Maryland Sherriff's position on gun control legislation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Reply I got from him on 1/27/13:

Hello, xxxxxx.

I am sworn to uphold the Constitution and I believe in the second amendment.

I will be making no announcement unless there is legislation that is passed. I have already spoken to some members of the Harford County Delegation and other legislators in Annapolis and they are aware of my position.

Hopefully this addresses your concerns.

Sheriff Bane

So in other words, he'll ride the fence and agree with whatever is passed is how I take that response. I hope not.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    More accurately, Bateman ended up with his frillies in a rumple, and said he'd "follow the law".

What he was quoted as saying sounded more like the "Nuremberg" defensive used pro-actively.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I know Frederick County Sheriff Jenkins is against the bill and actually testified against it.

I saw Sheriff Jenkins personally at Annapolis on February 6, shook his hand and thanked him for the support he is giving us. I was on the second floor, about 20 ft. from signing up to testify, when I saw him and went over to shake his hand. Ironically, not minutes before, MOM himself walked through with his security entourage and said "Hi Guys"

gedelea

Spartan
    Jan 9, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I pinged the Sherriff for Prince George's County, Melvin High for his opinion several weeks ago. No response so I assume he is falling in step with the other elected officials of the county. He appears to be an honest broker so I look forward to speaking with him if he returns my email. I guess its time to call him....

revwood

Cynical Optimist
    Feb 2, 2012
    Kent Island
    Fresh off of FB is Queen Ann County's sheriff Hofmann's position:

Coming from a family that has hunted and fished the counties of Maryland, as well as been an avid marksman at an early age, being taught to be a responsible gun owner by competition shooting as a child, my views are in line with our current second amendment. I agree with several other Maryland Sheriffs when I say I oppose any law or regulation that infringes or restricts a citizen’s right to bear arms under the Second Amendment. The Maryland Sheriff’s Association has agreed to work with Governor O’Malley and our local delegation on the following issues regarding gun control and public safety. The following statements are in line with other Sheriffs who have expressed the same beliefs as I:

1.) Closing background loopholes to keep guns out of dangerous hands

2.) Working with prosecutors to vigorously prosecute those that commit crimes with firearms

3.) Making schools safer by enhancing security and working with school administrators in planning for critical incidents

4.) Increasing access to mental health services for at risk patients

I agree with these common sense points of discussion which identify the real issues associated with gun control that do not infringe on a citizen’s right to bear arms under the Second Amendment.

Overall, proposed Senate Bill 281 will do nothing to reduce, suppress or stem the flow of gun crime on the streets of Maryland. These are nothing more than “feel good” proposals that do nothing more than impact our law-abiding citizens.

For that reason, it is imperative these discussions be had in the House and the Senate, and not silenced unilaterally by executive orders.

My Office has been promoting responsible gun ownership since I took Office in 2006, by supplying gun locks and supporting gun safety programs such as Hunter Safety and training programs for children.

I swore a solemn oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of Maryland, and I’m prepared to defend my beliefs and oath for the preservation of its traditional interpretation.

:thumbsup:

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

Coming from a family that has hunted and fished the counties of Maryland, as well as been an avid marksman at an early age, being taught to be a responsible gun owner by competition shooting as a child, my views are in line with our current second amendment. I agree with several other Maryland Sheriffs when I say I oppose any law or regulation that infringes or restricts a citizen’s right to bear arms under the Second Amendment. The Maryland Sheriff’s Association has agreed to work with Governor O’Malley and our local delegation on the following issues regarding gun control and public safety. The following statements are in line with other Sheriffs who have expressed the same beliefs as I:

2.) Working with prosecutors to vigorously prosecute those that commit crimes with firearms

3.) Making schools safer by enhancing security and working with school administrators in planning for critical incidents

I agree with these common sense points of discussion which identify the real issues associated with gun control that do not infringe on a citizen’s right to bear arms under the Second Amendment.

Overall, proposed Senate Bill 281 will do nothing to reduce, suppress or stem the flow of gun crime on the streets of Maryland. These are nothing more than “feel good” proposals that do nothing more than impact our law-abiding citizens.

For that reason, it is imperative these discussions be had in the House and the Senate, and not silenced unilaterally by executive orders.

My Office has been promoting responsible gun ownership since I took Office in 2006, by supplying gun locks and supporting gun safety programs such as Hunter Safety and training programs for children.

I swore a solemn oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution of Maryland, and I’m prepared to defend my beliefs and oath for the preservation of its traditional interpretation.

Amen.

fjm0008

Jun 27, 2012
    Arnold
    To answer your question directly about Sheriff Bateman, he thinks that there are people running around with AK47's, (direct quote from another member hear and is anti gun and supports this bill. He sent me an email that is in the other thread stating why does my opinion matter and did some name calling. He wants to disarm us, does not support the Constitution or the Oath he was sworn to and myself and other members will work to get him defeated. That is the only message he understands and from his email response he was rattled and knows that we are not kidding when we say we will do something, like show up in Annapolis.

big pimpin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 7, 2012
    Eastern Shore MD

Was just going to post this...Gary is a stand up guy...We love him in QA County :party29:

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I talked to Sheriff Evans at the barber, he said he was going to Annapolis to testify against. I kind of know him, and he seems to be pro-ownership...

This is good to know. I asked the same Question of Delegate Mark Fisher in Annapolis today...
    I'm thinking of sending Sheriff Evans an e-mail.

RustinRifle55

Feb 24, 2013
    St. James MD
    Counties need to do what was done in PA today. Have your local jurisdiction such as a county, town, borough, pass a resolution that no law enforcement resources or money will be spent to enforce any state law that infringes on citizens 2nd amendment rights. This would include no money for enforcement. The local police work for the local jurisdictions. If this is passed by each county and local then all enforcement would be left up to MSP. As you well know they are having enough trouble doing background checks let alone all the other things they would be asked to do.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    The actual Sheriff or the wannabe. I know the wannabe is against it. Haven't heard anything from the real Sheriff.

I could be mistaken, but I thought it was the Cecil Co. Sherrif that testified against the bill at about 3:45 this afternoon along with a few others.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    I could be mistaken, but I thought it was the Cecil Co. Sherrif that testified against the bill at about 3:45 this afternoon along with a few others.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I really don't know. I haven't heard anything about a position on the issue from Sheriff Janney. I know Chris Sutton who ran twice for Sheriff and lost is against the bill and was going to testify today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom