of time around you and might see you in a different light. (You in a general sense)Pure speculation on my part.

My "boss" doesn't spend much time around me, probably does see me in a different light (I'm stuck with so and so up there in the xx dept.), and would love (IMHO) to screw me out of anything and everything I could ever want.

they are asking the additional questions in order to embarrass applicants in front of their employers...
    Frankly, it is not germane to my employment and it not a subject that my boss should even need to be made aware of...

QFT!

It was just an awkward conversation to have with my boss. I should not have to explain my reasoning to her other than it is my 2A Right.

We shouldn't have to apply for our 2A right at all!

they want to make sure you are not a dangerous lunatic

What if my boss just THINKS I'm a dangerous lunatic?

My boss will likely respond in a similar fashion... Too late now - here's hoping that it does not cause employment issues...

I hope things work out for you.

In my case, it doesn't make a difference. I'm the office's designated gun nut :D

If you lose employment over this, the state should pay you handsomely.

My colleagues know I have "ah gun" but not that I have enough guns to necessitate "ah gun rack".

victorshiflett

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 11, 2012
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Try as I may, I see no mention of a requirement to be employed in the text or meaning of the 2nd amendment. Nor does it say enjoy this right as long as you provide employment or personal references.

victorshiflett

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 11, 2012
    The way I really see this issue is that the 2nd amendment extends beyond the home as Judge Legg said. A permit to exercise a right is in itself unconstitutional. A permit to carry concealed is an end run around the constitution. We should be fighting for open carry. No "permit" is needed for this.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The way I really see this issue is that the 2nd amendment extends beyond the home as Judge Legg said. A permit to exercise a right is in itself unconstitutional. A permit to carry concealed is an end run around the constitution. We should be fighting for open carry. No "permit" is needed for this.

I believe some of our MSI members have already commented on this item in several other threads - this one is about the permit interviews themselves, not a general Constitutional Carry debate.

That being said, the general response from MSI is, to paraphrase significantly, "baby steps". Fix the unconstitutional G&S requirement, then work on Constitutional Carry. There is no way that some of the state/local authorities will make the jump from heavily regulated to completely Constitutional Carry directly.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    For those of you that might be worried about what your boss may say, maybe talk to them in advance. Explain it, in my case, my GF and I like to walk our dog at the park and I would feel more safe being able to defend myself and my loved ones. I travel alot on my ADV motorcycle and would like to be able to defend myself when I am out in the back country if need be, i.e. self defense and all lawful purposes.

If your boss doesn't like you, well I guess it doesn't matter. I just talked to my boss and gave him a heads up and he was cool about it, but then again, he is not a liberal anti everything freak.

If they do call your boss, document (write/log it down date and time and what was said if the boss will tell you), and if your boss makes ANY negative comments to you or them, document that. It is not against the law for you to apply for a permit the state offers and if someone has an idealogical difference of opinion about the subject and uses that against you, that is a law suit waiting to happen. Okay, it still may cause issues, but my point is you have recourse. Documentation with date, time and whom said what is your best start, from my experience if you get treated negatively over these kind of situations.

They are fishing and looking for anything they can use to deny your permit.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Try as I may, I see no mention of a requirement to be employed in the text or meaning of the 2nd amendment. Nor does it say enjoy this right as long as you provide employment or personal references.

I'm self employed so it doesn't matter to me either way.

Are unemployed (lay-off,waiting for next bid,disabled,etc.) not allowed the same rights ?:sad20:

victorshiflett

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 11, 2012
    I'm self employed so it doesn't matter to me either way.

Are unemployed (lay-off,waiting for next bid,disabled,etc.) not allowed the same rights ?:sad20:

Exactly! I am out all day everyday looking for employment in all areas of the city and county. 14th amendment says I get equal protection.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    I guess you didn't see the questions above my posts where it was mentioned that an interviewer asked a question waasked about employment and spoke to their boss about fitness to carry a gun. So thanks for telling only me to limit my posts to questions asked. Secondly, I don't baby step around my rights. I vigorously protect them.

Vigorously protecting our rights would have prevented this in the first place. This has been going on long before I or most have been able to have a say in it. Since it is already in place, we have to take baby steps. If you eat a steak one bite at a time, you're gonna finish it. Try and swallow it whole, you may actually get it, but you're probably gonna end up dead in the water and not have eaten any of it.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Ah well. Enough fun for now - off to talk to the wife and make an appointment with the boss, since both of them need to be made aware of the interview so that it does not hit them out of the blue. Hopefully, the fireworks will be minimal.

Thanks to all that have posted the questions they have received, or heard about from others! This has been very helpful information!

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Sorry, I was rushing to type to pick up my son from school.

Social and Drivers license was to make sure the officer was talking with the right person. That was the only way he could verify who I was over the phone.

Since giving a SS# is optional, what if you didn't put it on the app? Guess they'd confirm your address instead?

This question seems really invasive - there are many, many reasons to see a psychiatrist, but I suspect that answering "yes" might hurt someones chances for approval. My medical history is PRIVATE!

I would think if you said yes, then they would need to determine if it was a voluntary or involuntary visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom