• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

Highlights;

"Some parents think the answer to curbing student substance use is for the Police Department to put school resource officers, or SROs, back into schools.

At the start of the 2020-21 school year, the county replaced SROs with a new safety model using community engagement officers, or CEOs. Currently, CEOs are stationed in strategic geographic areas near schools so that they’re poised to respond to campus incidents as necessary.

Christine Deerin, mother of a B-CC sophomore, told MoCo360 she believes SROs need to be reinstated."

That one needs re-education!

"Jawando told MoCo360 that he doesn’t believe SROs would solve safety issues or student substance use. Instead, he said MCPS needs to embrace a more “integrated approach” by focusing on increasing mental health resources and accessibility to support.

“When you have the right set of social supports, it reduces antisocial behavior,” he said."

Anything but 1 Mommy and 1 Daddy, eh 'Wando?

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Substance abuse is pervasive and tolerated in MCPS schools. Incidents are downplayed or go totally unreported. Both of my daughters attend Poolesville. They tell me all the time that kids are smoking weed, have THC vape cartridges and the old school alcohol. Nothing on pills, but that's not saying they aren't here.
    This may only be considered anecdotal to many, but first hand, I saw 3 boys in the stall at a bball game, saw a cloud of "Smoke" and smelled marijuana. I told them to cut the shit out, went out and found a school employee, told him who it was. It looked like he spoke with them, but they remained at the game.

There are a 2 kids that I know who have been suspended multiple times for their actions, drugs or alcohol use. They are back in school each time after serving their "time outs"

There does not seem to be any penalty for drugs, usage or sales/trafficking. I have many friend who are MCPD officers and detectives. They have flat out told me that what goes unreported far exceeds what is reported. What gets reported is what gets the attention of news outlets. OD's, arrests and some of the guns and edges weapons.

I was a huge fan of the Magnet Programs at PHS, each of my girls are in them, BUT, I am most likely going to move them to Holy Child if we can get some financial aid

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    'Montgomery County Public Schools will be implementing new safety policies in response to the recent spate of student drug overdoses. In January, five students died from opioid overuse."

Did I miss the Teacher's Union sponsored day of rage protests and walkouts over this?

:shrug:

"It's for the kids!"

:rofl:

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022

Other concerns voiced include whether a student could be forced to meet with their potential aggressor. There are also concerns over whether parents are required to be notified...

"I will say that’s something we’re making sure that we’ve improved upon now," said Jorandby on the question of whether students can "opt out."

Translation; There is no opt out and victims are forced to participate.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    What the hell is "restorative justice"?

I can't keep up with the new BS euphemism-generation and linguistic distortion any more. (And that's probably the intention for the process.)

Epiphany

Feb 5, 2023
    MoCo
    My S/O is a HS teacher…

SROs will not solve this problem, it existed long before they left…

Just remember that police can incarcerate, scold, or ignore - and that’s pretty much it.

Which one of those is most likely to be effective at solving a lack of parental involvement???

I think we all know that we all (across several generations of us) had access to the same things (excluding vapes) when we were in HS, but most of us chose to leave the extracurricular activities, well, for after school… because our parents didn’t blame the school or the teachers for our behavior - they blamed us.

The number of days it is my S/O’s fault that a student didn’t turn in assignment that was handed to them, and available online, is all of the days… it’s never been the student’s fault... IDK about y’all, but it was always my fault that my grades were not what they were supposed to be.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Resource officers run during a mass shooting,you think theyre gonna actually do their job once motley crue's riff starts playing in the boys room.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Resource officers run during a mass shooting,you think theyre gonna actually do their job once motley crue's riff starts playing in the boys room.
    How many mass shootings have we had and cops run to the gunfire and eliminate the threat?

But no, let's take one or two outliers and label an entire profession. I heard all the people in your career field eat soup with their hands...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    How many mass shootings have we had and cops run to the gunfire and eliminate the threat?

But no, let's take one or two outliers and label an entire profession. I heard all the people in your career field eat soup with their hands...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
    resource officer in my HS when i attended back in the day didn't know his guns caliber when i asked him on the spot.

I was talking about SRO's. Theres gotta be a reason they have that detail

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022

Guess no one had a picture of him? :shrug:

"In Maryland, a fourth-degree sex offense prohibits someone from engaging in sexual contact with a student enrolled at a school where the person is employed in a position of authority. It is classified as a misdemeanor charge and carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison, a $1,000 fine or both."

Thank goodness he wasn't violating any W&C laws....

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022

"In a nearly hourlong speech in front of Montgomery County parents, students and community members Thursday night, Superintendent Monifa McKnight strongly condemned a significant increase in hate and bias incidents that have been reported across Maryland’s largest school system.

During the meeting at Rockville High School, McKnight detailed ongoing efforts to combat hate in schools, including actionable steps the school system is taking in response to the findings of its anti-racist audit.

Montgomery County schools is averaging about one hate incident per day in the current school year, she said, triple the number it reported compared to previous years and before the coronavirus pandemic."

As diversity increases, "hate incidents", violence and drug OD's continue to increase.

Because, not enough diversity.

Oh boy...

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Diversity. Hmm? Aren't most of the types of humans we got in MC the same types we've had that have gotten along together for decades? I'm wondering if our new system is training people to feel 'abuse'? I think it is building the victim culture. I guess that's it. I'd like to see the breakout of who was targeted. Curious if there are any groups that stand out.

The one thing that I think is new is a set of beings(humans, fraudster, charlatans that want to compete against women with male bodies) that want to decide they are not the sex they were born as and without a legitimate mental issue concerning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom