• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smay999

Aug 24, 2009
    In a recent legislative session, Delegate Mike Smigiel, Sr. proposed HB52 --which would have provided reciprocity with surrounding States. It came close to making it out of the back room, but no brass ring. He'll try again.

And of course, we all know about efforts to reform Maryland's requirement of a presumption of threat before granting a Carry permit... But I was just thinking out loud whether there might be some other, more creative approaches?

In this day of economic declines and municipal budget woes -- considering the ever-looming threat of domestic terrorism... Is it worth reconsidering something like deputizing citizens as sort of unpaid voluntary auxiliary police force?

Not "militia" -- that's taken on too many bad connotations. Here's a situation where a citizen voluntarily takes on the expense of Police-approved (perhaps even supervised) training, buys his/her own weapon, receives no pay from the State, gets a carry permit and makes himself/herself available for community policing in times of declared emergency.

What kind of emergency?

Maybe the cops aren't getting paid and don't show up for work... Who knows? Terrorism. Invasion by Mexican drug armies. Yellowstone blows up. Whatever...

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I've always thought it would be fun to show up with "documented proof" like all the terrorist groups that want me dead, the religious fanatics praying for God's vengence etc.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Though shall issue CCW is our holy grail, I really think that we need to think along "baby steps" to get to that point quicker and easier.

For instance, let's work on the waiting period. If it's to allow mail time as it was written, then it's unnesessary. If it's a "cooling off" period, then it shouldn't apply to subsequent purchases, only the first. The fired case law has been completely ineffective and expensive, let's do away with it. If it is to retrieve ejected cases at the scene of a crime, then why apply it to revolvers? Let's get the transport laws clarified, along with the loaded mag rule. Reciprocity is another step in the right direction that may slip in without much notice, maybe.

I really think that we would be more effective to work on these "smaller" issues first, and then ease into shall issue. The anti-gunners are doing that to us, by trying to slowly chip away at our rights without being noticed. Let's do it right back.

MH

smay999

Aug 24, 2009
    Though shall issue CCW is our holy grail, I really think that we need to think along "baby steps" to get to that point quicker and easier.

For instance, let's work on the waiting period. If it's to allow mail time as it was written, then it's unnesessary. If it's a "cooling off" period, then it shouldn't apply to subsequent purchases, only the first. The fired case law has been completely ineffective and expensive, let's do away with it. If it is to retrieve ejected cases at the scene of a crime, then why apply it to revolvers? Let's get the transport laws clarified, along with the loaded mag rule. Reciprocity is another step in the right direction that may slip in without much notice, maybe.

I really think that we would be more effective to work on these "smaller" issues first, and then ease into shall issue. The anti-gunners are doing that to us, by trying to slowly chip away at our rights without being noticed. Let's do it right back.

MH

Zombies aside, I FULLY AGREE.

We need to play this smartly. Our opponents are. Let's not allow ourselves to be outplayed.

Often, the legislature is just playing games. A LOUD special interest group makes a stink about guns. So, a political will toss them a frivolous anti-gun law (like shell casings). That group is placated. [In objective reality, of course -- it does absolutely nothing to fight crime -- may even help criminals.]

It's all a game. Let's play it well. ("This ain't about fair!")

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I would think the spend shell casing would be the easiest thign to do first seeing as how it's never once solved a crime and it's literally costs millions of dollars. Considering all the money problems MD has the money thing would probably be the way to approach that.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    The spent shell casing thing is to track a gun back to the purchaser, or registered owner in the event that the pistol was used in a crime. We all know that so far this has done nothing to solve any crime and has only caused a back log for MSP, as well as use millions of tax payer's money. My understanding of this law is that if your pistol is stolen and you file a police report, you are still responsable if it is used in a crime. That is total BS in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom