• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data

There are links on this page to get the info in 5+ different formats, pick the one best for you

This is packed full of information on mass shootings 1982-2011.
    When, where, who, how, using what, killed, citations
    It was published at the end of december - so it is very current
    There is a lot of other information in the rest of the investigation.

Mother Jones is far to the left - but the info seems solid - real attributions (even if some of the links are dead) - I am sure they did their homework, so it could not be dismissed as evil anti-2a

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    What are they considering an "assault weapon"? The weapon categories are limited to semi-auto pistols, revolvers, shotguns and assault weapon. Implies any long gun that is not a shotgun is an assault weapon?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I did a quick count. About 1/3 involved assault weapons. When I started looking at what the assault weapons were, I noticed several were .22 cal.

A .22 isn't really an assault weapon. More like an insult weapon.

Not a laughing matter, but damn that cracked me up. :lol2:

SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park
    The .22 gets no respect. But I damn sure don't want to get shot by one.

I also don't think I would want to go into battle with one. Unless it was something like a GE minigun.

Yes, the definition of a 'assault weapon' is very loose - I went through a few of them - trying to identify why they were calling things 'assault weapon'

In most cases it seems that it was a handgun magazine (usually the standard factory one that comes with the gun) being over 10 rounds.

The Maryland stuff makes a number of references to "This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine".
    And then also has this in it , "A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:." so it is explicitly exempting rim fire firearms. I am not sure if it is because of a cut and past hack job on the bill, or if they were trying to exempt the .22. The next question is, of course, can we get 5,56 in rimfire ?

Jan 28, 2013
    I've seen them criticized by a criminologist for using arbitrary criteria for what constitutes a mass shooting, I don't have a link handy.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Before we took to blaming assault weapons we had folks like Andrew Kehoe.

It isn't the tool that us to blame....

SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park
    Mental Health

This site just boggles the mind with mental health issues and violent crime. And select bits have been sent in hard copy to those that both do and merely claim - to represent the Citizens of Maryland.

Here are about 500 murders or murder attempts - due to mental health issues, all with attribution --
    It is critical to me that this is NOT viewed as a drug issue - it is a case that you need real mental health care - NOT just a GP throwing drugs at you.

Drugs are useful if you take the right ones - but pills alone are not the answer.

http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=murders

here is the main link - over 4.500 mental health events, including sorting for - murder - murder suicide - school related - workplace violence ... http://ssristories.com/

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park
    I agree that there are errors in the information as to how some of the firearms are labeled - but it is far easier to have a detailed and too conservative list as a start and work from there.

I know that the list was not compiled with Maryland legislation in mind.

I am looking to compile a list that can be presented to the Committees that are going to pass judgement on what may well become law in Maryland.

It is much more helpful to provide more detail in where you think the errors are, than to just say it is wrong.

Team effort here, we are all doing our best.

Thanks

Shaggy

Feb 8, 2013
    Westminster
    The .22 gets no respect. But I damn sure don't want to get shot by one.

I also don't think I would want to go into battle with one. Unless it was something like a GE minigun.

Speak for yourself. When the zombie squirrel apocalypse happens, don't ask to borrow my 10/22.:lol2:

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    Except Adam Lanza--Unclear? Thought his mother was afraid of him, classmates too.

His older brother told authorities Lanza had a history of mental problems, but the nature of them was not clear. Former classmates remembered him as a brainy and quiet teen who sometimes wore a pocket protector.
    Ryan told police he was not involved and that his brother has a history of mental health issues and might have had his ID even though they had not seen each other in two years, officials said.

All I am saying is that it's a great example why mental health issues should be considered for a potential solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom