• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cdpuser

Dec 24, 2012
    Are there any disadvantages to getting a CCW permit in MD? I have been told by a state police friend that I qualify without question ... all I have to do is submit the proper paperwork, etc.

But I also remember some lib organization once got ahold of the CCW permit holders in some other state and made their names and addresses public.

Are there other risks to having a CCW permit in MD that I do not know about?

I will freely admit to a certain level of paranoia due to this POTUS ... his executive orders coming could entail anything.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Are there any disadvantages to getting a CCW permit in MD? I have been told by a state police friend that I qualify without question ... all I have to do is submit the proper paperwork, etc.

But I also remember some lib organization once got ahold of the CCW permit holders in some other state and made their names and addresses public.

Are there other risks to having a CCW permit in MD that I do not know about?

I will freely admit to a certain level of paranoia due to this POTUS ... his executive orders coming could entail anything.

MD passed a law that your info cannot be given out if you have a permit. If you qualify and want one, apply. There are plenty people here, including myself, who can help you. Jack McCauley would be the person I would speak to.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Get started ASAP.

It is not a quick process. Mine took a full 90 days from the receipt of the application at the handgun licensing unit.

I think the fastest part was the 16 hour training since I am a noob for CCW.

Use the extra 88 days to practice for when you get your card in the mail.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Get started ASAP.

It is not a quick process. Mine took a full 90 days from the receipt of the application at the handgun licensing unit.

I think the fastest part was the 16 hour training since I am a noob for CCW.

Use the extra 88 days to practice for when you get your card in the mail.

You are allowed to practice after the card arrives as well.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    All,

Is the new HQL required? ...

Interesting question....

NO. If you currently own a handgun (legally in MD) you may use it to qualify during the Carry Permit live fire training. Once you get your permit you simply apply online for the HQL and they send it to you free.

Dumb.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Also as I have just learned from a friend from Annapolis PD who spoke to Sgt.Knobbs of MSP permit division. Md permit holders can carry open or concealed. There is no statute that states your firearm must be concealed. Also it is not a CCW permit it is a permit to carry a handgun. I was under the impression it must be concealed also. Not true.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Also as I have just learned from a friend from Annapolis PD who spoke to Sgt.Knobbs of MSP permit division. Md permit holders can carry open or concealed. There is no statute that states your firearm must be concealed. Also it is not a CCW permit it is a permit to carry a handgun. I was under the impression it must be concealed also. Not true.
    While this is true I would not suggest that you open carry. I am pretty certain it wouldn't end well in MD.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    I totally agree and don't intend to. But it goes back to an earlier post of mine. I posed the question about a guy in a bank open carrying and I thought the law was CCW. I have since posted the ? To 4 LEO and gotten different responses one of whom was an MSP commander who said concealed only. If the officers don't know the law I'm not taking that chance.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I totally agree and don't intend to. But it goes back to an earlier post of mine. I posed the question about a guy in a bank open carrying and I thought the law was CCW. I have since posted the ? To 4 LEO and gotten different responses one of whom was an MSP commander who said concealed only. If the officers don't know the law I'm not taking that chance.

Trust me, they are not to be trusted (msp). They can't even get their stories straight on vehicle tint laws :rolleyes:

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    ...But I also remember some lib organization once got ahold of the CCW permit holders in some other state and made their names and addresses public...

While the privacy issue has already been covered, consider this.

Criminals are typically not the smartest groups of people. HOWEVER, they DO typically go where the fish are biting. ;) How many other clues do you unknowingly give that there are firearms in your home? NRA, gun club, or other organization stickers on your car? A duck boat in the driveway? Camo or orange clothing plainly visible? Give this some thought. They do!

As to the fear of being outed, what's to fear? What that actually does is tell them you not only have guns, you carry one and are prepared to use it in defense! Not really a bad thing as I see it. :innocent0

For years I've advised folks that the best deterrent to a burglary is a barking dog. Criminals fear dogs more than they do the police... unless it's a cop with a dog! A big dog is better than a little one but even a little one barks. There are exceptions to every generalization, but we still bet the odds. :D

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    If you decide to apply, and I hope you do, I'd advise going into the process with monk-like patience and an expectation of failure. You will probably exit the process without a permit but you will gain an appreciation for government bureaucracy and politics.

The system will change with time but the more people that expose shortcomings the better.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Only downsides IMO are the cost and the fear that you may be denied by MSP. If you're fine with that then go ahead and get the ball rolling. The timeline for me was close to 6 months. I had to find a course and the earliest date was almost 8 weeks away. Add to that the time it takes to prepare the paperwork, get fingerprinted, submit the app and wait your 90 days for approval.

Just FYI, I used Terry (screen name here is 3rdRcn) for the training which covered MD Wear and Carry and HQL. Two day course with two add'l instructors and a LAWYER which I found to be very helpful. Also the traning was held at a gun club with a range so there were no add'l fees for range usage as is with other courses. I also used Live Scan in Glen Burnie for fingerprints and background check and had no hiccups whatsoever.

I could care less if the world knows I have a permit. There are more than a few people who subscribe to the thought that those who have a permit should keep it a big secret. I'm not one of them. Not to brag but rather spread the word about our rights. I'm amazed at how many people don't even know that you can obtain a CCW. There's a good number of colelagues of mine who learned about my permit and jumped on the bandwagon. They are now stronger 2A supporters, carry everday, support local businesses, attend hearings and 2A Tuesday in Annapolis and are a few more voices in the crowd. All good things for the gun community if you ask me.

Hope this helps. Good luck and carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom